How many levels of light do you actually use?

Poor idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• more than 5

• Total voters

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one multi-level light, a nFlex WX1S Luxeon V Mag. Since it puts out around 170 lumens on high, I start off at the lowest setting work my way up from there. Walking around the house at night is the lowest level, night walks with street lights is level 3 or 4 and max blast to look at things. If I use it for longer periods and need a ton of light, it is the second from the highest for longer runtime and less heat. I guess you can say 5 out of 8 settings.
For high output larger lights, having at least 5 settings is a must. An EDC small light (single AA/AAA or 123) give me 4 settings: 1 lumen "low-low" for using in absolute darkness. 4 lumen low for night time in the house, 15 lumen medium for general use and 60 lumen high for throw.
The 1--4--15--60 lumen settings will look correct to the eye and fit my needs. Now for LRI to get the AA Proton out with the 60 lumen Nichia...

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use at least 2 (low and high), but sometimes a 3rd comes in handy (such as a middle brightness level for when high is too much or I want to conserve power). 6 is nice, but not something I have to have... and I view unlimited levels (set your own each time) as more of a pain personally.

-Mike

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use all 4 of my HDS basic 60. lowest the least but pretty often. Once a day at least. other's all pretty equally. VDG

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
A low/high would work for me. A low/med/high would be nicer, but not something I would need, something I want maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

StanTeate

Enlightened
Just wondering if you could put up a graphic with percentages of the amount of time spent at each level. An additional level may not be used very much but when it is used, its importance may be significant.
My 2 cents.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 lights that are multi-level lights.

I mainly use high beam.

I have a Streamlight TL-2L that cycles from high then to low. I like lights that cycle from low to high. I have already left on the light 2 times because after I'm on high, I forget to go to low, then to off. I have burned through 4 sets of batteries because of this.

These are my multi-level lights

dsc008306cv.jpg

NetMage

Enlightened
I switch my LionCub between UI1 and UI2 (0 and 1?) for day and night use. In the day I use UI2 and set brightness to Level 2.

At the night I use UI1 and set brightness to lowest. I adjust it up in use to the level that feels comfortable, which depends on ambient lighting.

I wish the Force Level was remembered for each UI separately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For my EDC, I use all the levels as well...

cy

Flashaholic
three when I have the choice. but all you really need is two levels.

seems like not too long ago we only had one level. so when two levels came along it changed everything

paulr

Flashaholic
For ultra low levels (movie theaters) I prefer a red led. A very dim white led doesn't really substitute. I was really looking forward to the LRI Proton for its red/white combo.

So it's a little more complicated than just "levels". Also, as McGizmo says, there's also the beam pattern.

In a 100 lumen light I'd like three "levels" that are more than just levels:

a) 1 lumen, RED LED, medium beam

b) 10 lumens, smooth flood beam (McFlood etc.)

c) 100 lumens, narrow beam

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have a two level light. Flood and spot. You guys can keep all the other in-be-tween levels!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Luxman

Enlightened
I use all 4 levels in my HDS Ultimate 60.

1 - Minimum, reading, some walking, preserve night vision
2 - Low, mostly walking, close investigation
3 - High, to investigate and avoid using max when not necessary (conserve battery power)
4 - Max, for throw or further investigation

wquiles

Flashaholic
The oposite angle would be a good question to ask: who thinks that a single level light is usefull? I certainly don't. I feel that a really usefull, practical light MUST have two levels (high and low). This is where the McGizmo switch rules as you can fine-tune "low" to be whatever is most practical. The PD is simply the next generation of the same concept/idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Answering the question, two levels most of the time is all I use - these being lights with the McGizmo switch. Even 3W LED's, like some of the "U" bins I got from the group buys can be too bright for close work when driven at 900-1000mA, specially when the eyes are adjusted to nigh vision.

I love the flexibility of the U2. Like Don said above, the reflector being a very important part of the equation, since to me the U2 is a good compromise between flood and trow, and since having a 5W gives you tons of lumens out the front where you need them. The extra levels on the U2 are just gravy, and yes, I wish low where even lower.

Will

LowWorm

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
I use all 4 levels in my HDS Ultimate 60.

1 - Minimum, reading, some walking, preserve night vision
2 - Low, mostly walking, close investigation
3 - High, to investigate and avoid using max when not necessary (conserve battery power)
4 - Max, for throw or further investigation

[/ QUOTE ]

What Luxman said, except it's High I turn to most for walking.

Lexus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:

In a 100 lumen light I'd like three "levels" that are more than just levels:

a) 1 lumen, RED LED, medium beam

b) 10 lumens, smooth flood beam (McFlood etc.)

c) 100 lumens, narrow beam

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a very sweet light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find I hardly ever use HIGH on my HDS or LC. Medium Settings cover 99%. I got bigger lights for maxium output.