How does mosfet linear regulator work

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW: I've never seen a schematic for a flashlight in my life :-(

I don't like to be a leech, but if anyone has handy links to any representative examples, I'd leech onto those real quick!

Thanx.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You must have been tuned to my frequency. You must be one of those danged old sparky guys.
BTW, I share your love of high catwalks in dark places :-(
I also still dig your thumbnail, so I hope you don't change it. It makes me smile.
Thank you aznsx. I'm not technically a "sparky" although I've seen lots of sparks over the years. I've also seen the magic smoke escape from components on several occasions.

My avatar - I love that little guy also. It came from this clip from a Japanese game show.

Anytime you're in my neck of the woods I can take you on a tour of several dark catwalks and other odd places. :)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you aznsx. I'm not technically a "sparky" although I've seen lots of sparks over the years. I've also seen the magic smoke escape from components on several occasions.

My avatar - I love that little guy also. It came from this clip from a Japanese game show.

Anytime you're in my neck of the woods I can take you on a tour of several dark catwalks and other odd places. :)
I should clarify, in my past, anyone in any type of electronics or electrical was tagged a 'sparky guy' by people in some sectors. I just got used to it, although making sparks is certainly not my objective. Just doing most any electronics in a factory often requires one to be good friends with 480 3-phase, and it can do the job. You qualify - sparks or no sparks. After all, how do you think 'old sparky guys' come to be that 'old'? By not making too many sparks.;-) Arc Flash is a terrifying thing. I've seen the videos. They were required watching one place I used to work.

I'll think I'll settle for a rain check on that tour. I've had enough of that in the big, old factory where I spent time recently. :)

I'd better stop, before I hit the felony threshold for thread tangents.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I should clarify, in my past, anyone in any type of electronics or electrical was tagged a 'sparky guy' by people in some sectors. I just got used to it, although making sparks is certainly not my objective. Just doing most any electronics in a factory often requires one to be good friends with 480 3-phase, and it can do the job. You qualify - sparks or no sparks. After all, how do you think 'old sparky guys' come to be that 'old'? By not making too many sparks.;-) Arc Flash is a terrifying thing. I've seen the videos. They were required watching one place I used to work.

I'll think I'll settle for a rain check on that tour. I've had enough of that in the big, old factory where I spent time recently. :)

I'd better stop, before I hit the felony threshold for thread tangents.
Lol, thanks aznsx. Yeah I stay a healthy distance from 480v and above. There's a main switchgear area in our basement at work that handles 11,000 volts. I can hear it humming when I walk by and it's a bit unnerving.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, thanks aznsx. Yeah I stay a healthy distance from 480v and above. There's a main switchgear area in our basement at work that handles 11,000 volts. I can hear it humming when I walk by and it's a bit unnerving.
It should be a bit unnerving. When I worked in the area of the aforementioned plant which contains the induction furnaces (which was not my usual area, but was required at times), they also were fed by 2-digit KV. I found it a bit unnerving too, and the special training / certification I had to complete just to walk in there was enlightening. I was in that area one night when some stuff went pretty sideways, and I will never forget it. There was a thing they called MAD (Minimum Approach Distance). Don't get any closer than you need to, and stay a little 'nervous' when you are near it. A little fear is healthy in those situation. Stay safe.