How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I use https://www.jackscountrystore.com/secure/Catlamp.html as the best source and prices for the Aladdin lamps.

I have 1 brass table lamp, 1 pink Lincoln drape lamp, 1 Genie III lamp, 2 Genie II lamps.

If you plan to use the lamps more than once in a blue moon, do not get the Genie II lamp because it does not have a filler port. you have to unscrew the burner to fill it (messy).

All the new lamps come with the model 23A burner and heel-less chimney now, so the chimney breakage problem with the lox-on has been fixed.

Mee201

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an antique kerosene lamp. I't does not have a wick. I't has a round thing with hole all around it. I think after you put the kerosene in the bottom, you light the round thing.
I't reminds me of something you'd see in gun-smoke. I think it is an Aladdin Kerosene lamp.

I am afraid of it as I do not know how to use it.

I purchased some kerosene lamp oil from Northern lights lamp oil. I got it from www.glassdimensions.com

Can anyone tell me how to use this lamp correctly without getting hurt?

Thanks
Mee

Kirk said:
Hey All!
I bought an Aladdin kerosene lantern a few years back to use for power outtages. I bought the Aladdin because it uses a mantle, like a Coleman, but requires no pumping and makes absolutely no noise. It's bright (60 watt equivalent), and one fueling lasts about 8-10 hours. The tank, stand, and chimney are made of clear glass, the burner is brass and the whole thing stands about 25" tall. Our house is full of antique furniture and this lamp fits in great; it stays out all the time.
Kirk

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aladdin uses a circular wick. It also needs a mantle and a special tall chimney.

Here are some aladdins:
http://www.lehmans.com/sdx/H21374.jsp

Here's the fuel I use:
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=245

There used to be a great hardware store around here that sold this KleanHeat for $10 a gallon, but the place went out of business. When I run out, I'll need to look around.

Aladdin recommends either this stuff or k-1 kerosene. I bought some "1-K" kerosene from Walmart and it was too stinky for me.

The fuel you bought may work. They say that stuff is more viscous and travels up the wick slower. You may need to fill the font above half full.

Like any lamp with a flame, you need to be careful. Some say candles are more dangerous than kerosene lamps though. The air coming out of the chimney of an Aladdin is considerably hotter than with other kerosene lamps. You need a few feet of clearance above the chimney.

http://www.aladdinknights.org/lighting.htm

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't all mantle lamps need pressurization?

Anyway I'd be skeptical of using any type of fuel lamp as a light source these days (inefficient, fire hazard) unless you really need that much light for long periods. As a heat source it may be preferable to alternatives. In a place without electric power I'd just try to plan my light-needing activities around the availability of daylight, just like humans and other species have done since the dawn of life, and use flashlights for when I need to do something in the dark, accepting their limitations and not trying to make imitation daylight.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[highlight] Paulr quote
[Don't all mantle lamps need pressurization?
[/highlight]

The Aladdin doesn't. It's like a normal kerosene lamp but the burner allows sufficient oxygen so the flame is blue and hot. It also uses a taller chimney that increases the draft.

I made some temperature measurements. At one foot above the chimney, the air is 340 °F. At 16 inches it's down to 200 °F. At two feet it's 120 °F. Your mileage may vary. They make a diffuser that sits on top of the chimney to break up the flow and cool things down.

I would not recommend this lamp to most people for emergency use for several reasons. I do however recommend a Dietz or similar kerosene lantern, but I guess that's a subject for another thread.

Here's my rig.
1_both.jpg

Wick raised so you can see it.
3_wickRaisedHigh.jpg

Ignition
4_ignition.jpg

Blue flame
5_blueFlame.jpg

Chimney on.
6_chimneyOn.jpg

Main engine firing
8_blueAndGlow2.jpg

Night launch
9_selfGlow.jpg

LIftoff
11_fullLampDim.jpg

Too bright for camera. Ever try to take a picture of a 40 watt bulb?
12_bright.jpg

Last edited:

Utik

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to throttle these lamps down? Occasionally, I prefer a dimmer yellow'er light for mood lighting purposes.

Utik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

So there are no issues with smell or smoke or incomplete combustion messing up the wick or mantle?

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
You will get some smell when you first light it (a very little) and when you put it out (a bit more.) The only time you get smoke is if you turn it up too high - this is easy to detect because you also start depositing carbon on the mantle.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[QUOTED from Utik]Is it possible to throttle these lamps down? Occasionally, I prefer a dimmer yellow'er light for mood lighting purposes.[/QUOTE]

The glow is somewhat yellow in any case. My camera is apt to get the colors wrong. It is a relatively cheap camera and I am definitely an amateur picture taker. If you notice the colors are all over the place in the sequence of pictures I took.

I've been told that since they took the thorium out, all mantles are now dimmer and yellower than they used to be.

Another problem with my camera, and maybe all cameras, is the mantle and indeed the flame of any kerosene lamp is too bright for the camera. The color always comes out white when it should be yellow.

By playing around with the settings of the camera, I can get the picture to come out with various colors, but the mantle of the Aladdin, and the flame of a kerosene lamp still comes out white.

This picture has a better color than the bluish color of my last picture.
keroseneLamps027Cropped.jpg

I only got the Aladdin to see what it was about. With the mantle and the tall chimney it's rather fragile and I seldom use it. When I do use it, it stays on the kitchen table.

