• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter for SST-50, SST-90

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Re: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter

Got my 5A driver yesterday ... it works just perfectly. I used it to replace the faulty driver of a Trustfire ST-50 light. Thinking about the cooling of the driver took me a while. The hint using aluminiumoxid mixed with epoxy is probably good, but I had no clue where to get aluminiumoxid quickly without a couple of days "delay" ;). So I used the classic approach: Using (lots) of arctic alumina to connect the important parts of the PCB to an aluminiun piece which itself is glued to the light engine. Should be fine with approx. 1.2W loss at the driver. Powered by 2x protected 18650 battery current starts just below 3A, so I´m pretty sure that the SST-50 gets its full 5 amps.

Now I got a fully powered SST-50 light, which is now the brightest light in my collection, but I doubt that it will be more than a seldom used demo light. Too much heat for the small body and compared to a Mag host with 4x XR-E, the lumen advantage of the SST-50 is barely visible ... maybe I should order a top bin SST-50 from Fred or even jump onto the SST-90 train :devil:

Thanks Yitao for this nice driver!

One small suggestion is that you could add the pin positions to the datasheet, or maybe the color code of the wires too. A small sketch of the PCB with the pin locations marked would be helpful. V+ and GND markings are easy to find on the PCB, aside from clear wire colors. But on the output side it took me a while to find the L+ mark and I couldn´t find a L- ... color wires are helpful, but I heard rumors that there are lots of color-blind people out there :D

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

Nice to hear that it worked fine.

The writing on the pcb is not very good indeed. I think I chose a too small size for it.

I will change it in the next update, thanks for the info.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using epoxy mixed with 65% aluminiumoxid which works very good for this.

It's the left pic below which must be potted closest to the heatsink, right? Should I pot the entire assembly?
Thanks,
Frank
aaa.jpg

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

DW, I believe you have a mistake in your datasheet. In the efficiency graph on the top of the 2nd page the red line is labeled 13.5V @ 5.6A, but it shows input voltages all the way down to 10V. Since, Vin must be greater Vout on a buck converter, something isn't quite right there.

aurum

Enlightened

no ... vin is 10-20V, vout is lower (there is no graph for Vout). Iout is 5.6A ... 13.5v is just an example to calculate the generated heat (13.5*5.6=75.6W Pin / -> Pin*efficiency=heat in W 75.6W*0.02=1.5W loss in the driver) I hope I'm right ;)

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

no ... vin is 10-20V, vout is lower (there is no graph for Vout). Iout is 5.6A ... 13.5v is just an example to calculate the generated heat (13.5*5.6=75.6W Pin / -> Pin*efficiency=heat in W 75.6W*0.02=1.5W loss in the driver) I hope I'm right ;)
You can't plot efficiency unless you fix the output condition and vary the input voltage (or fix the input and vary the output). Given those graphs there must be a fixed output condition as the input is changed. For example driving 3 SST-50's in series at 5A would be the fixed output condition. You would then vary the input voltage, record the data, and create an efficiency plot.

It seems that the output condition for the red trace is not 5.6A @ 13.5V into a dummy load.

Kaulquappe

Newly Enlightened

Hi, i'm trying to decode the Efficiency vs. Voltage diagram. In the Y-axis there is the efficiency in % and in the Y-axis the Vin Voltage in Volt.

But why are there several lines and not only one?

Regards from Switzerland

Luca

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

DW, I believe you have a mistake in your datasheet. In the efficiency graph on the top of the 2nd page the red line is labeled 13.5V @ 5.6A, but it shows input voltages all the way down to 10V. Since, Vin must be greater Vout on a buck converter, something isn't quite right there.

Well, it is not a real mistake. The driver still works but with reduced output.

I think it's:

first line: 1*SST-50/SST-90 @ 5.6A
second: 3*SST-50/SST-90 @ 5.6A
third: 1*SST-90@ 8.6A
fourth: 3*SST-90@ 8.aA

That is correct, thanks for the quick answer.

I'm keeping a list of changes for the next datasheet update.
Next time there will be efficiency graphs with 5A and 9A output however they won't be much different.

If there is anything else that is unclear, please let me know

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

It's the left pic below which must be potted closest to the heatsink, right? Should I pot the entire assembly?
Thanks,
Frank
aaa.jpg

It's enough to glue the left pic which can be glued with heat conductive glue to the heatsink
You don't have to pot everything

Nenth

Newly Enlightened

Received mine today, thank you. I'm using a Britelumens sst-90 heatsink which doesn't accomdate the preinstalled 18 gauge wire. Any advice?

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

Received mine today, thank you. I'm using a Britelumens sst-90 heatsink which doesn't accomdate the preinstalled 18 gauge wire. Any advice?

The only thing you can do is replacing the wires I think or widen the holes.
With 9A the losses are pretty high on thin wires.

Der Wichtel: Can you tell us when the multi mods driver will be available?

Regards Luca

Sorry but I can't really say when I have them. Currently all LED projects are paused because I need to finish another project this month for university:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVJ3MyinGA

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry but I can't really say when I have them. Currently all LED projects are paused because I need to finish another project this month for university:
:poke: How can you let your schoolwork take priority over making a bunch of random crazy flashlight fanatics you know from the internet happy?

Clearly you don't have your priorities straight. :nana:

Just kidding... :oops:

On a serious note you need to make a multi-level 5A driver so you can offer a 3 x SST-50 version of your 3 x MCE / P7 kit. :devil:

PapaLumen

Enlightened

Not to mention a multimode 9A driver for the 3 x sst-90 kit :naughty: :duh2: