Honeymoon period survivors... which of your LED lights are real keepers?

Gatsby

Enlightened
Recent? Not many actually - but over the past year I'd say:

Novatac 85P - just a great light. The only flaw is that it's a tad bit big (particularly when compared to some other 123 based lights) but everything else is so good I'm overlooking the size - all the way back to the Arc4 I'm obviously partial to this interface and functional set. I won't drop this until there is a clear and compelling upgrade in LEDs like the jump from LuxIIIs to Seoul and XREs.

Dereelight CL1H - my compact light with high output and throw. That I can upgrade the pill easily and relatively affordably was a big selling point and keeps it in the arsenal and I reach for it more than I thought I would when I got it. The current 2SM Q5 module is quite functional with two useful levels and battery versatility albeit not quite as bright or regulated as the digital pills.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty picky about the lights I buy. I seldom buy lights just to try or on impulse. I do sell lights if I am not using them but I usually have them for months before I sell them. Basically I try not buy any lights that would not survive the honeymoon.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac 120T ... simple UI and that beautiful beam
Mac Mag P7 ... my girlfriend got it for my birthday

Gatsby

Enlightened
Jury is still out on...

Liteflux LF2 - I love the light and everything about the light other than it's my key ring backup and I keep waivering on keeping a AAA based light on the keyring at all.

CR2 Ion - I'm waffling between this and my Jil. I don't really need two CR2 based lights but like having one due to the output and size. The Jil has a sweet beam - the McR18 reflector and the P4 modded emitter really produce a balanced beam. And its RCR2 compatible which is important to me as I like free lumens. But it is hard to operate one handed due to the design and I'm sort of lukewarm to the flupic interface (not the flupic itself, but any of the twist on, twist off to cycle lights like the BitZ as well). The CR2 Ion has a beautiful albeit very different beam - much easier to operate one handed, I like the interface much better. But while it can use RCR2 cells the low mode becomes much, much brighter and it is effectively a one mode light on them. Not much point in that, and the beam is arguably less versatile than the Jil.

GPB

Enlightened
Surefire E1B: I love this light. It has a great balance of throw, size, feel.....if I had to give up all my lights but one...this would be the one I kept.

3D Mag with Terralux LED: Lots of light for a long time in a solid package for under $50. I was happy with the MagLED, but even happier with the Terralux.

G2L: For a utility light that you don't have to worry about its great. To be honest, I wish I didn't skimp and got the 6P, but hindsight is always 20/20. I'll probably ask Santa for a Malkoff upgrade, but even in out of the box, I've been happy with it. When I sweep the yard at night for scooters, skateboards, and soccer balls, its the perfect light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF E1B, Fenix L0D, SF 6PL, and NiteCore EX10 (my fiancée loves it still after a few months).

If I could only have ONE of my lights, period--it would be the E1B without a doubt.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10, Lightflux 2FX, Bitz, and believe it or not - Photon ReX is always with me.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K. here goes.

I would have to say that my keepers are as follows:
  • Muyshondt Aeon
  • Arc AAA-P
  • MJP Extreme III
  • Novatac 120P
  • Surefire U2... both the previous Lux V version and the current Seoul P4 version
I anticipate that the upcoming Mako by Endeavor will be on my list and it will probably take top honors as my keychain EDC a role currently being filled by the Ti Killer AAA @ 12 ma.

I have a Spy 007 on the way and it will likely also be a keeper so long as Data keeps on building these so that the demand doesn't cause the price to rise on existing models... I don't know if I would be able to resist the lure of $1500 for a light that I paid $1000 for... I'm just sayin':nana:

brucec

Enlightened
Photon II microlight: I've had this on my keychain for almost 10 years. I would swallow it if I thought that would make our relationship closer.

Nitecore EX10: In whatever bag I'm currently carrying.

SF 6P w/ Malkoff M60L: At home.

Fenix P2D: In my wife's flight bag for signaling or emergencies.

Fenix L2D: At home.

Petzl Tikka XP: For camping or hands-free.

Petzl Zipka: I still have not been able to find such a stowable headlamp to replace it. I wish the Tikka XP had the same retractable headband.

ScottW

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam C-LE was my first pocket-sized LED light that was decently bright. I EDC'ed it for a while, and I still use it occasionally. I have brighter and longer running lights, but I can't bring myself to part with this one. There is some sentimental aspect to it too, since it was the first light I bought through a group buy here on CPF, and the first light that I had that could impress non-flashaholics.

Fenix L0D on a 10440. Pretty stupid brightness from a light that small.

Nitecore EX10 GD+. My current EDC, I don't see myself selling it.

A "U2-style" Cree 18650 light from DX gets used a lot around the house and has held up well.

I really try not to buy lights that won't survive a honeymoon period. At least that's the plan going forward. But I do have a number of cheap crappy LED lights that I thought I would mod into something useful, but that wound up just sitting in a box for whatever reason. Some get given away as gifts, some don't. Oh well. I am reducing my accumulation of these since I stopped buying cheap crappy lights on impulse. :laughing: