House Key Ankle Holster?

Illum

Flashaholic
I wouldn't grind it that far down...some keys do snap. There is a reason why some keys have bigger heads than others.

Trying to retrieve a key snapped in the fob can prove to be more difficult than kicking in a door that's designed to open out...especially if you happen to be locked out in the rain:ohgeez:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cycled into town today and had some copies made. It's funny, but my house key looks identical to the graphic Benson posted. When I got home, I put the key in a vise, taking care not to crush it. Then, I used a hacksaw to carefully cut off the head of the key, and some sandpaper to remove the sharp edges. I'll post some pictures of the before and after in a bit.

I went to my front door and tried it, and it works! The only downside is that without as much metal to grab onto, it is a bit harder to turn the key in the lock. But in all honesty, the reassurance of being able to get in, the DIY factor/the fun involved, and the cost ($1.71 for the copy) more than make up for that. A small hole at the top will allow me to attach a little split ring.

Now, I just need some sort of band, durable elastic/latex to slip the key around my ankle when walking/hiking/being outside of the house without my bike/car. When I was in camp, we had these little elastic bands to identify what grade of swimmer we were. They were thin, did not pinch, and were pretty tough. I am not sure where to find something comparable. I would rather have a stretchy band than something else because they are:

1) cheap
2) form-fitting

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there is often a pocket on surf leashes for a key (It's better than burying the car key in the sand. There's usually one hidden inside most wetsuits as well) Although the part of the leash that wraps around the ankle is usually somewhat bulky. It might be a good start though.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
The only downside is that without as much metal to grab onto, it is a bit harder to turn the key in the lock.

Drill a hole towards the end of the handle and put a split ring on it. that will give it more surface area to grab onto plus more leverage to turn:grin2:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be getting one of these in short order:

http://keyesdavis.thomasnet.com/item/wristbands/wristbands-2/1020?&forward=1

Slim, small, form-fitting; should work great on the ankle!

Illum, that's exactly what I am going to do and for the same exact reasons you state! If I used 20 pound test fishing line, it would be lighter, but with a small split ring, as you say, I would gain more leverage in turning the key. Truth be told, it is the lock's fault, as it does not always turn left or right without a fair bit of force. The lock has always been like that, the problem is just exacerbated by my "new" key with less metal. Once the drilling/attaching of the split ring is finished, I'll post pics.

Is there any simple solution to a lock that does not turn properly, aside from replacing the lock?

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any simple solution to a lock that does not turn properly, aside from replacing the lock?

Go to a local hardware store (where there are people who know about hardware and locks, unlike most "home centers") and tell them about your lock problem and your shortened key. They'll give you ideas about lubricating the lock and/or a little lockset maintenance. Walk in with a few doughnuts and you'll have friends for life.

Illum

Flashaholic
Truth be told, it is the lock's fault, as it does not always turn left or right without a fair bit of force.

something tells me someone stuck a generic key into your lock then proceeded to tap it with a hammer...someone tapped my master lock open like that before. Its called lock bumping and I dunno of any way to repair a lock:(

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some pictures of the finished product! Click on each thumbnail for a larger view; click again for a massive closeup.

Pros:

-cheap
-relatively compact
-very light
-will never get locked out (as long as I don't forget it)
-split ring provides perfect leverage for turning key in lock

Cons:

-may sway a bit when walking/hiking
-possibility of snags
-not flush with the ankle

Overall Verdict?

It works great, it was cheap, and you can barely feel the weight. You cannot see it with pants, and if I am out and about without my car (house key on that ring) or without my bike (house key clipped to underside of seat) wearing shorts, odds are I do not really care how I appear.

Last edited:

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
Ive not been around much lately, so Im just catching up on some old posts.
Great job on your "sawn-off key", looks very compact & still easy-to-use.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! It works extremely well when I am out walking/hiking/with friends sans car.

The first key now has a younger sibling which works on the garage door. Just make sure to sand the tops to smooth out any burrs.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i slimmed down my car key while ago in similar fashion.. and as my car has broken/cracked bumper i stuck a small nail into the hole. if i need to use the spare key i can remove the nail from the hole and push it thru the hole in the key and then get more leverage. (i can open the doors without the help too if i grip it tightly)

i was so certain you had found something like surgical tubing as cord around the ankle..

or the wetsuit material or one of those sports ankle braces material to make an elastic loop.. little sowing and theres a pocket (inside so it wont fall off if gets loose)

or if one only would need it with running shoes or similar ones:

slit a small hole into the runningshoe where to insert the key. (on the side has good space) many do put the spare key under the innersole. stinky maybe but its only for emergencies.

or slightly bigger but still slimmed down key with soldered snapbutton and the other part of the snaplock connected into the flap part of the shoe (the flap thats under laces... not sure what that is called) anyways.. snaps the key into the flap.. underside for extra security.

cool topic btw. makes one think of options how to carry or hide a spare key..

surgical tubing.. one could jam the keypart inside it.. it wont make the metallic clink sound anymore.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
If you're wearing a belt whilst walking put the pin on the belt buckle through the keying and tighten belt as usual, works great when running.