Hey Guys, I Need a Judgment Call.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people can't stand being the butt of the joke. You were agreeing with him, not calling him dumb for buying an expensive leg. But it could be the other way around. Perhaps when he hears something funny, he doesn't laugh like the rest of us, but instead goes silent. Perhaps his sarcastic defensiveness didn't show enough sarcasm. Iono. I shrug things off and forget about them in a day. Or wait, is it that I just forget about them the next day? I forget. I do like PSM's rationale, though >:D

nbp

Flashaholic
@ Chance -

Actually I did read the thread; yes, all of it. Per your own instructions in the OP and quoted below, I offered my thoughts on the situation in question. I'm sorry that my opinion was not the one you were looking for, and that I did not pile on the guy like everyone else has but rather considered the opposite side of the coin. I will be sure not to comment again.

Best regards,

-nbp

If you're like me, every once in a while you do, or say something you're not quite sure was appropriate. That's when it's good to have someone you can "run" your behavior by. You know, to get an opinion on weather it was indeed a faux pas. So I decided to create a thread where you can do just that. If you're not sure, bring it here. We'll let you know if you were out-of-line. :thinking:

This is is my thread, so I'll get-er started.

So here I am, asking, Hey guys, I need a judgment call. Was that wrong?

~ Chance

Laugh out loud. That's what I was going for. When I said it to wife's brother-in-law, and when I wrote it here for you guys.

It's good to laugh,

~ Chance

My main reason for starting this thread is, again, posted above. MmK? Laughing and having a good time,,,which I think most of have been.

OK everyone, it's time for someone else to share. Have a funny story? Something you did or said that requires a judgment call. Share it here.

~ Chance

Ps nbp,

Don't go away mad Bro. Stick around and have some fun. Please. :buddies:

Last edited:
I'm 57 years old and still trying to learn that at times it's better to keep my mouth shut. :ohgeez:Talk about a flat learning-curve. Reminds me of a hill I drove over in Tribune Kansas.

~ Chance

nbp

Flashaholic
^^^ Me too.

That was really my point anyways. What we said may have been funny or clever (I agree your retort was witty, Chance), but if we see that the other person did not like it, maybe we can learn from the experience and avoid trouble down the line.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

There is a huge difference between joking about someones handicap and having light humor with your brother-in-law over pizza
HUGE DEFERENCE!

We have become far too sensitive to the point of nauseum

(point,, I'd like to say more, but I'd likely be ______,,, point)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
From now on, any time he brags about how much he spent on something, say "Oh really? Man, I just saw that on sale (or online) for about half what you paid. Can you return it and get your money back?"

...... if we see that the other person did not like it, maybe we can learn from the experience and avoid trouble down the line.

That's good advice nbp, Honestly, I'm trying, and I'm having more successes that failures. Trouble is, I've got this sense of humor that really hates to be denied. :devil:

~ Chance

Empath

Flashaholic
Back story:
My wife's brother-in-law is one of those guys who loves telling everyone how much he spent on this, that and pretty much everything. I certainly don't begrudge him his well earned income, but I do grow weary of hearing how much he's paid for every new possession.

There's a reason you offered why he "deserved" to be slapped around. Efforts to have your blow crouched in humor didn't hide your intentions from him. You were still managing to tell him that "you grew weary of hearing how much he paid". He may very well have deserved it, and his being a "jerk" may or may not have made it "wrong", as you asked. However, a slap is a slap, even if it's called a joke. You delivered it in an attractive package, at least.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hilarious. Just the right amount of corny to squash any thoughts of making fun.

If he can't see humor in that, his loss.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, part of living in this day and age is realizing that many of us were told that we can achieve anything if you believe in ourselves,we are all lovable and capable, yadda yadda. Me, I balance things out. If I don't know someone, or I want to make sure we always have a professional relationship, I stay away from the things I like to say. As a result, I turn into a mute, or a stuttering moron. But still, better than pissing off someone important. Fairly recently, I had an experience that has caused me to watch everything I say, because surprise! I'm not that great of a judge of personality, and I told the wrong thing to the wrong person. But still, funny story that gets us all to think about our own personalities and decisions, good post by everybody!