When the electicity goes off, I usually get out my Dietz lantern. It's much more rugged, and if used with care, can be useful in emergency situations. It's much dimmer than the Aladdin, but it's enough to keep from tripping over the furniture. I think this one is rated around seven candlepower.
keroseneLamps004.jpg

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the Dietz (spoken like Deets) and wondered about the candlepower comparison. I've saw them in 7, 9, 12, and 15 candlepower. Can anyone give me an example of how much 12-15 candlepower of light would be like? I've used these lamps when young and when it's pitch black outside you can see fairly well with them.

kq2h

Newly Enlightened
Fuel pooling (was: How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?)

One of the replies mentioned fuel pooling at the bottom of the burner. That is a common problem in some model 23 burners. If it isn't addressed, at best, kerosene will spill on your hand when you pick up the lamp....at worst the kerosene gets hot, begins to vaporize and catches fire!! I've had model 23 burners with the pooling problem, and the fix is really easy. All you need to do is drill small 1/16" holes in the bottom of the burner to drain the kerosene back into the tank. Aladdin did this in older style burners... but they abandoned the practice in model 23 burners. I've used my lamps for years without any problems, and no odors.... using kerosene and no exotic lamp oils... Mine are tall table lamps with glass shades. I use the taller high altitude chimneys. They give you a little more draft and hotter flame.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Fuel pooling (was: How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?)

Hello Connortn,

If you take the square root of your candlepower numbers, you will come up with the throw down to 1 candlepower. This is close to a single candle.

So, 9 candlepower will throw 3 feet. You can check Quickbeams throw charts to see where this fits in and get some idea of what you are looking at. For example, the Dorcy AAA LED light has a throw of 4, which would give a candlepower of 16.

Tom

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
connortn said:
I've been looking at the Dietz (spoken like Deets) and wondered about the candlepower comparison. I've saw them in 7, 9, 12, and 15 candlepower. Can anyone give me an example of how much 12-15 candlepower of light would be like? I've used these lamps when young and when it's pitch black outside you can see fairly well with them.

I wish a 7 candlepower lamp would give the light of seven candles, but apparently it's not quite that simple. I notice the CP rating of the same lantern varies all over the place depending on what web site I'm on. I guess different people use different candles when measuring :)

I think any of the Dietz lanterns with either the 5/8 inch or 7/8 inch wick would do. The brighter ones are apparently bigger, but I guess that's no surprise. Of course we're talking cold blast lanterns here. Those are the ones with the two tubes that enter the "can" at the top. Other lanterns are mainly collector's items or for use only outdoors as decorations.

Mine has a 5/8 inch wick, short globe, and stands 11 1/2 inches high, It's kind of an oddball. It's called the m2000 (millennium). It seems to be similar to the #30 little wizard.

I guess most lanterns use the short globe these days. They are easier to clean and give almost as much light.

I think any of them would give enough light that you could go out to the cow barn and milk the cows. That's what my grandfather did. They never had electricity at their farm. They used kerosene lamps in the house. When my mother was young, her job was to clean the chimneys every day.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fuel pooling (was: How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?)

kq2h said:
. I've used my lamps for years without any problems, and no odors.... using kerosene and no exotic lamp oils.

That surprises me. The only kerosene I know of that doesn't smell is Klean Heat. Unfortunately my local supplier went out of business. I bought some "1-k" kerosene at WalMart. It's made by the same company that makes Klean Heat. I haven't tried using it yet, but the smell comes right through the unopened jug. This smell isn't strong or offensive to me but seems a bit out of place in a modern home.

I think people use the "lamp oil" because it's locally available and has no smell. I'm told it's a little more viscous than kerosene but works okay in the smaller lamps with a wick of 1 inch or less, but gives a somewhat smaller flame.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do I put the batteries.... LOLOLOLOL

Nice lamps, I have a Dietz to, I like the romantic wharm white color of light these lamps produce.

Regards,

Ra.

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at Aladdins for years, and never bought one because the old Coleman gas lantern worked just fine.

What are the advantages of the Aladdin over the Coleman gas unit?

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
Trouthead,

By Coleman gas do you mean the propane-based or liquid fueled Colemans?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of possible advantages, depending upon which of the two Coleman types you're talking about:

1. No hissing noise - completely quiet (Coleman gas lanterns may be quiet as well, I don't own one so I'm not sure this point qualifies. Kerosene pressure lamps, such as Petromax, hiss)

2. Look better. I haven't seen any Coleman gas lanterns other than basic camping green. If they offer them, or if you prefer the camping green, then this "advantage" doesn't qualify.

3. Burn time per unit fuel storage volume. Again, I don't use the Coleman lamps so this is more of a guess, but I think the kerosene storage space is likely less than the Coleman gas.

4. If you're talking about the Coleman liquid fuel lanterns (I think I've seen this referred to as "white" gas) - kerosene is much less volatile - no explosion concerns AFAIK.

That said, I would expect a Coleman would be much, much better for camping (we use our Aladdins on the back patio during the spring, summer, and fall.)

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aladdin is intended to be used in a house. As far as I know, the Colemans are for use outside.

The Coleman gas lanterns, whether gasoline or propane, use volatile fuels under pressure. If something goes wrong, bad things would happen if it was indoors.

The Aladdin uses a non-volatile fuel that is not under pressure. There is very little that could go wrong with the lamp that would cause trouble. Of course if it's used in a careless manner, that's another story.

If I had to use a pressure lantern inside, I think one that burned kerosene would be preferable.