Home Made Tank Light - The Swan Blaster 260W Short Arc

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Great work ! Like it !:thumbsup:

Ma sha1 ... how it works (maybe ) in recoil version using like original parabola mirror ? Worse than classic parabola ?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Promising ! Nice reflector! Its a long way between idea and finished light, but hey; it keeps you from building all sorts of lights that you dont actually want..;)

It's been a long time, two jobs & a new house, but the Swan blaster project must go on!
Those "unwanted" builds provided the funding to sustain the short arc projects :)

This looks fantastic! :eek:oo: :clap:

Much looking forward to seeing it in action...

Thanks! Hopefully I can finish some massive cutting/grinding & mount the reflector to a collar ring to be made by mag head myself

Ma sha1 ... how it works (maybe ) in recoil version using like original parabola mirror ? Worse than classic parabola ?

The re-coil version is interesting, it could be a good light if the reflector is high quality but its' old & the silver coating in the back
is peeling, the spot is "star shaped" sort like a mis-focused Maxa Beam. Still, 16 Million cps from a vintage 8" reflector is not too bad.

To be fair, because the recoil version used dual reflectors, the bad beam spot issue might be from the tiny built-in elliptical reflector, rather than the large 8" vintage glass reflector. I am not sure who's fault but together, they weren't good enough to be the Swan Blaster...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know your are hoping to get 60" Carbon Arc performance out of something this size, you might as well come out of denial! Although, a new power supply would have to be in order, like a ghostbusters power-pack! Only 250 lbs. and it will run the light for 5 minutes!

BVH

Flashaholic
You know your are hoping to get 60" Carbon Arc performance out of something this size, you might as well come out of denial!

The target for the 60" CA is 800,000,000 CP, right off the manufacturer's plackard, IIRC. Read a newspaper at 5.7 miles. Lumens-wise, somewhere around 491,400 @ 42.5 Lumens per Watt. Probably more because of the Cerium core contained in the positive rod to increase output.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The target for the 60" CA is 800,000,000 CP, right off the manufacturer's plackard, IIRC. Read a newspaper at 5.7 miles. Lumens-wise, somewhere around 491,400 @ 42.5 Lumens per Watt. Probably more because of the Cerium core contained in the positive rod to increase output.

That must have been an unbelievable sight to see when you had that monster. I don't think you could have fired that up anywhere without turning some heads. There isn't really anything out there like it, is there? It is, in a sense, the king of the hill with no regards to size of course.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not targeting Carbon Arc, drawing a line at portability.
I may be addicted, but never in the rehab category :devil:

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small progress made on reflector mouting.

Cut Mad D head into 3 sections:
img2012012100014.jpg

Two of the sections will be used to sandwich the reflector with the Mag tube being the mounting axis:
img2012012100015.jpg

One of the mag cut piece was further grind down & is used to connect reflector to lamp mounting rig. Spring loaded Triple screw XYZ adjustment type. This rig came out of a mercury short-arc lamp house, in which it was used to mount a tiny reflector behind the lamp.
img2012012100016.jpg

The other mag head cut piece is used as a lock ring to lock down the bottom plate using mag tube threaded neck section, so the lamp mounting rig is locked in place.
img2012012100019.jpg

I think I am almost half way there. Just need to figure out a way to mount the lamp to the bottom plate & present the arc chamber inside the reflector at the right height.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks very interesting. What kind of blade is that in your saw? A grinder-type or something else like ceramic tile?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Speaking of Home Depot I got a couple of Maglite 2D LED with the Cree XP-E in it for $15.88 each! What Mag did you sacrifice for your lamp mounting rig? A 3D incan?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Mag did you sacrifice for your lamp mounting rig? A 3D incan?

Yes, it's a 3D Incan. I also just sacrificed a Mag 2C, I cut the tail section & mounted to the bottom plate of the lamp mounting rig.

The Mag C tube goes into the Mag D tube, The C tube will mount the lamp & I'll be able to do focus XYZ adjustments with the tri screw set-up:

My Tri Screw Dual Mag XYZ lamp Mounting rig:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk about being resourceful! The Maglites gave up their lives for a good cause. How are you going to mount/adhere the lamp mount to the reflector?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk about being resourceful! The Maglites gave up their lives for a good cause. How are you going to mount/adhere the lamp mount to the reflector?

Thanks!. The lamp mount to reflector was already done, I has photos in post #29, sorry for not being clear. I cut a mag head, grind it down to a spacer, press fit into the reflector hole & then applied High Temp. (2000F) car exhaust repair putty to perm. attache it. It's the silver core in the center of this photo. Since it has the mag D-head thread, the lamp mounting rig. has a locking ring with mag D tube thread & screws right into it to lock down the lamp mounting rig.
img2012012100016.jpg

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, very cool on the mounting. What else do you have to do now to get things up and running?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work-around with the Mag-parts!

Thanks!

Ah, very cool on the mounting. What else do you have to do now to get things up and running?

Still a long way to go.

Mounting the lamp first w/o shorting out the leads
Wiring w/o soldering. need ceramic sleeve or high temp. sleeved wires better the Teflon
Fan cooling design & mount etc.