How many of you are car enthusiasts?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Galant VR-4 is so great. I wanted one when they came out but I was stuck in engineering school (the first time) making no money. 4 doors and lots of vroom!

I'm a wannabe car enthusiast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

My family ride as of, um, tomorrow, to replace my used-to-be-reliable '95 Honda wagon will be a...

Volvo V70 R (stick shift of course -- vroom)

(I really wanted an Audi RS6, but man that's to much for me and they didn't import the wagon so no place for the mountain bike!)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Go binky! I love Swedish cars. I guess mechanics hate them (Saabs) but I think they're great.

PS--I love electrics too but since they're grossly under-produced (Wait, right now there are none in production) I've never had the chance to ride in or drive one. I think that 10 minutes behind the wheel of one would sell me forever.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
I think that 10 minutes behind the wheel of one would sell me forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually only takes about 12 seconds. The first six to make your butt pucker, and the second six to beg to do it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

symes

Enlightened
Mmmmm....

A few automobilian thoughts...

1) had the pleasure of riding in a friends Merc SL55 AMG the other day (0-100 in about one stool passing's time) - I finally experienced what fast really means, and that is after having driven a few reasonable jags and mustang V8s and a 96 Corvette

2) Question: what is it about VR-4 and NSX drivers that makes them have to burn up everything on the road and weave in and out of traffic like they're in a movie...forgive me chaps you may be the exception, but it's almost like if they aren't accelerating hard that they aren't proving something - always seems a little sad...

3) Oh and can't resist this...

"where there's smoke, there's a Saab"...Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers...Car Talk (NPR).

kind regards,

Simon

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a car guy. More specifically, an Oldsmobile fan. My daily driver is a 1993 Olds Achieva SCX W41, and in the summer I pull out the 1956 Olds 88. I just love classic American iron. I would never buy a foreign car. I've also had a 1970 Olds Cutlass conv't with a 455 V-8, but I sold it to get the '56. I kinda regret getting rid of that one. That was one FAST car.

Zman

Enlightened
Car enthusiast here as well. Oldsmobile is my first love...have owned a 76 Cutlass, an 83 with T-tops, and a 65 442. Currently own a 69 Cutlass convertible and a 96 Chevy Impala SS. Have one sensible car...90 Acura Integra. I used to think how expensive a hobby automobiles could be...then I found this site!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
symes said:
Mmmmm....

A few automobilian thoughts...

1) had the pleasure of riding in a friends Merc SL55 AMG the other day (0-100 in about one stool passing's time) - I finally experienced what fast really means, and that is after having driven a few reasonable jags and mustang V8s and a 96 Corvette

2) Question: what is it about VR-4 and NSX drivers that makes them have to burn up everything on the road and weave in and out of traffic like they're in a movie...forgive me chaps you may be the exception, but it's almost like if they aren't accelerating hard that they aren't proving something - always seems a little sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

In one breath you talk about going 0-100 in a car, and in the next you berate other people for driving fast... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

And just how many NSX's and VR4s have you seen? There are many more NSX's on the road than VR4s (only 3000 VR4s were ever sold here) and neither is exactly common. But of course, I'm sure the owners of four door luxury sedans are much more aggressive on the roads than sporty cars like Mustangs and Camaros... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Thanks for making us owners of a cherished limited production automobile your road going scapegoats. I appreciate it.

Mark

symes

Enlightened
Mark,

I don't mean to make you and your co-VR4-drivers scapegoats, I am just relating what I see.

The 0-100 comment related to a piece of open straight road where the owner was "demonstrating" his new acquisition. I wouldn't dream of driving at those speeds over here otherwise. What I am complaining about is not sheer speed but the weaving in and out of lanes "just because I can", coming up on the inside and suddenly pulling out across you 6" from your fender then back in again then out again.

Actually, I see a lot of NSXs down here and quite a few VR4s. And, to be fair my comments related about 70/30 NSX/VR4.

I have to disagree with you on the most aggressive drivers though, down here it is the Neons and Integras with blacked out windows and no suspension clearance with 6" diameter exhausts and the "deafy" stereos.

Curiously, I have rarely seen an aggressive Mustang driver, but the good old redneck muscle cars, Camaros and Firebirds are of course a pure delight to have on our roads here in NC.

None of course is as un-safe as the mother of two in her mini-van, cellphone in one hand and lipstick in the other, rear view mirror set to "make-up mode" who corrects her steering every time she takes a glance at the road and realises how far she veered off.

Apologies for making you feel scapegoated, actually I can remember rather liking the 3000 GT VR4.

Simon

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
Minjin and I own Mitsubishi GALANT VR-4s not the much more common 3000 GT VR-4. I guess you didn't read the whole thread symes. Take a look at the links that were posted if you want to see a picture of a Galant VR-4. I think stereotyping drivers of a certain type of car is ignorant. I for one would never race where I would endanger anyone, nor would I risk wrecking my car "weaving" in and out of traffic.

Skyline

Enlightened
Like a few others here, I too drive a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. I simply love the car, and there's nothing sweeter than the sound of the turbo spooling up as the revs climb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well except maybe the roar of an F1 V10 at 19000 rpm, but I don't have one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
I am waiting for the twin-turbo Legacy. A four door family car with straightforward 400HP potential is quite an attractive concept. Presently, I'm miffed that the Turbo Forester XT can go 0-60 faster than my WRX, stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subaru has moved away from the twin-turbo layout back to single turbos for the Legacy. I'd love to see a twin-scroll turbo in there.

As I'm sure you're aware, they've announced the 2005 Legacy GT with a turbo charged 2.5L flat four putting out 250 hp and 250 ft-lbs torque.

http://www.need-desire.com/

I'm also waiting for them to install a turbo flat six in the Legacy. 350 hp seems quite realistic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

symes

Enlightened
OOPS....

Duly corrected...picked the thread up part way through and totally missed that it was Galants that you were talking about...

Curiously, when I first came to the states I rode in a Galant up in Chicago which the owner said had the GT VR4 engine in it and to this day I thought he was just making it up.

Je me coucherai moins bete ce soir....

Never seen another one so can't comment, but do take back all I said in reference to your vehicles in this post...I can see why you would like such a car. Pictures look pretty and probably a whole lot cheaper than an M5 or equivalent!

What I feel about NSXs and GT VR4s still stands though, just purely by routine observation...not by a desire to stereotype...

Have fun,

Simon