How Do You Use Your Spark ST-5

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I own the Zebralight H502d but find it a bit too floody for use outdoors. Consequently, I am contemplating the purchase of a Spark ST-5, and am very curious as to how other CPF'rs utilize this headlamp:

Indoors? Outdoors? With the clear or frosted lens? With eneloop or 14500? Are you happy with the performance of this light? If not, which headlamp do you prefer over it? Etc.

Any comments in this regard would be most welcome.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ST5-190nw is my most used headlamp. I use it primarily for task work around the house or in the garage, but I've also used it for night hiking and been very happy with its performance. I prefer the frosted lens in it as well. For me, for those kinds of uses, it's better than a Zebra.

I also have a 502d and while I like it a lot, the very wide beam profile causes a lot of glare in my glasses. If I rotate it up so that's less of a problem, I blind everyone facing toward me. I'm using it more as a pocket light now, but also use it under the visor of my cycling helmet for an off-bike light, for which it works exceptionally well. The way I've got it mounted pushes it a good inch further forward off of my forehead, and that small position change, combined with the visor on my helmet, makes it a great light for that application.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I use mine with 14500's and the clear lens for hiking/outdoor mostly. You can remove the reflector and this gives you a nice even floody beam. Mine is the 190NW and I wear it with the button down, so I can depress is with my thumb(easier than index finger).

Thatspec

Enlightened
Can't remember the model # but its the single 18650 XML-T6 sort of T shaped. Kind of wish I'd gone for the floodier model without the protrusion/reflector. This does flop around a bit when you walk. The second dimmest setting is what I use mostly for working in the shop and at my desk (sometimes even cooking). It's a lot cheaper to direct light where you need it than to light up a whole room. It's always in my pack on the snowmobile and saved my butt once on a long hike out.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your responses to my query, Gents, especially your comments, B0wz3r. Your information allowed me to make a decision, and I ordered a 190NW ST5 from goingear this morning.

Thanks again for the help!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buckley, glad to be of help. Eventually, you should also get a Zebra so you can see how they compare; I find each to be good for a different set of needs. I use my Zebras most for outdoor activities, like hiking, camping, and biking, and my Sparks more for working around the house and specific task work. You'll get bitten by the bug once you get your Spark, and like the rest of use, before you know it you'll be sucked in! And, GG is a great place to buy from; their prices are a few $ more but their service is outstanding and if you have any issues at all, they'll take care of you no questions asked. I find that to be worth an extra $3 or $5 when I need it. :twothumbs

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to have mislead you, B0wz3r. I already own two Zebralights, the SC600 and the H502, and like them a great deal. However, as you note, the Spark is intended for a slightly different circumstance, i.e., working outside at night. While I find that the H502 is just about perfect for indoors (it doesn't seem to cause any glare off of my spectacles as yours does for you), it doesn't have quite enough throw for outside. I'm hoping the Spark will fill that gap.

Once again, thanks for your comments. They were very helpful, along with the beamshots you posted previously, in helping me make a decision.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
My Spark ST-5 arrived from GoingGear on Friday. Alas, it was DOA: Would not illuminate with any battery source, be it alkaline, 14500 or eneloop. It is now on its way back to GG for replacement. Sigh!

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Well that sucks Buckley! I have had my troubles with Spark lights too! It's kind of turning into a love/hate relationship. great lights when they work!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I would be very interested, ryguy24000, in hearing more about which model Sparks and the sorts of difficulties you have experienced.

Thanks in advance.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Well, for starters my first ST5 stopped working with 14500's. would only work with NiMh or alkaline. My new ST5 works great with 14500's, but sometimes I use a Duraloop as a back up and when I put the cell in initially the lamp won't ramp all the way to high. It will stop at Med. 2 and just flicker until I release the button. This does not happen all the time! As far as my SD52, it's just query. Sometimes I have to push the button 4 or 5 times to get the thing to come on. The thing works great on fresh batteries, but as soon as the battery is discharged the query behavior begins.

When these lights are on they are awesome. I think Spark should rethink their circuitry? Just frustrating when your at work and you go to turn your light on and It takes a few seconds to come on! I probably would not complain much about it, but I have about $160 invested on these lights

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks, ryguy24000! Hope springs internal, and I'm hopeful that my replacement ST5 will function normally. Either way, I'll report my experience in this thread.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for starters my first ST5 stopped working with 14500's. would only work with NiMh or alkaline. My new ST5 works great with 14500's, but sometimes I use a Duraloop as a back up and when I put the cell in initially the lamp won't ramp all the way to high. It will stop at Med. 2 and just flicker until I release the button. This does not happen all the time! As far as my SD52, it's just query. Sometimes I have to push the button 4 or 5 times to get the thing to come on. The thing works great on fresh batteries, but as soon as the battery is discharged the query behavior begins.

When these lights are on they are awesome. I think Spark should rethink their circuitry? Just frustrating when your at work and you go to turn your light on and It takes a few seconds to come on! I probably would not complain much about it, but I have about $160 invested on these lights

My ST5 is erratic with 14500 vs nimh or L91s. It always runs on nimhs and L91's, but doesn't always fire up with a 14500. It seems that if I give it a few minutes to depolarize (?) after taking a cell out, it works on 14500 just fine, but I haven't done any specific testing to be sure. I rarely use it on 14500 though, because I don't get nearly as much run time, and I rarely need the extra brightness it gives.

I haven't had any issues with the UI though... I occasionally forget and hold down the button a little too long when turning it on from off, and it does the weird momentary thing it has, or I click too quickly to go to max and it turns on and then off right away. (Too used to my Zebra's UI I guess...) But other than user error on my part, the UI has been fine for me so far.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Well, the replacement ST-5 is here, and works well with both eneloop and 14500 batteries. For my (outside) purposes, the beam with the clear lens is nearly ideal, albeit a bit on the warm side for my tastes. All in all, it will be a useful bit of kit. But, I must admit that I strongly prefer both the UI and headband on the Zebralights.

Once again, thanks to all of you who chimed in to help me make a decision on this light.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the replacement ST-5 is here, and works well with both eneloop and 14500 batteries. For my (outside) purposes, the beam with the clear lens is nearly ideal, albeit a bit on the warm side for my tastes. All in all, it will be a useful bit of kit. But, I must admit that I strongly prefer both the UI and headband on the Zebralights.

Once again, thanks to all of you who chimed in to help me make a decision on this light.

I prefer Zebra's UI as well, but in actuality, my ST5 is my most used headlamp. Mainly because the body shape makes it work better on a cap or under a hood, resulting in less umbrage of the beam because of the forward protruding emitter housing. I use it mostly around the house and in the garage, whereas I tend to use my Zebras more for outdoors things like biking, hiking, and camping, because of the moonlight mode.

Give the neutral/warm tint a chance... it'll grow on you, and eventually you might even come to prefer it. :D

larcal

Newly Enlightened

Hi Buckely,

Well it's been almost a year and wondering how much you have used your ST5 and whether it is still working fine.

Also, what is it about the ui of zebra that you prefer? I was thinking the ui on Spark was easier due to having a memory on main levels