AAA ZebraLight

• Yes that seems like a great idea, I'd buy it

Votes: 50 54.9%
  • No i don't like it, i wouldn't buy it

Votes: 41 45.1%

• Total voters

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting 3 year old thread ressurrection. I think a 1AAA headlamp would be unusefully small with problems of output vs runtime making for very short runtimes at high output, or long runtimes at low output. Perhaps when LEDs are available in the 200lumens per watt range it could be revisited again.

I think it would be of limited use but the main issue is I don't think anyone would pay $60 for a Zebralight AAA. The only point would be small and light weight but if made from metal you might as well just make it a AA headlamp.

If it was cheap and a niche type of headlamp I can see a very lightweight (1 AAA lithium) headlamp that only has a high of 50 and a low of 5 lumens with a very floody beam. Put in in a comfortable headband where you don't even feel the light. It's a walking the dog at night kind of product :)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the iTP H01 headlamp as it uses a single AAA. It is unfortunate it uses a different head than the iTP A3 which has substantially more runtime than the H01. Not sure if it's a higher PWM in the H01 but it is a lot shorter runtime than it's non headlamp siblings. Also perhaps they increased the voltage cutoff as it is a bit higher than the A3s. I'm sure Zebralight could do a decent runtime with a AAA

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Not to hijack your thread but I must ask why? Why would u rather use an AAA instead of a CR123A? Wouldn't the runtime and overall brightness be better with the 123?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but the shape of 123 is not right for a lightweight headlamp. To stop bouncing you need as flat to the head as possible. That's not even mentioning the choice of only high maintenance li-ion cells or expensive and inconvenient primaries for the 123 format.

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened
Not to hijack your thread but I must ask why? Why would u rather use an AAA instead of a CR123A? Wouldn't the runtime and overall brightness be better with the 123?

Totally agree with what Redforest said about 123 battery choice. The key to reducing bouncing is a flatter light that doesn't protrude from your head as much.
The 80 lumens put out by my current H501W is more then sufficient for lighting up a dark road while running. There is slight bouncing even with an AA. The flood beam of the 501 makes it less distracting as you don't see a dancing ball of light, but rather a large circle.

I think 30-50 lumens is the most you would need to see what's going around while running a fast pace. With current LED's this should be achievable in an AAA light. Would more light be nice, sure but not at the expense of comfort or added bounce.

Last edited:

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened
I like the iTP H01 headlamp as it uses a single AAA. It is unfortunate it uses a different head than the iTP A3 which has substantially more runtime than the H01. Not sure if it's a higher PWM in the H01 but it is a lot shorter runtime than it's non headlamp siblings. Also perhaps they increased the voltage cutoff as it is a bit higher than the A3s. I'm sure Zebralight could do a decent runtime with a AAA

The problem I have with this style of light is the shape is likely to add bouncing issues. I don't like spark lamps for this very reason. A 501 angle style would be better.

KingPro500

Newly Enlightened
I want a AAA too. This is really what i am looking for, i am so happy with my H51.

garbman

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion I don't see a reason to buy an AAA headlamp.
The runtime would be much more less than the setups existed (123, AA, 18650's)
that for me is a big minus.
Probably in the future with some more efficient leds.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The reason, the only reason, would be for the smaller size, for which reason, I would most definitely be interested in one.

I think unless it is a 5mm based headlamp a decent reflector/optic would fit a larger battery size better... or at least 2AAAs.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I think unless it is a 5mm based headlamp a decent reflector/optic would fit a larger battery size better... or at least 2AAAs.

i keep thinking something like the Fenix E05, but an anglehead headlamp version. 3 hours of 30 lumens and ultra light with a super low profile would be about right for a runner. it would be a tight niche for sure; a very specialized item.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole point would be for the smallest size and weight in a headlamp. You would use it on low. If you need a serious headlamp you would buy something else. If it was fairly cheap it would play a niche role. It could have a 1/8" bungee as a headband which would wrap about the light when not being used and could be kept anywhere.

Make the levels 30,3 and .3 lumens and it would be interesting (and a novelty).