How does the Pila GL4 compare to the SF M4?

triplem

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a Pila GL4 and would like some help re light output. The SF M4 is rated at 200 lumens (low output lamp) while the GL4 at 195 lumens. Although "lumen claims" by manufacturers are all over the board in terms of accuracy, I suspect Pila is probably in the ballpark since both lights run on 4x123.

Has anyone compared the light output of the GL4 against the M4? How does the throw & flood compare?

Does the GL4 put out an impressive amount rivaling the M4 or should I just keep saving my pennies and get the M4 (at 3x the cost)?

Thanks,

Neal

Topper

Flashaholic*
I think, M4 more throw GL4 more flood I have both I like both I wont go the normal "buy both" you figure it out as what you need if theres "a bump in the night" the GL4 busts a room bigtime all at once same for my yard. If there is "a bump in the night" across the street or down the road the M4 gets the nod. I do own both in fact I have 2 of each I like them both that much.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
What Topper said, Pila's rating of the GL4 is definitely okay. The beam is less focused than the M4's, but it still throws well thanks to the fact that it puts out lots of light. The wide beam really is misguiding in this regard. Hiking through a forest at night, the GL4 will be your light of choice. Other people point their flashlights at signs and interesting rocks, you ask "Why not illuminate everything?" and turn on the GL4. It's really an amazing light and the build quality is top notch. The only disadvantage in my opinion is that it's not waterproof with the LED tailcap. You can use the clickie tailcap, but then you will obviously lose the LED backup light.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! You both bring up good points re use. Gotta have the right light for the job. I can't envision long hikes carrying or many practical indoor uses of my soon to be made M*g85bp and M*g18bp. The GL4 looks like it fits the bill especially for hiking when factoring in size & weight.

A few more quick questions since you both own the light.

Does either the clickie or led tailcap have a lock out feature to prevent accidentally turning on the light (like surefire)?

Is the clickie fully encased such that the light can be stood-on-end candle mode?

How does the led tailcap work re turning on the main lamp & leds?

Thanks again,

Neal

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I third what everyone else said. The bezel on the GL4 is pretty heavy and I doubt you could ever get it to balance on it's tailcap. If somehow you get it standing on its tailcap I see no reason for it to NOT work fine. I'm not sure I follow your question about main light and LED but the main and LED will not shine simultaneously. I'm out of GL4's at the moment (I'll have more next week) but the GL2 and GL3 lockout. I think the GL4 locks out as well but I don't have one in stock to verify this.

Hope this helps.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
The Clickie has to be pushed in further into the tail cap than a flat surface can push in so I guess you could call that kind of a lock out feature for the clickie, as for the LED tail cap yep, you can unscrew it about 1.5 turns to two turns to lock it out.

As the clickie sticks out a bit you couldn't balance it on its end, why not balance it on the front bezel and use the LEDs in the tail cap as your candle mode instead of having a clickie? It'd be much more economical and still visible over long clear distances. (IMHO) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The LED tail cap basically works like this: full clockwise(C/W) is head lamp on continuously, about 1/4 turn C/C/W will turn off the main beam and simultaneously activate the tail cap LEDs. About 1/4 more turn C/C/W will turn everything off. I'd say now, 1 to 2 full turns of the tail cap C/C/W will lock it out. So lock out is roughly 1.5 to 2.5 full turns from on.

The lock out feature is pretty much the same for all the Pila GL2, GL3, GL3X & GL4 tail caps.

(Deep breath)!!!

Whew!

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
triplem said:

A few more quick questions since you both own the light.

Does either the clickie or led tailcap have a lock out feature to prevent accidentally turning on the light (like surefire)?

Is the clickie fully encased such that the light can be stood-on-end candle mode?

How does the led tailcap work re turning on the main lamp & leds?

Thanks again,

Neal

[/ QUOTE ]

you can lock out both the LED and the incan by turning the tailcap out like all the surefires. i dont have a clicky on mine but i think it wont be able to stand on the tailcap. with the LED tailcap it will be able to stand up. of course it'll fall over easier on the tailcap then on the bazel if you push it hard. the head is MUCH heavier and has a bigger diameter.
the functions of the light from lockout position. turn the tailcap once and when you press the switch only the LEDs will come on for as long as you hold the switch. turn again and when you press the switch the LED will turn on but when you press harder the LED will turn off then the incan will turn on for as long as you hold the switch. turn the tailcap again and the LED will be constant on. turn again and the LED will shut off and incan will be constant on. each turn is about half way or so. a link to a quick funtions guide. btw, mine is the wolf-eyes M90 but its the same as Pila. http://members.shaw.ca/iwonger/Wolf-Eyes%20Flashlight.MPG

and another note. if the incan is missing of broken the LED will not work. that i know cause i blew a lamp before. i'm pretty sure the incan will not work either if the LEDs are gone or breaks.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
darn it oddball you beat me posting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. i'll need to type faster next time~ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
If you want to stand it on end go for it; both of mine are doing that as I type one red led tail cap one green tail cap. The clikie tailcap will not nor the M4 if you do not wish the LED tail caps to light then turn the Batt's or cells whatever you call them around and they won't work main light good to go no tail cap light. Hope that helps
Topper

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Okay I get it now. Thanks for the great instructions re using the tailcaps.

Neal