• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *CLOSED*

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Did I hear it correctly? The Postal Service is back up and running? :)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did I hear it correctly? The Postal Service is back up and running? :)

You betcha ninemm! Your ring will be leaving tomorrow morning as soon as the post office opens up. They're sorting the warehouses today so anyone who has one stuck in there should be getting theirs pretty soon.

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened

Calipsoii,

I would like another warm white LED ring, the one I bought from you has been great and I'd like to outfit another one of my A2s with one. PM me when ready!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

nanomu, whitedoom34 and ninemm your rings have (finally) been shipped! :twothumbs

Once my LED's show up (this week) I'm going to get to work on the remaining orders. Right now I hardly have enough to make a single ring of any of the requested colors.

briteflite

Newly Enlightened

Just scored an A2 and would like to order one warm white ring and one deep red ring to make it perfect. I understand that you will PM me when it's time to pay. Thanks for bringing these to CPF. Briteflite

paddling_man

Newly Enlightened

Please add me to the list for a warm-white ring. PM when ready for payment! Thanks

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the orders you two! My apologies to everyone who's waiting but a) my LED's still haven't arrived and b) it's crunch time for my home renos. Most of my evenings after work have been spent painting. :thumbsdow

In the meantime, here's a little something to whet your appetite. :devil:

archimedes

Flashaholic

:hitit::thumbsup::cool::clap::wow::takeit:

EDIT: BTW, please let me know when and where to PayPal for a multi-mode ring with 1x deep red + 2x blue LED's, to turn my A2 into a "mini-Kroma" :D

Last edited:

Nokoff

Enlightened

nice instructional vid :thumbsup: ...the ramping feature looks very useful...I was wondering if one warm white might be too much for reading in a dark car (yes I can read in a moving car :) ) so now I'll be able to ramp it down a bit if I need to do so...stlll very much looking forward to a 2UV, 1WW combo when these are ready...I'd love to have it for my overnight on 07/21 but it probably won't reach me in time :(

nanomu

Newly Enlightened

That looks like one very cool controller in the 2-mode ring!

You also forgot to mention that because of the nature of the A2, there's always that burst incan available too.

Z-Tab

Enlightened

I'm definitely interested in one of those multi-mode rings. The demo looks awesome. The real challenge is picking the colors... Do you expect to get Yellow-Green LEDs in again?

DM51

Flashaholic

Excellent - and you explain it extremely well in that video. :clap:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just AWESOME. Can't wait to get one of these! One of my wish list items was a VERY low "low" setting - this ring is perfect! I'd like one with all warm whites - set the single LED for ultra low, and the 2 others for max. You know I'll take one when you are ready - already loving the warm white ring I have!

:twothumbs:rock::takeit:

scout24

Flashaholic

I am SO in for two of these rings when they become available!!! SWEET!!!!!

EDIT- Just watched the video, just unreal! Adding so much versatility to an already great light and replacement ring is appreciated! One 1xww/ 2xww and one 1xgr/ 2xww when you're ready! House painting is over rated... :) Paypal ready!

Last edited:

BobVA

Enlightened

Hi Mike:
I'm in for one warm white ring. Please PM me when you'd like payment. If you're getting the parts lined up for the multimode version, I'll be ordering a 1R/2W when those are ready!

Thanks,
Bob

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

After seeing that great demo of the multi-mode ring I want to change my order:

Strike the single mode warm white ring; the multi-mode red+2white will work just fine.

I still want the all-UV ring; I'll have to switch rings on those special occasions when I need UV.

One more thing, don't worry about making my rings until mid-July. :( My car wouldn't pass smog inspection last week so I just gave the mechanic $505 for a new catalytic converter and an oil change. :broke: I just don't have any spare change until the 15th. At that point (assuming parts have arrived and haven't run out again) let me know how much for the two ring order. My A2 really needs these rings.

I hope you're enjoying making these as much as we're enjoying watching your progress and (a few of us) using these rings.

Thanks,
Steve

Single mode::
Warm White: $22
Ultraviolet: $28
Two mode: $??
- 1 Deep red
- 2 Warm white

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the nice comments all, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. They're shaping up eh?

For anyone I shipped rings to just before the lockout - they're on their way but things are still pretty slow. When I asked the Post Office attendant he just pointed me to the "suspension of delivery guarantees" notice and said I'd be best to wait until it's lifted. Sounds like they're clearing a warehouse full of backlog based on priority and my shipping method is way down the chain of importance. If anyone's doesn't show up by the time the notice is lifted, I'll get a new one made and sent out to you, don't worry.

For anyone who put in an order and is still waiting, I haven't forgotten about you! My LED's have yet to show up (over a week late and counting). Your rings are prepared and waiting on them.
pileofrings.jpg

...I'd love to have it for my overnight on 07/21 but it probably won't reach me in time
One more thing, don't worry about making my rings until mid-July.
Sorry you two, but they won't be ready that soon. The ring in the video is really a proof-of-concept right now. I've been packing it around for a few days to see how it does and there are a few things that need fixed before these are ready for use:

• There's a spring directly underneath the microcontroller that flexes the PCB when the head is repeatedly loosened and tightened. This is breaking my solder joints to the micro and causing all manner of weird behavior.
    springandcontroller.jpg
  • The main incan LVR is causing power to the ring to jump around crazily which is registering as false clicks while the bulb is running.
  • The firmware needs more testing to make sure it doesn't have any weird conditions that put it in an unrecoverable state.
Nothing deal-breaking, but I want to take my time and make sure they work before I offer them to anyone.

Do you expect to get Yellow-Green LEDs in again?
These are popular and my local vendor is unreliable so I'm going to search the net and see if I can order a bulk batch of them. Hopefully something in the nice 555nm range...

I hope you're enjoying making these as much as we're enjoying watching your progress and (a few of us) using these rings.

Thanks Steve! I have been enjoying them so far, particularly writing the little C program for the controller. Considering I knew nothing about electronics less than a year ago, I've learned a lot.

The one thing I didn't expect is that soldering the tiny components is taking a toll on my eyes. Astigmatism is worse in one eye so even a magnifying glass doesn't reduce the eye strain. My optometrist recommended against continuing to make these unless I get some prescription reading glasses ($$$). :(

So far I've been doing no more than 20 minutes of work in a sitting but as you can imagine, it's slowing down how many I can make. I'm currently looking at alternate ways to do this - maybe toaster oven reflow or something.

To give you an idea how truly tiny the leads on the microcontroller are:
socket1r.jpg

socket2.jpg

Don't worry though, I'll work something out. I don't plan on going blind for any hobby. :)

Will post again once the LED's arrive and the next batch of single-mode's are ready!

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just saw your post after I sent my PM. Hopefully my UV and YG led rings are just sitting and waiting to be picked up and shipped out to the US.

A little disconcerting that the YG leds are so popular.