Homebrewing!

MorePower

Enlightened
I tried another bottle of the honey blonde last night. Pretty close to done, I think. By the time I'm mowing the lawn this weekend it will be perfect. I'll be bottling my second attempt at a Southern English Brown this weekend.

I had really good luck with a honey wheat earlier this year. I can post the recipe if you're interested. It turned out really nice and it's a good style for people who typically drink macrobrews to try.

cdrake261

Enlightened
I tried another bottle of the honey blonde last night. Pretty close to done, I think. By the time I'm mowing the lawn this weekend it will be perfect. I'll be bottling my second attempt at a Southern English Brown this weekend.

I had really good luck with a honey wheat earlier this year. I can post the recipe if you're interested. It turned out really nice and it's a good style for people who typically drink macrobrews to try.

I wouldn't mind having the recipe...wheat beer is my favorite, especially light to moderately golden wheat beer. Also, what's the expected expense in buying proper quality brewing equipment?

MorePower

Enlightened
Sorry for the delay on the recipe

Honey Wheat
8 oz Dextrine malt (steeping grains)
6 lb Wheat LME
2 lb Honey
1 oz Willamette hops
1 oz Cascade hops
Wyeast American Wheat

Steep dextrine malt in 2 gallons 170F water for 15 minutes, then remove bag.
Bring to boil, add wheat LME and 1 oz Willamette hops. Boil 45 minutes.
Add 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Boil 12 minutes
Add 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Boil 3 minutes.
Turn off heat, add honey when wort is below 190F.
Cool as rapidly as practical, add to primary fermenter and top up to 5.25 gallons.
Pitch yeast when temp is at or below 80F.
Ferment at 60-72F for 14-21 days.
Bottle with 1C corn sugar.

MorePower

Enlightened
Started a Milk Stout last night and drank one of my English Browns as I did so. The second batch of EB turned out even better than the first. I should get the score sheet for it back today and see if my opinion matches that of the judge.

jwestbrook41

Newly Enlightened
My roommate got a small homebrewing kit for Christmas last year and having tasted a few of them I am thinking about getting into it myself. Is it best to start in one of those small (maybe 2 gallon) containers, or is it something to where I could buy a more sophisticated system? I'm a huge IPA fan and would love to be able to make say 3 beers at a time - IPA, Lager, Red. IF I were to buy the homebrewing kit, are there fairly cheap containers to make a second or third type at the same time?

nbp

Flashaholic
Most homebrew recipes are based on 5 gal batches and many people use the 6.5 gal food grade plastic buckets from homebrew supply stores as primary fermenters. Those are very inexpensive so yes you could easily have a couple things fermenting at the same time. Glass carboys for secondary are more expensive but still not too bad, and are a must for certain styles.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey, MP, thanks again for the recipe! I will have to try that out at some point. I just placed an order with Midwest Brewing Supplies for ingredients for a Honey Bee Ale, probably a lot like the Honey Blonde you made. Since it's still warm out, I wanted something light to finish out the summer with, and something that might be more palatable for my sissy drinking family and friends. ;) I'm hoping I get the goods yet this week and I'd like to brew that and get it in the fermenter on Saturday.

I'm thinking October I'll do an amber for fall type style, and then maybe Nov./Dec. I'd like to do something dark, like a porter or stout. So much beer, so little time. :grin2:

Oh, and feel free to drop on of those Milk Stouts in the mail for me when it's done. :drool:

MorePower

Enlightened
Oh, and feel free to drop on of those Milk Stouts in the mail for me when it's done. :drool:

If I make it to Bayside sometime I'll bring a bottle and drop you a PM; my brother-in-law lives there and we try to get out for some good beer when we have a chance.

soundersfan

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay on the recipe

Honey Wheat
8 oz Dextrine malt (steeping grains)
6 lb Wheat LME
2 lb Honey
1 oz Willamette hops
1 oz Cascade hops
Wyeast American Wheat

Steep dextrine malt in 2 gallons 170F water for 15 minutes, then remove bag.
Bring to boil, add wheat LME and 1 oz Willamette hops. Boil 45 minutes.
Add 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Boil 12 minutes
Add 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Boil 3 minutes.
Turn off heat, add honey when wort is below 190F.
Cool as rapidly as practical, add to primary fermenter and top up to 5.25 gallons.
Pitch yeast when temp is at or below 80F.
Ferment at 60-72F for 14-21 days.
Bottle with 1C corn sugar.

this sounds like its going to turn out quite tasty!

MorePower

Enlightened
this sounds like its going to turn out quite tasty!

It was pretty good. I don't think I'll make another batch until next spring, though. I tend to drink darker / heavier beers as the weather cools down and summer is getting close to done at this point. I'll be bottling the milk stout next week.

nbp

Flashaholic
Working on my honey ale right now. A light 'ode to summer' beer that I hope will be well received. It smells good in the kettle! :drool:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm seeing if I can figure out how to post a video, so I'm testing it with a really lame video of me dumping 3 lbs of Minnesota clover honey into my brew kettle.

