Home made lights

sunny_nites

Enlightened
These are some other projects I've worked on.

Variety of LEDs and batteries; the larger two have XM-Ls and 1300mah lipos, one has a XP-G and a 900mah lipo, one has four Nichia 5mm domed LEDs and the other smaller light with the aspheric has a strange Nichia domed 1 watt (or maybe it was 3 watts, can't remember exactly) LED. Both of the latter lights use a 300mah lipo. Note: forgot to put a picture of the four LED Nichia in the family photo but there is a shot of it charging up on the bottom of the list.

All these lights use the same controller set up that I used in the above round/reflector lights; an X Light Mirco controller driving a P channel MOSFET at various max currents, from 1400mah down to about 400mah, except for the light with the four Nichias, that light is driven directly by the controller output at around 80mah.

All but the smallest with the 4 Nichias use a shaved aspheric to focus the light rather than a reflector. With a non focus able aspheric, you really have to compromise with the beam pattern. I guess I would call it a narrow flood. I can post some beam shots if anyone is interested. Not a whole lot of throw but the XM-Ls put out an impressive, somewhat tight, wall of light.

IMG_2774_zpsd9854450.jpg

All have built in battery chargers that use a USB Micro cable. The XM-Ls where the earlier builds and I used a red LED behind the lens to show charge status.

IMG_2780_zps7942068b.jpg

On the later builds I used the translucent button cap that came with the X Light Micro and an orange charge indicator under it.

IMG_2779_zpsb9871d7d.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsf4eb0f2b.jpg

Kind of hard to see but all of the lights have a blue beacon that lights up the switch cap and the lens to assist in locating them in the dark.

Last edited:

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
Heres a couple I've made. The top one runs a 16340 battery and XPG-2 led. The leaning post runs an MTG-2 at 9 amps on high driven by 3 x 32650 batteries.

IMG_00260c.jpg

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently working on a battery vampire light. It's designed in a way that I'll be able to clean it up if a battery leaks in it. The body is made from clear acrylic and the only metal inside the battery compartment are the contacts with the battery. Here's a picture of the body and completed tail cap. The negative contact will be installed along the outside of the body and it's made so that it can be completely dismantled for cleaning should the need arise. The head will use an old Nite Ize 3-LED drop-in that they used to sell for Mini-Mags that would drain batteries down to insanely low levels.

image_zpsf275bff5.jpg

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
Very nice light PCC. How did you go machining the threads in the acrylic? Just imagining it I would think that it would want to chunk of.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott,
Nice work! Love what you did with the brass mesh on the battery tube. :thumbsup:

R.W.D.

Enlightened
Dude this thread fell off my radar and I was searching CPF in google images to see unique lights and I found this thread again and I gotta say y'all have posted awesome creations. I've made many since that little mule which btw burned the hell out of my leg then died. I never realized how intense the heat from a de domed XML is. It literally burned a hole through my pants and burned my leg.

Anyways awesome lights :twothumbs

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
This is a work in progress. It will run a Shocker reflector and lens. Finish date is some time in the future.

22.jpg

The finished light.

IMG_2813.jpg

Last edited: