Honolulu Area Blackout

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Kaneohe here. I agree with cl0123. A blackout for 1-2 hours or less is fun, but longer than that gets old real fast.

cl0123

Enlightened
Mililani checking in.....

I really should buy a couple of AA lights as i picked up 2 packs of those Enloops from costco when they were on sale.

8 AA's and 4 AAA's per pack + 4 D converters, 4 C converters and a charger Per pack..

I wonder if the D10 is gonna drop in price anytime soon.

Aloha,

Conor

Conor,

Great choice! My very first order from 4Sevens. Love the simplistic PD interface and the fact that one does not need to change the grip or need another hand to change levels. However, my particular D10 is not as white as the P1D's, but nonetheless, it is a very useful instrument and can ccertainly take advantage of the AA eneloops.

With Aloha,

Clarence

solar2008111102b.jpg

cl0123

Enlightened
Kaneohe here. I agree with cl0123. A blackout for 1-2 hours or less is fun, but longer than that gets old real fast.

Thanks!

We are supposed to be seeing another storm-system later today. Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing but a dud. However, I am recharging my lithium-ion cells now. This time, I will sure put them back into the flashlights so that I won't have to do it in the dark. Last time I work in a darkroom was like the early 90's maybe? :candle:

If I can get some fresh bread later today and a couple bottles of water, my family will be quite ok.

With Aloha,

Clarence

conor

Newly Enlightened
so far its been pretty mellow with a few short bursts of rain....lets hope it stays that way

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Mililani checking in.....

I wonder if the D10 is gonna drop in price anytime soon.

Aloha,

Conor

Don't wait, My D10 is my current EDC in a small Kydex holster running on Enloops. The D10 is a nice light, cl0123 is right, a very good choice.

Young Guns down on Paa Street got in some of the Fenix line, of course at full retail, I picked up an AW 18650 from them and realized I could have gotten it cheaper on-line. :ohgeez:

Bill

spaceconvoy

Newly Enlightened
A little late to the party, but thought I'd share... same thing happened 2 years ago after the earthquake. Something about HECO's safety system automatically trips the entire grid in the event of an emergency. Friend of mine told me they have to turn power back on slowly, one area at a time, to prevent the system from burning out... they can't exactly flip the switch to the entire island all at once, or else :poof:

As long as it seems, at least its nothing like a power outage in FL (where I'm living now), especially during hurricane season, where you could easily be w/o power for 2 whole days if you live in the boonies. During the outage in HI, I remember everyone was very chill, and people were out on the streets just chatting with their neighbors and partying. We took out a whole bunch of meat from the freezer, set up the hibachi in the backyard, and invited some friends over (cell phones still worked, for some reason). No sense letting good beer get cold!

cl0123

Enlightened
Bracing for another storm? I can't believe our luck :( What a way to start the good young 2009? Are we going to be the first "disaster declaration state" right after Obama's inauguration?

Thursday, January 15, 2009, 6:00 pm.- The Hawaii State Department of Human Resources Development has granted Administrative Leave for Inclement Weather on January 16, 2009 for all state employees except for Civil Defense Coordinators, Disaster Response Workers, and Essential Workers, thus DOE State Office and District Office employees SHOULD NOT report to work on Friday, January 16, 2009....

:shakehead I hope nothing bad is going to happen. Like Rayne said, "it gets old real fast."

Just finished re-inserting batteries into the fluorescent lantern and the tripod lights. Had a chance to, uhmmmm..., "show" my better-half where I deploy the lights and how to use them. Hope she isn't keeping count the number of flashlights that I stashed around here. I am kinda low on AA cells since a lot were used up during the last blackout. Should've just bought that power-failure light from Amazon right away two weeks ago. Should've picked up those folding lanterns from HomeDepot....:shrug:

With Aloha,

Clarence

thegeek

Enlightened
I'm happy for my 4 day weekend! It sure doesn't seem windy now, I'll have to tie everything down just in case.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
UH Classes are canceled, but as I am a grad student I am still expected to show up.

Hopefully this won't be bad, but I am recharging lots of batteries tonight.

thegeek

Enlightened
UH Classes are canceled, but as I am a grad student I am still expected to show up.

Hopefully this won't be bad, but I am recharging lots of batteries tonight.

Hmm, in the emails that I got it stated that all non-essential personnel should not report to work. I'm a UH grad student as well and I don't plan on heading in to class. Which really doesn't change my plans for the day that much, instead of homework broken up with classes it's just straight homework, but at least I don't have to ride my bike through those wind gusts!

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Should've just bought that power-failure light from Amazon right away two weeks ago. Should've picked up those folding lanterns from HomeDepot....:shrug:

And add should've pick up those big Enloop packs I was looking at when I was in Costco.

Yesterday I brought my lights that I keep in my truck at all times (5 ya think thats too many?) in case the lights went out again at work, as they just did before I got there. One of my female co-workers looked at them and said' "I don't even have 1 light and I need 1 just in case." She picked one out and said, "I want this one.", smiled and said thanks. Before I could say anything it was in her purse. :shakehead Oh well, at least she prepared now.

Hunker down guys and stay safe.

Bill

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Some powerful storm that came through today... yeah.

20 mile per hour gusts recorded at Honolulu Airport. :whistle:

It was beautiful this morning, especially when campus was essentially dead.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
LOL......

At least a lot of people were prepared, Wal Mart, Home Depot, Kmart were all wiped out in the flashlight and battery sections. The Coleman propane lanterns were gone too.

+1 for the people.

:oops: for the weather forecasters.

Bill

conor

Newly Enlightened
i had my Costco GE lanterns all loaded up with batteries and ready to see some action. Oh well, better having it and not having to use it, then not having it at all. :poke:

Man it's been cold for the last few days thou! It was 53 degrees this morning when I got into my car.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Man it's been cold for the last few days thou! It was 53 degrees this morning when I got into my car.

Do you know how hard the guys on the mainland must be laughing after reading this.:laughing: Get this, my son brought out a heating pad to put on his feet under the blanket while watching TV, and I took out another blanket to use while sleeping. Yep, 53 degrees is cold for this local boy :thumbsup:
conor said:
Oh well, better having it and not having to use it, then not having it at all.
+1 100%

Bill

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Oh My!

Stumbled across this. Didn't know so many people from Hawaii and friends were hanging out here. Aloha from Aliamanu!

I lit up my house with 3 Rayovac (3D) Extremes during the beeg black-out. They were the "bomb." Haven't find a local store yet. Got mine at Amazon and Battery Junction with Post Office shipping.

Went to Costco yesterday (1/17/). Funny, no "D" batteries left and only a couple of the GE Steelbeams CL0123 talked about on the floor. People getting prepared - which is a good thing.

Aloha all!

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Given the confidence instilled in me by HECO, I've decided to invest in a small generator.

Funny, no one seems to have any in stock on island.

Wonder why? ;)

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
I thought something was missing from that aisle when I was at Costco earlier this week....or maybe I was too busy looking through the coupon book.

chewy78

Enlightened
:nana::crackup::crackup:

thats nothing try -15 F here in wisconsin last week :nana::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Last edited: