How do you carry your cell phone????

jymkym_1

Newly Enlightened
Just curious as to how everyone carries their cell phones, i usually carry mine in a holster clipped on my front pants pocket, i'm sometimes worried that by carrying it inside my pants pocket (especially in the summer months) that heat build up or moisture that might form from being inside my pocket might do harm to the internal electronics of the phone... Maybe i'm worrying for nothing, anyone have any opinions on that????? thnx

Malpaso

Enlightened
In a BCC pouch with a metal clip on my belt. I only keep it on vibrate, never any ring noise, and the metal clip rides against my hip bone and transfers the vibrate quite well so I never miss a call.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Clipped inside my left front pocket, no holster. I made the clip myself and found a way to securely attach it to the phone. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out :grin2:

I was sick of having the phone bounce around in my pocket, and I don't like the look of cellphones in holsters clipped to belts etc. (no offense to the people that carry their phone that way, I just prefer a little more "stealth" and simplicity :) ).

BillCurnow

Newly Enlightened
I have two holsters for my phone. The first is a plastic belt clip that swivels (sample here) that I use on those rare occasions when I must wear a suit.

The rest of the time I wear a NiteIze universal holster that also carries a Gerber Shortcut, a small gerber folder, and a Inka pen. The holster is a tad small for my purposes (it doesn't hold my Arc-AAA P and the Shortcut is destroying the pocket its stored in) but I've yet to find the perfect solution.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxpedition small cellphone belt holster. Link.

Edited: no offense taken Isak. :) I too prefer not to carry it on my belt, but can't figure out a better way.

I'm thankful just to have a cell phone. I remember the old days when we went through life without one. Someone has a heart attack and you can't locate your family. Car breaks down in the middle of Bumblehoot and you are stuck there until an axe murderer picks you up. Fun.

cheers

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
I wear Carhartt "carpenter" jeans to work everyday. Gotta love an office where Carhartt's and polo's are the norm. So my phone rides in my left side tool pocket. I also have a small ~1.25" lanyard that sticks up in the pocket, and sits about level with the opening of the pocket so I can pull it out easily without digging.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
CountyComm's MPCC, horizontally on my belt, to the right. My cellphone is a Siemens ME75. Dust- and splashproof, no flip phone (since both my last Motorola's died near the hinge after one year), no frills, long battery life. Love it.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
BillCurnow said:
I have two holsters for my phone. The first is a plastic belt clip that swivels (sample here) that I use on those rare occasions when I must wear a suit.

The rest of the time I wear a NiteIze universal holster that also carries a Gerber Shortcut, a small gerber folder, and a Inka pen. The holster is a tad small for my purposes (it doesn't hold my Arc-AAA P and the Shortcut is destroying the pocket its stored in) but I've yet to find the perfect solution.
Also in the smaller Nite Ize universal holster, clipped to left pocket. Those clips are really something else. Also, it holds a Gerber Sonic or Peak Matterhorn in the side's elastic bands well.
I'm not out to show my phone off, it's atleast 10 years for Gods sake. It's just more comfortable when driving/sitting to not have it jab me in the ribs on my belt.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I have a poor-mans's version of the Maxpedition worn horizontaly on my belt. It goes left or right depending on when I remember to put it on, LOL.. I was going to get the Maxpedition when I noticed that the Maxpedition has adjustable velcro tabs as the loops for horizontal carry, and if they're meant to rip open ever, on me it will.

I've lost and destroyed so many cell phones over the years, and had every kind of clip and holster fail me, that I needed to make something absolutely bomb-proof. (Or more correctly, seatbelt and chair arm rest proof) Pocket carry is pretty good for that, but I hate having uncomfortable lumps when I sit, and I don't like keys and change scratching up the phone.

I was going to use the holder I "made" on a temporary basis until the Nite Ize came out with the new line, but this has worked so well, it hasn't needed replacing. And even the Nite Ize has some potential "points of failure" for me. Magnets and velcro can come undone, or get ripped open. I wanted something that would rip my pants, my belt, or crush the phone before it would open unintentionaly. If I could get the bomb-proof closure of my modified pouch with the extra EDC loops of the Nite Ize, I'd be in heaven, but for now the closure and retention is a higher priority.

On a previous cell phone holster thread, another poster here (I forget who, and am too lazy to search, sorry. Speak up if you recognize yourself.) put me onto the "AWP" brand toolbelt phone pouch from Lowe's. It was only $4.00. It was typical black ballistic looking nylon, and had a velcro closure. On the back it had a rivited metal belt clip similar to a tape measure for vertical carry, and under that a broad piece of nylon webbing for horizontal carry. (my preference)

I used it until the velcro started to weaken a bit. At that point I put the second phase of my plan into action. I had a cheap freebie laptop bag from a conference, and I cannibalized it for it's fastex-style buckle and a short piece of nylon webbing.

I carefuly unstitched the positive fuzzy velcro patch from the face of the AWP's body to get it out of the way, and I then cut down the flap with the negative velcro hooks that closes the holster. Then, using a piece of the nylon webbing from the laptop bag, I secured the female fastex buckle to the body of the AWP phone carrier using a curved needle and black thread. Then, I looped the cut down flap through the male end of the fastex buckle and stitched it over onto itself.

So now I have something pretty close to the Maxpedition, but with no points of failure.

My current phone is a beat up Sayno with no special features. It was my wife's after I lost my most recent phone last spring. The deal is that whenever I lose a phone, she get's the new one, unless I can hang onto it for 18 months until I can qualify for the free $150 from Sprint to re-up our contract.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I usually wear them Carpenter/Painter's style jeans, so my mobile rides in the side pant pocket. If "traditional" jeans or slacks, then back pocket.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Horizontally on belt, right side. There's a pass thru for the belt(1.25inch), and I later removed the metal clip since I never used it. Found the pouch at Target($10).

cellphonepouch.jpg

cellphonepouch1.jpg

cellphonepouch2.jpg

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Stormdrane said:
Horizontally on belt, right side. There's a pass thru for the belt(1.25inch), and I later removed the metal clip since I never used it. Found the pouch at Target($10).

Stormdrane, that's essentialy what I wound up with when I modified the inexpensive AWP case from Lowe's by sewing on that Fastex buckle.

If I could get the Nite Ize with a Fastex, I'd be in heaven... I might have to check Target out for that one.

fasteddie

Enlightened
Used to have a small, samsung i500 that I could easily carry in my pocket. Switched to a larger, treo 700 recently. Couldnt get used to the belt clips or pouches so its back in my pocket. I do like the idea someone posted about inside the pocket but on a clip... knife style. I'll have to check into that.

drizzle

Enlightened
I got a very small flip phone and carried it in my pocket for a long time. It got to be just too many things in the pocket so now it's on the plastic clip that came with it on my belt, like the one BillCurnow linked too. That NiteIze set up, also that BillCurnow linked to, looks interesting. It would just about clean out one pocket. :)

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Clipped to my belt with a bunch of other gadgets. I am starting to look like batman. I had one moron think that my pouch on my belt with my blood testing meter was a gun. One more comment like that and I would have to use my anti-moron spray. It's next to the anti-shark spray. :grin2:

Screehopper

Enlightened
Nokia cell phone on a Nokia horizontal holster on the belt. I like the lower profile of the horizontal orientation instead of the vertical orientation.