• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How many drops have your McGizmo lights sustained?

Roccomo

Enlightened
I have dropped my LS 20 several times with no damage to the function of the light or to the Ti itself. Once, not sure how, I slammed it into my bathroom floor hard enough to take a chunk from a tile. All that resulted was very minor Ti abrasion which was easy to fix. No damage to the function of the light. Tile still messed up though.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dropped my LS 20 several times with no damage to the function of the light or to the Ti itself. Once, not sure how, I slammed it into my bathroom floor hard enough to take a chunk from a tile. All that resulted was very minor Ti abrasion which was easy to fix. No damage to the function of the light. Tile still messed up though.
Wow! Titanium is that tough! Chipped a piece of your tile and nothing much has happened except a minor abrasion?

You know, after reading all these stories I was very much tempted to slam my Haiku and see how well it holds up. If only it doesn't cost me $450 for one...

nbp

Flashaholic
You know, after reading all these stories I was very much tempted to slam my Haiku and see how well it holds up. If only it doesn't cost me $450 for one...

I thought the exact same thing Andy! :laughing: I didn't have the nuts to do it, but I wanted to! I suppose with EDCing my Haiku and Mule, one of these days one will suffer a good crash inadvertently anyways. :shrug:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the exact same thing Andy! :laughing: I didn't have the nuts to do it, but I wanted to! I suppose with EDCing my Haiku and Mule, one of these days one will suffer a good crash inadvertently anyways. :shrug:
You never know what is going to happen next. If and when I decided to get another BB Haiku, and my current one had some nicks on it, I just might do a video of a few slam, throw and drop test and post it here. I must say that I am tempted to.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine have been banged into granite and tossed onto ice. I have been EDCing my McGizmos for 4 years now.... I typically rotate one of 3 PDs and I always have my Sapphire on my keys. Since my keys are usually clipped to a belt loop, that Sapphire is CONSTANTLY banging into things.

I saw PK toss one of the first production Beasts about 10 feet in the air to land on concrete at one of the SoCal CPF get-togethers. Definitely impressive, but to be fair, it does have those big rubber bumpers on it..... :nana:

One interesting search subject for newbies interested in this subject is the HDS light known as "Pummeled". :devil:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I would chuck my McGizmo lights onto concrete floors etc, but I can assure you that they are very resilient even the aluminium ones ie PD-s which I acquired 2nd hand from someone here in CPF some years back. It has its battle scars and since edc'ng that PD-s, I managed to put my own signatures on it with no ill effect. I did remember once it fell from my pocket onto hard tile and it stopped working. Very sad feeling indeed. In the end it was just the rechargeable battery which had somehow damaged due to the impact. Replaced it and it runs normally albeit some scuffing here and there.

Over time, the other two lights which are titanium will have their fair share of scuffs but its merely the anodized titanium layer that is scratched. A bit of spit and shine, it will take away the anodized layer and all is good. In a nutshell, these lights are very durable and For several years now, I have really enjoyed using them and hopefully I can still enjoy using them for many many more years to come.

purelite

Enlightened
Pjandyho, I like your question about warranty!!!! Very Funny.

So, do you warranty your lights until your life is over ? Just 1 year Or will the warranty extend beyond into your afterlife?

basically, so if you die I am S%$# out of luck?

I have never seen a question like that before but I cant pass on busting on Pjandyho!!! :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pjandyho, I like your question about warranty!!!! Very Funny.

So, do you warranty your lights until your life is over ? Just 1 year Or will the warranty extend beyond into your afterlife?

basically, so if you die I am S%$# out of luck?

I have never seen a question like that before but I cant pass on busting on Pjandyho!!! :)
I don't think that is the exact meaning I have when I asked that question. I just want to know if my lights are covered for a year or for life. As pointed out, Don does not officially provide a warranty, but would be willing to help rectify any issues that may arise, and at his own discretion.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The beauty of the McG system is that even if Don is unable or unwilling to fix your light, someone else will be able to step up to the challenge. They are designed to be easy to repair or upgrade! I hope to carry a McGizmo light for the rest of my life!

nbp

Flashaholic
My dog and I were playing a game where I put my Mule on her head and tried to get her to sit still and balance it there. She didn't play very well. :shakehead
Thus my Mule sustained several 2.5 ft drops to our wood floor until I got bored and just pet her instead. Mule works fine, dog is broken apparently.

carrot said:
I hope to carry a McGizmo light for the rest of my life!

Brother Carrot, we miss you. :candle:

Ever since you lost that PD-S, we barely see you. Come back, I miss your interesting posts. :sigh:

nbp

Flashaholic
Finally dropped my Haiku for real after 18 months of carry! It slipped from my hand and kinda launched itself into the asphalt driveway tonight from belly height. Oops. Figured it'd be all dinged up, and was scared the lens might have cracked. Nope! Couple extra scuffs on the side of the head, but no actual dings or dents, works just like the day it showed up from Maui. :)

It's beginning to develop quite a nice patina after all its use and abuse. :rock:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Nick and Ben, I have dropped mine a few times, both high CRI and XM-L Haiku, and all they get are one or two very very minor ding on the edge of the tail or head. The XM-L Haiku fell from the top of my refrigerator since I left it there to tail stand. Awesome titanium material I would say.

Latest posts