How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I fished out my old Dietz copy lantern and cleaned it up last week. I filled it up with some good clean kero I picked up at Lowes on discount. It's a good bit brighter than a table candle (I compared them) but a bit low for reading next to it. I think the yellow flame limits it somewhat for this use. I walked around outside with it and found it works best when holding it as low as possible at arms length. The large bottom of the lamp creates a large shadow around your feet when held higher. The light from it is OK for walking around outside and finding where things are, but I wouldn't want to tear the lawn mower apart and work on it in the dark. It could be done, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I recently picked up a Komos Concierge lamp. It has a wick of about 2.25 inches width that is shaped into a circle, giving off a nice brighter light than the flat wick lanterns. There's a #14 and #15, the difference being that the #15 uses a small disc in the center of the top of the round wick to spread the flame out wider, thus increasing light output and using a little more fuel in the process. The chiminey's are different on the two models. They will interchange but they are specific to the lamps flame and safety. Use the #14 on the #15 and it will very likely shatter from the wider flame and extra heat. Use the #15 on the #14 and it won't shatter, but it will decrease the lamps output effecently. Some say the #15 is a little more problematic due to having to watch the lamp for 10-15 minutes after lighting. As the metal flame spreader gets hotter, the flame increases in size and if set too high to begin with, it can start smoking. Here is what one fellow says about it:

www.endtimesreport.com/kero_lamp_test.html

I personally purchased the #15 with an extra #14 chiminey and round globe (the globe will not fit the #15 chiminey). From what I have learned, the only difference in the two, other than the chiminey, is the flame spreader. Removing it makes your #15 a #14, then put on the approperate chiminey. Using it indoors, it's definately brighter than my normal oil lanterns and Dietz copy. I can acually read by it when it on a table near me. It's not a white light as I understand the Alladin lamps are, more of a pale yellow. Most lights looks yellowish at low lumens, so I suppose this may be some of what I'm seeing. I do know that if you look at it, you'll be seeing dark spots for a few minutes. :whistle: I would rate it at about the same as a 25 watt soft white light bulb with a light yellowish tint. I haven't tried using the flame spreader yet. It's suppose to increase the output 25% or more.

Here is the place I purchased mine: www.oillampman.com/Page13.html
They are about 2 hrs. drive from home so the wife and I visited them. I will say they are unique if you decide to visit them. Unique, but very helpful.

Hope this helps someone trying to decide on these for lighting. I don't like recomending open flame lighting to people I don't know personally and think they are safety minded enought to use them. I don't know anyone here personally, so choose wisely!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Kosmos lamp is nice. I haven't seen one, but I've read about them. With the 2.25 inch wick it's much brighter than any Dietz lantern. Lamps, not lanterns, were used to light most homes 100 years ago. I suppose most people couldn't afford one that nice and bright.

My preference for lanterns is because they are more rugged and a bit more forgiving of our carelessness They were designed to be carried around. I guess they were used mostly outdoors or in the barn. They work fine in the house though. Of course Mrs. O'leary's cow has shown us that even lanterns can cause trouble :)

I think all kerosene lamps and lanterns except those with mantles produce the same color flame. It's the same as a candle flame. Of course they are brighter than candles because of the wider wick. The color is definitely yellow. It's caused by clumps of carbon atoms incandescing. Scientists are still learning about the details. Apparently it involves quantum mechanics. Here's one explanation:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00873.htm

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're on about lanterns (my other collecting hobby) I'll repost the picture of my recent find which is a c1919 "Student Lamp" with a dual wick Plume and Atwood burner in it.

PlumeAtwood_DuplexDeluxe.jpg

Now if you want to talk lanterns and lamps, here's the place to contact!

Wooden Shoe Antiques
http://www.woodenshoeantiques.com/

click on the "take a tour of our shop" the place is an "oil burners" dream!
(oh and he carries the Kleen Heet stuff too)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my first Aladdin in about 1970; just bought another one brand new at a sidewalk sale. They're good tools. I would not leave one unattended -- nor use it right after an earthquake, for fear of significant aftershocks -- that's what battery lights are for!

But for light bright enough to read by, and heat combined, in an emergency, it's nice to have them to fall back on.

You can buy chimneys in various heights -- taller will draw better and be cooler at the top, though be a bit more top-heavy obviously.

You can buy lampshades that fit these lamps, nice for tabletop use.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
hank said:
You can buy chimneys in various heights -- taller will draw better and be cooler at the top, though be a bit more top-heavy obviously.

I've never experimented with changing the chimney height, but extending the chimney with aluminum foil seems like a good idea. It wouldn't add any weight, it doesn't break, and the price is right.

Last edited:

Joe_Karp

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at Aladdins for years, and never bought one because the old Coleman gas lantern worked just fine.

What are the advantages of the Aladdin over the Coleman gas unit?

Near instant light, no pumping. Only thing is you can't use Aladdins in any kind of breeze. For camping we use a Coleman piezo ignited double mantle with propane cylinders. At home and when in the cabin we use the Aladdins.