How long is it taking you guys to charge AW 18350 cells?

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
the final thread to it all is how much have you got to spend... from there on in it dictates what you'll buy and use.

on the 'cheap n cheerful' route though.......stuff cheap batteries, they cost three times more for a single desent cell. (that or get laptop replacement packs..)

if you find a good cheepy its often best to buy another before theyre put out of biznes, it seems the main aim of biznes is to remove the apoinents above quolity of goods.

HKJ

Flashaholic
If you have a hobby charger with the appropriate flexibility in charging settings, you can shorten the Li-ion charge time by not charging the cell to 100%. Simple ways to do that include 1) use 4.10V as the float voltage instead of 4.20V, or 2) use something like C/5 as the terminating charge current instead of the more typical C/10 or C/20. Charge time from near empty to termination will probably be around 1-1.5 hrs and you'll get around 80%-90% capacity.

C/5 is, by far, the best option to fast charge a LiIon, using 4.10 is not really a fast charge.

HKJ

Flashaholic
However, I have a disagreement with your terminology. C/5 is not a fast charge, which suggests a charge method that gets you to some capacity quicker than the standard CC/CV approach. That is not the case. Using C/5 and 4.20V float for termination simply gives you a shorter duration charge vs C/10 or C/20 and 4.20V float. It's shorter duration because you are charging up the cell only to 80%-90%.

In the manual to my hobby charger it is called a fast charge, but you are correct, it only cuts the charge short.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
The most important reason to not charge at high rate is the risk of :poof:.
Many battery datasheets do list a standard/recommended charge rate and a fast charge rate, the short form Panasonic data sheets does only list one charge rate and calls it maximum. This might be correct or not. My guess is not, but I will not recommend using much higher charge rate without a datasheet saying it is allowed.

I agree that excessively high charge rates may cause catastrophic failure in batteries. But most people would not consider 1C a high rate for lithium's. I know you had run-ins with the RC crowd before. :) But it is not uncommon for them to charge at 5C and above. The RC crowd is light years (pun intended) ahead of the flashlight crowd when it comes to batteries. Just a lot more user data to go off of, as well as a larger community pool for data.

I do like hobby chargers and often use them, but for daily use a fixed rate cradle charge is much easier.
I agree with this statement but this has nothing to do with what I said. :) Not to mention that when you have your routine all set up and worked out it is not that much more difficult to utilize a hobby charger.

I also think that fixed rate cradle chargers have their place. I was actually going to PM for a recommendation. :)

I had a cheap hobby charger at it lasted a long time, but then the background light for the LCD quit.
My general opinion is that a $30 hobby charger is better than no hobby charger, it might not be precise, but you can still get a good estimate of battery capacity.

It's a $30 hobby charger for YOU. Remember you have a ton of gear. Others will need to get a power supply, leads, magnets (by the way those that do not know how to solder they are already selling charge leads with magnets attached to them), as well as pigtails for balancing. Right there you have 50+ dollars.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
If you have a hobby charger with the appropriate flexibility in charging settings, you can shorten the Li-ion charge time by not charging the cell to 100%. Simple ways to do that include 1) use 4.10V as the float voltage instead of 4.20V, or 2) use something like C/5 as the terminating charge current instead of the more typical C/10 or C/20. Charge time from near empty to termination will probably be around 1-1.5 hrs and you'll get around 80%-90% capacity.

Not only that but some of the more expensive chargers will allow you to charge as quickly as possible to a predetermined capacity that the user chooses. So if you want to charge to say 60% it will do it without having to configure in depth settings.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
i have another question, i see C/5 used as reference, is that 1/5 of C? i thought C5 was 5 times C...or 5C was was 5 times the capacity.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I agree that excessively high charge rates may cause catastrophic failure in batteries. But most people would not consider 1C a high rate for lithium's. I know you had run-ins with the RC crowd before. :) But it is not uncommon for them to charge at 5C and above. The RC crowd is light years (pun intended) ahead of the flashlight crowd when it comes to batteries. Just a lot more user data to go off of, as well as a larger community pool for data.

The RC often uses Lithium polymer batteries that are rated for many C discharge (Like 40C, check Hobby King) and also for fast charge.
When really doing fast charge they usual work outdoor or with a LiPol sack to protect against explosion, but it happens that a house burns down.

I prefer to keep charging and discharging safe.

i have another question, i see C/5 used as reference, is that 1/5 of C? i thought C5 was 5 times C...or 5C was was 5 times the capacity.

C/5 refers to the termination current and is 1/5 of C in the above case, the usual termination current is 1/10 C for a hobby charger.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
The RC often uses Lithium polymer batteries that are rated for many C discharge (Like 40C, check Hobby King) and also for fast charge.
When really doing fast charge they usual work outdoor or with a LiPol sack to protect against explosion, but it happens that a house burns down.

I prefer to keep charging and discharging safe.

C/5 refers to the termination current and is 1/5 of C in the above case, the usual termination current is 1/10 C for a hobby charger.

ah-haa thank you.