How does Nitecore EC1 compare to Fenix P1D?

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about getting an EC1 to replace my Fenix P1D premium Q5, mostly for the UI and locator LED. It looks like the EC1 is a bit brighter, but can anyone tell me how the EC1's beam compares to the P1D? I'm interested in seeing how the tint and throw/spill compare. I know the EC1 is throwier, but not sure how much so. Thanks in advance.

Dankung

Newly Enlightened
I hope this helps

Beam-Shot-Spill-Beam3-150x150.jpg

the original Review at

http://light-reviews.com/Flashlight-detail/nitecore-explorer-ec1-review/

Phil Ament

Enlightened
I would be very careful about purchasing a new Nitecore EC1 (or any other of their new models) if I was you. I have recently purchased two of them and they are both faulty and they will now need to be sent all the way back overseas. I am also having problems with Sysmax Industries (JETBeam/Nitecore) who initially posted and contacted me directly with offers to help, however after having already done exactly what they had asked of me they have now just ignored me and I have received no replies to any of my emails or my PM's. As you can read in the thread I am also not the only one to have to be returning faulty new Explorer series lights, and there are actually many more faulty lights on this thread then there are ones that actually work properly and don't need to be returned. If you like you can read all about it using the links below!

Link to my post about my 2 faulty new EC1's

Link to the start of the Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2) thread

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am thinking about getting an EC1 to replace my Fenix P1D premium Q5, mostly for the UI and locator LED. It looks like the EC1 is a bit brighter, but can anyone tell me how the EC1's beam compares to the P1D? I'm interested in seeing how the tint and throw/spill compare. I know the EC1 is throwier, but not sure how much so. Thanks in advance.
I don't have beam pics handy for the P1D (since it was a long time ago that I tested that light). But I have just held the EC1 up to the P2D-Q5 (which uses a similar head), and can make a few general observations.

First, overall output is more than doubled on the EC1, and the raw lux @1m looks to be roughly double (which means the EC1 would throw a given intensity beam ~40% further).

In terms of beam pattern, the EC1 has a much more tightly defined hotspot. The P2D has a broader hotspot, that slowly spreads out into a bright corona. The EC1 has a very even spill outside the hotspot, whereas the P2D a lot of beam rings (including a very dark ring right outside the corona). Overall spillbeam width is slightly wider on the P2D, but dimmer overall relative to the hotspot. The EC1 certainly has prettier beam, with a well defined hotspot.