• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *CLOSED*

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

I would like three rings when they're all available (take a nice rest so you can enjoy building quality you'll be proud to ship):

Shipping: $7
Single mode::
Warm White: $22
Ultraviolet: $28
Two mode: $??
- 1 Deep red
- 2 Warm white

Since we're waiting a week or so for the UV LEDs, another week or so for the 2-mode rings is no big deal. Take your time; have fun; PM the details when you need funds and a shipping address. (I assume an address different than my PP address will be okay.)

Thanks,
Steve

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened

Would it be a bad idea to sell of my OEM blue LED ring now that I have one of calipsoii's warm white rings? I will never use it again, it's a useless color for me. I will probably just keep it but I may post a WTS ad for it to fish for interest unless anyone can give me a few good reasons not to sell it.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be a bad idea to sell of my OEM blue LED ring now that I have one of calipsoii's warm white rings? I will never use it again, it's a useless color for me. I will probably just keep it but I may post a WTS ad for it to fish for interest unless anyone can give me a few good reasons not to sell it.

Hang onto it. The day may come when you drop your A2 and crack the glass and need to send it back to Surefire for repairs. Plus, who would want an angry-blue ring when there are nicer tints available out there! :whistle:

:D

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rings received today morning. Just amazing rings!!! :bow:
Very nice product and tint!

Cheers from Brazil, :thumbsup:
Dionata!

notrefined

Enlightened

I don't have an A2 (yet), but reading this thread is just about pushing me over the fence to get one. Those warm white rings look great! :)

But the reason I'm posting in your sales thread... since I didn't see anyone else offer (maybe someone did in PM), I'd like to express my appreciation for your hard work by offering to forward a package of springs from McMaster-Carr, so long as you don't need like twenty pounds worth or anything :)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not my best picture, but I had no problem reading by the light of a single LED. The camera dimmed the 3 LED picture a bit - they're actually brighter than that.
ledcompare.jpg

Two UV LED's would fluoresce pretty well in the dark but might be a little underpowered in a well-lit area. If you're going to work with the UV LED's for any length of time, wear eye protection and never look into the emitters.

I'm having some difficulties programming the microcontrollers but I do still hope to have a working prototype by 07/01.

Hope that helps!

Are you using a digital camera on auto? If so it may be the reason you dont see a major difference from 1 and 3 leds. The Auto exposure setting will up the exposure time to compensate for the 1 led.

So if you can set it to manual mode and use the same setting for both pics.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer notrefined! I think I'm going to pass for now though. Speaking with a few people, I guess high-carbon steel is a serious pain in the neck to solder. The last thing I want is people's springs cracking off or something, so I'm going to stick with my little brass tabs for now. They're not pretty but I trust my soldering on them a lot more.

With all the discontinuation sales, never been a better time to buy an A2. Pick one up and see what all the fuss is about. :)

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened

With all the discontinuation sales, never been a better time to buy an A2. Pick one up and see what all the fuss is about. :)

Already working on acquiring my 4th Aviator, 4-flats style FTW! I also tried your recommendation of the AW black/silver label 16340s in my A2 and it's been a great improvement to my A2 experience. Very happy customer of SureFire, and even happier customer of calipsoii.:twothumbs

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened

I just bought an A2-YG in one of the closeout sales yesterday.

it'll take a while to arrive and i'm not even certain my order will go through properly, but if it does i'm almost certainly going to be Ordering one of your UV rings :)
Can you put me in the queue for the UV leds, or do you have enough incoming that you think that you'll still have stock in about a month?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Cypher_Aod,

Congrats on the A2 purchase, hope it makes it's way to you safe and sound. They're a great light and I think you'll really like it.

I ordered a dozen UV LED's, so enough for 4 rings. smflorkey and nokoff look like they'll need 5, so I'll set 3 aside for your ring. Just let me know if/when you want it made.

Edit: whoops! I didn't forget you rdh226, 3 for you as well. :)

I think I need to start ordering more UV's at a time - I wasn't expecting so many people would want them!

