• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How many drops have your McGizmo lights sustained?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been my experience that the merits of dis-assembly outweigh those of potting at least in the designs I am presently working with. Converters can and do fail on occasion and if they do, it's nice to limit replacement to just the converter. :shrug:
Beautifully put, my thought exactly

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured it'd be all dinged up, and was scared the lens might have cracked. Nope!
On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, I figure it would take some pretty extreme shock to crack it without direct contact.

DTF

Enlightened
On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, ..

the lens supported by o-rings is a standard feature for all of Don's current designs, not just the Haiku.

It would be interesting to do some shock testing on a McGizmo flashlight. What would be the first thing to fail? What is the weakest link in the design?

nbp

Flashaholic
On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, I figure it would take some pretty extreme shock to crack it without direct contact.

Probably so, but when you hear it whack on the asphalt, it sure sounds like something should be broken!

djdawg

Enlightened
How Tuff is the Sapphire Lens ??
Why does Don choose Sapphire ??
Does anybody here no anything about the Lenses ??
Thanks for any help.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well before CPF came to be, I was messing with titanium and had gotten into making some etched and anodized earrings of all things and came to be a customer at Frei Borell for jewelry tools. They sell watch replacement parts and tools as well and I purchased a sapphire watch crystal from them. It was my intent to someday make a titanium light using this crystal as a window for it. I had a notion of the ultimate flashlight and it would include the ultimate window material which I considered sapphire crystal to be. CPF came along as did high power LED's. Initially though, the LED's were so inefficient that they generated a lot of heat and titanium was hardly the material of choice for a flashlight body because of this. But at some point I realized it was time to make a titanium light with a sapphire window and I did. I don't know of any quality watch and especially a dive watch that doesn't sport a sapphire crystal and this is a component that is more exposed to knocks and abuse than the window of a flashlight. I wore a old Rolex all through highschool, college and on into my adult life and I never took it off and it got a lot of abuse. The crystal held up amazingly well. What beter choice for a durable window of a flashlight is there? Sapphire is not as efficient at light transmission as some of the glass that can be used for windows but I am willing to sacrifice some light for a window that won't break or scratch like the glass will.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Don,

I am not the expert here, but I have heard from some that sapphire may be pretty scratch resistant but is more prone to cracking since it is more brittle than glass. Not sure how true that can be. This topic about sapphire vs glass has been an ongoing subject of controversy and arguments.

DTF

Enlightened
Hi Don,

I am not the expert here, but I have heard from some that sapphire may be pretty scratch resistant but is more prone to cracking since it is more brittle than glass. Not sure how true that can be. This topic about sapphire vs glass has been an ongoing subject of controversy and arguments.

The suggestion that sapphire being too brittle seems to come from the emerging use of sapphire screens for smartphones. The maker of the glass version did some testing and found that their glass screens did better in tumbling tests than the sapphire screens.. There's a big difference in form factor when using sapphire for a flashlight lens. See: http://pocketnow.com/2013/05/07/sapphire-smartphone-screens

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I can't recall a single request for a replacement sapphire window due to scratches or breakage. It's not indestructible but I think as close to as you can realistically get. I personally have broken glass and plastic windows and certainly scratched them.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to remember you telling me you threw a certain Ti light up the road to demonstrate it's hardiness.

I subsequently bought that light from you!!

djdawg

Enlightened
I dropped one the other day on concrete ............ I about crapped .....LOL
But , no damage.......... it still functioned properly.
It only fell about 4 feet , but clunked when it hit.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I seem to remember you telling me you threw a certain Ti light up the road to demonstrate it's hardiness.

I subsequently bought that light from you!!

Yeah, I remember that light and giving it a good hurl. PK impressed me with his bag of cool prototype lights that banged around together and his virtual disregard for coddling any of them. My thinking is that a flashlight should be up to some contact with other tools and bumps and drops in the real world and not have to be pampered like a pair of binocs or a camera.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dropped mine a few times and it hardly shows. My XM-L Haiku is now my favorite light.