Honestly Guys,

I didn't bust-off that joke because I was tired of hearing him tell me how much he'd payed for things. That behavior became evident later, so, at the time gave me no cause or excuse to justify my bad judgment. Perhaps, as some have suggested, I included it in the story for just that purpose.

I said it because I thought it was funny. I still do.

At the time, I didn't think once about the ramifications. I thought it, I said it. Bam! Not a full second had passed. Was it insensitive? Hell yes it was! Was my intention to offend him, put him in his place, bring him down a notch etc etc? No it wasn't. Truth be told, at the time, we had only known each other for a few months. It probably wasn't until our third meeting that I even became aware he had a prosthetic leg. I remember being surprised when my wife informed me. He carried himself well and had kept it covered with long pants.

Later in the day that I had made my quip, I told him, "Hey man, I didn't mean anything by my joke. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know you had one the first three times I met you." But I could tell I'd crossed a line. My mistake was judging a book by its cover. I thought of him as a big, strong, good-L@@King, successful guy who drove a new Corvette. Brother didn't even limp. I mean come-on, give a guy a clue! Right!?

Years later he told me he was 17 or 18 when he had to have his leg amputated. It was broken during a basketball game, and had to be set in a cast. A day or two later it started to hurt really bad. He called the doctor but was told the pain was normal. Two more days he told the doctor, you take this !@X#! cast off or I will. The leg had swollen cutting off the flow of blood.

Perhaps if he had grown into adulthood before losing his leg he might be more secure. Hard to say with any certainty, and isn't that like saying, If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

I'll repeat myself, at the risk of being rude. I started this thread wanting to share a funny story.

Obviously it's evolved into much more than I intended. I think that's a good thing.

~ Chance

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wait, he drove a Corvette? Ok, all bets are off then. ;)

Seriously though, what a freak tragedy, losing a leg because of the cast. Thisi is the first time I've heard of such a thing happening because of the medical treatment rendered. If only he knew of the possible ramifications before it got out of control, he would have broken the cast off himself. I'm sure he's had the agony of re-running the "if-only" scenario in his head over and over again.

835 views.......and not one of you guys is willing to share?

I used to call Eric and say, "I need a judgment call." And he'd always answer, "what did you do now?"

~ Chance

Last edited:

aoeu

Newly Enlightened
Ricky Gervais once said "Offence isn't given, it is taken". So for the most part I think the onus is on the speaker to be cautious of what they say and mindful of whether or not someone can take offence to it. I'm not debating whether or not the offence should or shouldn't have been taken - the fact is that it was taken. All other arguments about the merit of the joke itself or whether or not the guy is a tool because he brags is irrelevant.

It's your responsibility to say the right thing, it's not the other person's responsibility to share your humour.

Apart from that, Ricky Gervais and Louie CK are some of the best politically incorrect comedians out there and they bring up great moral debates with their humour. LOVE their stuff.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Ricky Gervais once said "Offence isn't given, it is taken". So for the most part I think the onus is on the speaker to be cautious of what they say and mindful of whether or not someone can take offence to it. [...]

It's your responsibility to say the right thing, it's not the other person's responsibility to share your humour.
There are limits to this, in my mind, because if you carry this to its logical conclusion, you would be responsible for offending someone if all you happened to say were a simple "Good morning" wish. People can get offended at things you say for no reason you could possibly fathom ahead of time, because there is no way any speaker can possibly know the full life experiences of every listener, and his/her current state of mind.

Do I think that the speaker has a certain amount of responsibility to try to avoid giving deliberate offense? Yes, most of the time (because sometimes the intent actually is to offend people, in order to get their attention -- see the comics mentioned above, and also many instances of persuasive speech such as advertisements or activist fund-raising). However, since offense really is taken rather than given, it is primarily the responsibility of the listener to decide whether or not to take offense, since s/he is the only one who can control whether that will happen or not. Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to take offense at someone's speech, and sometimes it is better to let things pass, whether the speaker is innocently (unknowingly and without intent) saying something "offense-worthy" or, on the other hand, deliberately or negligently doing so.