Last edited:

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened

Hi Cypher_Aod,

Congrats on the A2 purchase, hope it makes it's way to you safe and sound. They're a great light and I think you'll really like it.

I ordered a dozen UV LED's, so enough for 4 rings. smflorkey and nokoff look like they'll need 5, so I'll set 3 aside for your ring. Just let me know if/when you want it made.

I think I need to start ordering more UV's at a time - I wasn't expecting so many people would want them!

Thanks for your generosity! if someone wants the leds and is willing to pay don't hold out on my behalf, i'm happy to wait for the next batch if necessary :)

i think these are so popular because they're currently one of the easiest ways of getting hold of low-wavelength UV :D

btorrenga

Newly Enlightened

I would like two red rings, please. Thanks for all your efforts in this.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

nanomu, whitedoom34 and ninemm:

Thanks for all your patience with the postal strike. It's been a real pain in the neck not being able to send/receive anything at all. The back-to-work legislation bill is tabled and will be signed this week (probably Thursday). Canada Post and the union are back at the table too so they may reach an agreement even earlier than that. Only a day or two left and your packages should be on their way!

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened

No worries calipsoil, I have no problem waiting for such an great product.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the update! I agree with whitedoom above. :)

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened

Hey Calipsoii, I wanted to let you know that my attempt to buy an A2 failed, and reconsidering my finances (i've just graduated from University!) I've decided not to buy one from another source, so there's no need for you to hang onto those UV LED's for me :)

Once again, thanks for your kindness :)

nwuboy

Newly Enlightened

Hi! I'm very interested in the red and IR LED rings. Can you send me your paypal info?

Also, couple of questions for you:

1) Will these rings fit in any other surefire models? I already have the G2 and G3 LED.

2) If these rings are only for Aviators, can i just go out and buy a current A2 aviator, or are these limited to the specific four-flats versions?

3) Do you know of any way to increase the power output or concentrate the beams so they will throw light out further? Perhaps with an aspheric lens? I plan to use these for night-spotting of animals.

thanks!

shomie911

Enlightened

16 days since shipped and counting :( Hope they work this postal strike out soon...

shomie911

Enlightened

Hi! I'm very interested in the red and IR LED rings. Can you send me your paypal info?

Also, couple of questions for you:

1) Will these rings fit in any other surefire models? I already have the G2 and G3 LED.

2) If these rings are only for Aviators, can i just go out and buy a current A2 aviator, or are these limited to the specific four-flats versions?

3) Do you know of any way to increase the power output or concentrate the beams so they will throw light out further? Perhaps with an aspheric lens? I plan to use these for night-spotting of animals.

thanks!

1.) No, only incandescent Aviators.

2.) Either round (newer version) or four-flats (older version) are fine.

3.) No, there is no practical way of increasing 5mm LED brightness besides waiting for brighter ones to be released. There's no point of using a floody 5mm LED ring to spot animals, the A2 already has a great main incandescent lamp that works great for that purpose. The LED ring is for close-up tasks mostly.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

16 days since shipped and counting :( Hope they work this postal strike out soon...

Sorry shomie911, I'm thinking it's stuck in a warehouse somewhere and must not have made it out of the country in time. The national opposition party decided to turn this into a 3-day-and-counting record-setting filibuster. You'd think they were voting on sending the nation to war or something. I don't know how long they'll try to stall progress on it. :shakehead I'm pretty sure the whole country is getting fed up of this by now - I most certainly am.

nanomu, whitedoom34 and ninemm I tried to ship your rings Fedex this morning but ran into some complications. I've fired each of you a PM.

Hi nwuboy! shomie911 has pretty much covered all your questions but I should add that I don't stock IR LED's, only UV. Actually, I don't even have any UV (or warm white) right now because they're sitting in a Canada Post warehouse gathering dust. :mad: If you'd like a ring made with IR LED's, I can certainly find some and make one.

Latest posts