Hey Guys, I Need a Judgment Call.

If you're like me, every once in a while you do, or say something you're not quite sure was appropriate. That's when it's good to have someone you can "run" your behavior by. You know, to get an opinion on weather it was indeed a faux pas. So I decided to create a thread where you can do just that. If you're not sure, bring it here. We'll let you know if you were out-of-line. :thinking:

This is is my thread, so I'll get-er started.

Back story:
My wife's brother-in-law is one of those guys who loves telling everyone how much he spent on this, that and pretty much everything. I certainly don't begrudge him his well earned income, but I do grow weary of hearing how much he's paid for every new possession.

Anyhow, a few years ago he and I are sitting in a pizzeria waiting for our food when he starts telling me how much his prosthetic leg cost. Well before I thought twice, I retorted, "Damn! I knew they were expensive, but I didn't know they wanted an arm or a leg for one." Funny right?
..........He didn't seem to think so. :wtf:

So here I am, asking, Hey guys, I need a judgment call. Was that wrong?

~ Chance

If you need a judgment call, share your story. We're here to help.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Can't stand guys who brag constantly. No, you were not out of line at all, light hearted joke was all it was. Sounds like the guy has issues a tad, he can dish out all the brags but can't take a lil male to male comradery. If he can't take a joke, it's your wife's brother in law. Know what I mean? :D

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were not out of line... people need to lighten up in life and learn to laugh at themselves.
Your wife's brother in law is the type of person who always needs compliments, and hates when anything makes him looks like he is not perfect.

Frijid

Enlightened
i thought it was funny. I guess he didn't "have a leg to stand on" in that argument! If he brags to much, then i'm sure he's bound to "stick his foot in his mouth" some time or another!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
People who brag are typically in need of approval. If the guy's missing a leg, well, he might feel like he needs to stress that he's worthwhile anyway, and, that could be via talking about financial success for example, or other accomplishments.

So, some people who brag have a sense of humor, and some don't. ..

But, generally, as it was approval they crave...jokes that make them feel like you don't approve/make them feel unsuccessful are going to be the hardest to shrug off.

As your comment reinforced the cost of the item. ..it would be unusual to be offended.

As he did get offended, he's just a ****, so, it's ok to hurt his feelings.

:D

ven

Flashaholic
I think that just shows a great sense of humour............of which your wifes bro in low may lack in.

It made me laugh reading it,peeps should lighten up a bit in general i think,he should have removed it and give you the boot!!!

:thumbsup:

Remind him of that you will always be $xxxx amount better off than he was by standing on your own 2 feet:nana:

ven

Flashaholic
I am still chuckling to myself now...............thank god i am alone i dont need any more reasons to think i am round the bend :laughing:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

he's just your brother in law !x**& sake,, relatives always give each other digs
juuuust maybe not appropriate at a job interview ect..:poof:

=People who brag or talk overly loud are really showing a defense mechanism, which is a subject I find fascinating=

add:: Chance, if your brother in law can't find the lighter side to your subtle joke, then that's his problem.

don't worry about it..

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
I'll admit... I laughed... :laughing: ... and I don't feel guilty or ashamed about it either.

Yeah - some people need to lighten up... for sure! :candle:

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, some people you can tease, and some you can't. This is something that all of who are teases have learned, often the hard way.

The fact that you are still thinking about this episode years later and even coming to us for validation leads me to believe that deep down you don't really think it was the right thing to do or feel it was appropriate. I think if you are honest you will admit you probably crossed a line. That is probably the case. We all do it from time to time.

The guy may be a tool, and maybe you can tease him about his $600 loafers, but mocking his handicap is probably where it goes from funny to not-funny.