[video]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7025/td5e.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
I'm seeing if I can figure out how to post a video, so I'm testing it with a really lame video of me dumping 3 lbs of Minnesota clover honey into my brew kettle.

[video]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7025/td5e.mp4[/video]

That's a LOT of honey! It'll kick up the ABV for sure.

What's in the bag? Hops?

I've always added the honey at the very end of the boil, after I've taken the wort off the heat. Too hot and you drive off some of the more delicate smells and flavors of the honey.

nbp

Flashaholic
It does seem like a lot doesn't it? There's 3 lbs gold LME, and 3 lbs honey. I think it will end up somewhere around 6% abv. I was too lazy to make up more sanitizer solution and sanitize the thief to get a hydrometer reading, but based on the recipe's info and some reading I did about this kit on the Midwest Supplies forum I am now a member of, that's my estimation.

The bag is a nylon boiling bag for the hops. I just dumped them in the kettle the first batch, but it added so much extra floaty crap to the wort which subsequently stuck to the sides of the fermenter when the krausen fell and fell back in when bottling....blah blah blah...I just didn't like it. So I tried this method. Seemed to get plenty of wort through it, so we'll see what happens.

I had Glacier hops in for 60 min, and then added the honey with 10 min to go, which brought the boil down. It kept heating for a couple min and just started boiling again and then I added the Vanguard hops for 2 min. Seemed to retain a fair amount of honey aroma. I tasted a bit of the wort, and there was definitely honey flavor and plenty of sweetness, but it was more bitter than I expected. This is supposed to be a pretty easy drinking ale, so I am really hoping that it mellows in the fermenter and bottles. Might have to mature longer in the bottles than the red ale. I don't know, I'm pretty new to all this. Just trying not to screw things up. :eek: I also tried something different with this batch in that I went with the upgrade to White Labs vial instead of the Munton's dry yeast that comes standard. It's pretty easy; just let it warm for a couple hours, shake up the vial and pitch it. Hoping that higher quality liquid yeast improves the brew.

Sooo many variables, it's hard to get it all straight. Either way, it'll still be beer. ;)

MorePower

Enlightened
Take a look at http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

It's a really good calculator; gives you everything from ABV to IBUs.

Your honey ale should end up around 4.8% ABV based on the fermentables you used and the instructions for the Honey Bee Ale kit (I assume that's what you used).

I bottled a milk stout last Thursday. I hope it'll be ready for my birthday next week, but it may take a bit longer than that. Stouts tend to take a bit longer to carb up than other styles for whatever reason. I made an oatmeal stout last winter that went a good 4 weeks before it was ready... not that it stopped me from trying it early.

Kremer

Enlightened
I've always added the honey at the very end of the boil, after I've taken the wort off the heat. Too hot and you drive off some of the more delicate smells and flavors of the honey.

Exactly, its just needs to get hot enough to pasteurize, never boil.

The bag is a nylon boiling bag for the hops. I just dumped them in the kettle the first batch, but it added so much extra floaty crap to the wort which subsequently stuck to the sides of the fermenter when the krausen fell and fell back in when bottling....blah blah blah...I just didn't like it. So I tried this method. Seemed to get plenty of wort through it, so we'll see what happens.

I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag, it has lasted for about a hundred batches so far. I clip it to the side of my sanke boil kettle, works quite well.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey guys, haven't bumped this one up for a while. :wave:

My honey ale turned out nicely. It's not my favorite style, but basically everyone that tried it liked it, so I was very happy about that.

Today I am working on a stout. It's an Irish stout recipe, and I am trying to make it a bit of a chocolate stout using cacao nibs to add the chocolate flavor. It's bubbling away in the kettle right now. It's black as night and smells great. I am super excited about this one!

nbp

Flashaholic
The stout is a week in the bottle and I had to try a QC sample. It's really good! It seemed thin and a bit acrid out of the fermenter, but it has smoothed out and thickened a lot in the bottle already, and carbed really nicely, with a great head on it. I had a Guinness last night and then tried this one today as a comparison, and I am really impressed with it. I will not be sharing much of this one. :devil:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4607/stouts.jpg

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work nbp.This thread reminds me of my University days when I would brew beer in my dorm room closet.Lately I've thought about moving up to distilling whiskey in my garage.Completely legal where I live after you fill out a few forms.The equipment is a little pricey but might be worth it.Here's a pic of a self contained unit available on E-Bay..........

KGrHqVg0E7RkWCBvsBO7zOKmKD60_3.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Man, this has been dormant for TOOOO long!! I haven't brewed anything in awhile and I am antsy for homebrew, so I went down to Northern Brewer and picked up some things. I got a kit for a nice American amber ale that I want to brew this weekend. I also got a secondary fermenter to help clarify and condition the batch better than just a primary. And the most fun part: I splurged on a kegging system! This next batch is not going in bottles, it's going right into a 5 gal keg, so I can have fresh beer on tap! I am super excited about that, and I will have to have a bunch of friends over in a month or so to celebrate; it will be awesome to be able to fill pint glasses fresh from the tap at home. :rock:

What else is going with you guys in homebrew land?

photoai.jpg