How large a light do you EDC?

markr6

Flashaholic
I should also note that the TK75 makes a great EDC light. Practically disappears in your pocket! :twothumbs

cXaK4d9.jpg

A nice fat wallet will balance that out no problem!

costanza-wallet.jpg

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL you fellas with the humor. Stop making me enjoy this forum more than I should! I'm here for seeking purchasing advice only. I better get back to my section haha.
Nobody comes here for the humor as everybody comes here for money spending advice and both keep you coming back for more. :welcome:

What I carry varies by the daily need. It is usually something on the smaller side like a two cell SureFire or a Fenix PD35 UE. I have carried as large as a Notecore SRT-7 if need be. It is good to have that much flexibility at times....

Well, this is the EDC I use at weddings......and I'm partial to this light for that special dinner, oh, and when the in-laws come over, I love to bring this bad-boy out. This light works great for changing tires in the dark, but not so well during the day. I like to use this light when.........

A nice fat wallet will balance that out no problem!

costanza-wallet.jpg

Since coming here, not so much on the fat wallet. :D

Yes, flexibility, ya gotta love it.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
One of 3:

- Spark SG-5 (1xAA)

- EagleTac D25a Clicky (1xAA)

- Fenix PD25 (1xCR123)

Carry using a belt holster.

I also carry:
- Kershaw Cryo auto -assist open 2.9" blade (left pocket)
- Kershaw Ember auto -assist open 1.9" blade (right pocket)

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive EDCd my enormous turbo head ET MX25L2 before only to hear comments like "WTH is that". An amazing light to bad I almost never use it for anything other than night fishing

Darvis

Enlightened
Malkoff M61L in Moddoolar guise; TL50 tube, 3100 MAH 18650 with the zero res twisty that allows the longer battery in the shorter tube. Smoothie bezel. Rock solid, great balance of output and runtime. I carry it, and other items in my right front pocket.. contained inside a maxpedition micro pocket organizer.

To me, runtime is paramount... and I don't like modes or clickies, so the M61L was the ticket. I had carried the M61LLL 219 for a while, but it didn't quite have the reach I wanted. Also, this config allows for solid tail-standing which has become a "can't live without" for me. I should note that this is the XP-G2 version, so the tint is perfect! My first set of M61L's were greenish...

Anyway, E01 on the keychain as well.. :)

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Much like Darvis I really like the Moddoolar system by Oveready. Currently I have a TL35 tube with Zero Res Shorty and delrin shroud with clip. For the drop in I have a 5000K XML2 by Vihn54. That light is a very good size for me. The largest I carry is a 6P, anything larger cannot be carried comfortably in my opinion.

I also have a Veleno D2 around my neck as well.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive EDC's all around. It's enough to make a flashlight-curious guy jealous. ;)

No bragging points, just the basics: I have a Photon Freedom light on my car keychain (nice functions for its size and the battery lasts me at least a couple of years) and in my left pocket, I have a Fenix L0D (don't even see them for sale used anymore), a very useful AAA light that is more slender than a tube of Chapstick. I still find uses for the strobe from time to time. Other small form factors I'll carry on occasion: Olight S10, Olight S15, Zebralight SC52w, and occasionally a Jetbeam RRT-01.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like you said I think the biggest thing is that you have to define EDC. If you know it's going to be in your pocket ALL DAY I think you really think about it and something like an E01 or E05 is probably coming with. EDC means throw one in the car and might take out? Bring the TK11 or something. It's kind of like knives too: For people who carry pocket knives some will complain about a 2oz knife and others will carry a half pound beast clipped to their pants all day no problem.

EDC=Willingness*Intent² ...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what are you guys doing with your lights that require tail standing? I'm really curious!

Evenly illuminating a small to medium sized room with 15-20 lumens.

My living room requires under 50 to reach a comfortable level.

Lanterns suck in comparison.

When do I this? Power outages, for one.

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
Always a Surefire - always something with at least one S-F CR123 in it. Below is indicative of the range!

DSC_5056_zpsc2443bda.jpg

My 99% EDC is my well-worn early E1b 'Back Up' - with a filed even E2D LED Defender's tailcap so it will tailstand. The E2D was dropped when new, landing on a sidewalk on it's tailcap, botching it a bit - S-F sent me a replacement! Tailstanding is used in middle of the night head calls - after negotiating the minefield of our cats' toys (... and the occasional hairball!), I tailstand it on the lavatory.

Hey, I have walked at night with one of those big ones stuffed in my front pocket!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what are you guys doing with your lights that require tail standing? I'm really curious! In my entire life I think I've stood a flashlight on its tail once or twice. Nowadays I think I only have light that would tail stand.

At night, I put drops in my eyes and use the light so I don't blind myself with brighter ceiling or lamp light. Many times when I walk into the kitchen at night, I use the flashlight as a candle (placing the flashlight on the counter) vs the kitchen lights. When I go out on the front porch at night, I'll use the lowest setting bouncing off the porch ceiling (placing the flashlight on the railing) as opposed to turning the normal front porch light on. We can't remove the times it's been used as a trouble light with auto repair. When the power has gone out, having tail standing capability (placed around on tables) is a much appreciated benefit. Also, every night when I say good night to my wife, as an old couple, we say good night standing up with hugs and kisses, (no sex) and the light on low is much more romantic than a bright ceiling or standard lamp light.

The point, I regularly use the flashlight in it's standing position on a daily basis. For the reasons listed above, I couldn't imagine having a light that doesn't have tail standing capability.

Darvis

Enlightened
Just what are you guys doing with your lights that require tail standing?

Oh man! As Grizzman noted, any white ceiling turns a tail-standing light into a lamp, or...

Take an old baby bottle cap (shown with my EDC light):

9hjn06.jpg

And make it a camping lamp:

2ltka4o.jpg

Or, a nice hanging light:

2zyhbhw.jpg

And here's how I EDC it:

2h7km0m.jpg

Can't live without the feature!

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I love lights that tail stand. In the case of the Oveready shroud it also add the pocket clip. I used a tail standing light to light of rooms or areas while I look at other things or take notes without having to hold the light.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for tail standing, so many makers have proven that you can design the tail cap in such a way as to provide a flat surface for standing without compromising functionality. Some makers still make the shameful mistake of not thinking about it, where the button extends just 1~2mm beyond the metal of the cap ridges or ridge line, so it won't tail stand... and it would have been just a "touch" more metal in the design (or a slightly shorter switch) to achieve tail standing. Also, some create a unique design to the tail cap purely for aesthetic reasons that nullifies tail standing... and that's quite an annoyance (looks should NEVER compromise functionality).

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for tail standing, so many makers have proven that you can design the tail cap in such a way as to provide a flat surface for standing without compromising functionality. Some makers still make the shameful mistake of not thinking about it, where the button extends just 1~2mm beyond the metal of the cap ridges or ridge line, so it won't tail stand... and it would have been just a "touch" more metal in the design (or a slightly shorter switch) to achieve tail standing. Also, some create a unique design to the tail cap purely for aesthetic reasons that nullifies tail standing... and that's quite an annoyance (looks should NEVER compromise functionality).

Hey, we hack stuff here! Place the non-tailstand lights in a drinking glass. Problem solved. :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evenly illuminating a small to medium sized room with 15-20 lumens.

My living room requires under 50 to reach a comfortable level.

Lanterns suck in comparison.

When do I this? Power outages, for one.

Well often lanterns are for outside. I think an led flashlight can replace a lantern if the light has enough power, is capable of tailstanding (or you can find a way to support it upright), and you have a good big diffuser for it. You're right though. Indoors high power ceiling bouncing is awesome and totally can replace a lantern these days for power outages in that type of scenario.