How to mark batteries

irlmarko

Newly Enlightened
I use a Brady labeler (essentially the same as a PTouch). The batteries are a snnuugggg fit now in my camera at least.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my primary CR123 cells get used in pairs, and I like to keep pairs together so that I have sets that are at the exact same level of charge. So, for these cells my marking system is 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B.... so that I can just use the A and B of each number together.

For rechargeable cells I simply number each (i.e. 1, 2, 3...).
I use a slightly different system, since some of my NiMH cells are used in groups of 2, some 3, and some 4. I put 2A on both cells in a group of 2, 2B on another group of 2, etc. -- groups of 3 are labeled 3A, 3B etc., so I can tell how many are in the group. I usually use this only to keep groups together, but on those occasions where I need to distinguish the individual cells in a group, they get an additional number, for example 3B-1, 3B-2, 3B-3 for the cells in the 3 cell group 3B.

A Sharpie has worked fine for me, although it does need sprucing up after some time if the cell gets a lot of handling. Markings from the "fine point" (actually the coarsest readily available tip) markers is more durable than from the finer ones. Alcohol removes the markings if needed.

c_c

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I found this thread and thought I'd add my tip also.

I was having the same problem with the label rubbing off. Tried different markers with no luck, and then tried scotch tape but it eventually would come off or make everything sticky.

Well I've found a great solution, for me anyway..

www.dealextreme.com, SKU 5101. It's a high temp, transparent tape and it sticks fantastic, is ultra thin and mine hasn't come off yet. Just label the battery, stick a piece around the battery and you're in business.

Works a treat!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is more of a tip on where I like to mark my batteries, not what information to put on them.

I have a truckload of Eneloop and Duraloop AA batteries. To keep them from getting all mixed up, I mark mine with different colored Sanford Sharpie pens on the white top of each cell next to the positive terminal. The colored permanent ink shows up well on the white tops and the positive terminal helps prevent the ink from being touched often and thus rubbed off.

I've been using the same marking system for about three months so far and the colored marks are just as bright as the day I put them there.