How hard is it to update the VIP?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
How hard is it to put a new LED in the Mr. Bulk VIP light? I have done some soldering but I have never done a LED. Are the new LEDs very heat sensitive? For the VIP do you just unsolder the old Luxeon and solder in the new LED? Do I need to worry about Vf? Other things to worry about?

Just wondering if it is worth the effort. Right now it doesn't get any use as I use my L2D light for most tasks.

Thanks for the help.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert, but the Vf on LEDs in general has dropped (improved) since these were built and that should just mean better run time.

I haven't done one but a Seoul should work as these were driven at 750mA I believe (some boards were to 1000mA). However the focus might be off a bit. The new K2s might be a better fit, but at the drive levels of the VIP the Seoul would likely be brighter IMO. One of the main issues is the LED being centered.

You could go with a Cree (I guess) if you used one our TnC 27mm heads as these heads are interchangeable with the VIPs. They look pretty good on them as well.

I still like the VIPs for a number of reasons. For me the knurled bands are great for attachment with straps such as on a bike. Also changing levels on a bike with the side switch is better IMO than most other solutions for this.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just swap the luxeon with the seoul, vf is no problem because the VIP cannot used rcr-123, only cr-123.
Just add a shim under the seoul to make it higher to better focus.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you live in Socal, LED's aren't hard to solder especially if they are on stars, but if you want I can replace it for you if you supply the parts.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the VIP uses a star package. I thought the VIP could use a rechargeable 123, just not hot off the charger. So the Seoul should be a simple swap. How thick of a shim are we talking about? It would have to be metal for the haet sink, and would need heat sink compound. But total thickness would be what? .5 mm, 1mm, 2mm etc?

Focus would be important since I would love to see the VIP Big Bulk Head (BBH) on the new leds.

Thanks for the help. (PS - Where is the best pricing on a single Seoul, latest gen?)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the VIP uses a star package. I thought the VIP could use a rechargeable 123, just not hot off the charger. So the Seoul should be a simple swap. How thick of a shim are we talking about? It would have to be metal for the haet sink, and would need heat sink compound. But total thickness would be what? .5 mm, 1mm, 2mm etc?

Focus would be important since I would love to see the VIP Big Bulk Head (BBH) on the new leds.

Thanks for the help. (PS - Where is the best pricing on a single Seoul, latest gen?)

For proper focus, the Seoul emitter needs to be raised 0.030" to match the current die height of the Luxeon. The corresponding 0.030" needs to be removed from the back of the reflector, too. This can be done with a file, if you are careful.

You can make a copper shim from copper tubing, or buy them from the Sandwich Shoppe. I would recommend using Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive instead of thermal compound. If you don't have a caliper, an automotive feeler gauge will get you close. It shouldn't be too hard. So go for it, and have fun!

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there has been mixed results using the R123 with the VIPs. I know I burned one out and I think this was the cause.

The driver is a boost and not a buck driver. I think if you use the R123 you will be in DD and could fry your Seoul on high. I don't think the lower levels are even operable until the voltage drops on the R123.

I'd agree thermal epoxy is a must.

We use the BBH on our TnC SF-Series lights and it's an impressive head when using an LED driven hard. The X bins put out a tremendous beam in this head.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I had my VIP's modded to Seoul P4 by CM. One had been set previously to 1 amp to the led on high. The one amp VIP, using the BBH, puts out 42,000+ lux. I did lux at 6 meters and used inverse square law to get results for one meter. BBH has a 3" reflector.

Bill

Latest posts