• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my high CRI Haiku head which was meant to be a replacement for the XM-L that I told Don that I would be sending back. Since I already paid for both the high CRI and XM-L, I decided to keep both so that I could swap them around. The high CRI is just plain beautiful. The tint is nice and it is not too warm. Now armed with a Mule high CRI and a Haiku high CRI, I felt complete. If only a high CRI could be driven harder for use in the Makai. I am just so pumped up I can't wait to test it out in my next camping trip. As for the XM-L, it is still cool to use for my day to day urban usage since the wider beam profile is much better for general usage.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Don, I ordered some a couple days ago.

Hey Dan, can you take a white-wall shot with your Haikus lined up next to each other? I'd like to get a better feel for their relative brightnesses, and I can't see that when they're in different shots.

Shawn - I haven't forgotten you. Just yesterday I fell prey to a nagging desire to order a new complete host for my lonely, orphaned Haiku XPG engine. It will likely arrive on Saturday. When it does I'll do a white wall of Haiku XPG, Haiku XPG Warm, and High CRI Haiku. Then maybe another with the addition of the 6V Haiku XML

Incidentally, my enjoyment using the high CRI Haiku hasn't subsided a bit. When I walk my pups or need a bit more throw, one of the other McGizmos will come into use - warm Haiku gives me a very similar tint (slightly warmer to my eyes) but with more punch. The 6V XML is just nuts - beautiful, floody beam with enough throw to see what I need to see...but I do miss, as PSM so perfectly said, the "punchy flood" of the original Haiku XPG, and I much prefer to carry the 1x123 size than the 2x123.

Funny, since I received the 6V Haiku XML I somehow lost my Zebralight SC600. While I'd like to find it, I haven't missed it! The Haiku does the job!

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Here's a quick cell shot against white blinds to show how much warmer the Nichia 119 Eiger is compared to the cri haiku.

McGizmo on bottom.

photobucket-3802-1318897638715.jpg

That looks like a big difference. I thought the Haiku also used a Nichia? Is it just that the two Nichia's have different temps?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I wholeheartly agree with Scout, or was it Run4jc, who said the CRI Haiku has no tint. No mind games, just pure light, no artificial preservatives or additives. :D

Side by side, the eiger is too warm, but by itself the eiger is nice. I must admit, I havent touched the Eiger since my McGizmo CRI duo showed up.

And on a side note, the CRI Mule is great, especially with the new clip. Mounts on my gorilla pod for a great bedside/work light.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Don, I ordered some a couple days ago.

Hey Dan, can you take a white-wall shot with your Haikus lined up next to each other? I'd like to get a better feel for their relative brightnesses, and I can't see that when they're in different shots.

Okay - finally got around to it. Scout24 posted some photos over HERE that, IMHO, do a better job than the following, but a promise is a promise so here you go!

First photo was 1/200 shutter, f/4.0, ISO500. The remaining photos were 1/800, f/4.0, ISO500. From right to left (fairly obvious) - the Haiku XPG (new host arrived from Don yesterday - YAY - I'd forgotten how much I liked the original XPG), XPG Warm, then the Nichia High CRI Haiku. I didn't include the XML but can easily do so if you'd like to see it, too. Just didn't seem to quite 'fit' with this photo shoot as it's a 6V XML and it kinda outguns the others.

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

Kinda funky - floor level...
IMG_5975.JPG

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my haiku High CRI today.
Some pics:

haikusmall.jpg

beamshots for comparison
beamsmall.jpg

From left to right:
-Lumensfactory P60 CRI 90+ Cree XP-G
-Surefire P91 incandescent P60 module
-Haiku High CRI
-Jetbeam RRT-2 XM-L cool on low

The lumensfactory XP-G module is warmer and lot more red than the incandescent (although it doesn't really show in the pic). The Haiku is just about perfect. It's a little warmer than mid day sunlight, close to evening sunlight IMO.

Vernon

Enlightened
I've been using mine for about two months and can attest that the color, beam, and overall form is just perfect. For any lighting need within about a 10 foot range, this thing cant be beat. It's in my pocket everyday.

chaoss

Enlightened
Vernon, i will agree but this light punches way beyond the 10' mark that you describe.
For a stated '90 lumen high' reflectored High CRI light this one has decent reach.
I am also very pleased with the spot to spill 'flood' transition that it projects.

Vernon

Enlightened
Vernon, i will agree but this light punches way beyond the 10' mark that you describe.
For a stated '90 lumen high' reflectored High CRI light this one has decent reach.
I am also very pleased with the spot to spill 'flood' transition that it projects.

Oops. I just caught that this was about the Haiku - not the Mule! Well, I guess I still got a plug in for the High CRI Mule.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The way you describe it, it sounds like I should get a light with a Nichia 119 for my mom. She's an artist and would appreciate having a portable Hi-CRI light source with no apparent tint.
I keep wondering if your mom ever got the Nichia 119 light and if so what she thought of it? Sounded like a good match and one that could possibly become her favorite?

deklan

Newly Enlightened
Is it me or do i see rings in the haiku hi cri beamshots? Do they exist in reality or is it due to the camera sensors?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or do i see rings in the haiku hi cri beamshots? Do they exist in reality or is it due to the camera sensors?

There's a pretty well documented ring near the edge of the beam - it can be easily made out on a white wall, but in real use I never see it...it's just the best beam I've ever seen!

deklan

Newly Enlightened
There's a pretty well documented ring near the edge of the beam - it can be easily made out on a white wall, but in real use I never see it...it's just the best beam I've ever seen!

Thanks! Will check it out. :)