• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How To: McClicky Switch disassembly

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the McClicky Switch need running in? I've put a brand new assembly into my Haiku, and it still occasionally sticks as shown in my video? I've even managed to get it to stick with no boot in place to eliminate that as the cause.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Does the McClicky Switch need running in? I've put a brand new assembly into my Haiku, and it still occasionally sticks as shown in my video? I've even managed to get it to stick with no boot in place to eliminate that as the cause.

Hi Mike, I do believe the switches operate better after a break in but it should not be necessary. There is some grease used in these and I believe at times perhaps more grease than necessary and I would also guess that temperature can effect the performance with perhaps cold weather causing the grease to be thicker and perhaps sticky?

Last edited:

MaynardJamesKeenan

Newly Enlightened

Curious if you got this working properly?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious if you got this working properly?

I've put a third switch in, and that seems to be behaving itself so far. Interesting point about the grease Don, it is rather cold here in the UK at the moment. I may take apart one of my switches as per this guide, clean thoroughly and grease very lightly, possibly with a lighter grease more suited to our climate. Would StClaire Nano-Oil be a better candidate for lubrication here in the UK?

Last edited:

Dem0nDayz

Newly Enlightened
Any chance we can get the picture album uploaded onto imgur? Would like to disassemble a mcclicky switch but not sure how to go about doing it.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Ditto that..
I'm not sure the owner of the art can even get access to his files without paying.
Thanks
X_Marine/BillyD..

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Dead thread revival...

I'm looking to modify a McClicky to momentary-only operation. I haven't disassembled one yet but looking at these photos it seems pretty straight-forward. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this? Yes, I want to eliminate the click of a McClicky...any thoughts?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one that doesn't lock on. It's still clicks, just doesn't stay on.
Would that help, or are you looking for silence?
Probably stating the bl**din' obvious, but could you not replace the switch with a momentary, like a Surefire?

P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
A twisty SF momentary switch would also increase reliability, although I have the feeling that NH Lumens intends to modify a Malkoff MDC body. Again, stating the obvious, but no tail cap to swap out.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm looking to modify a McClicky to momentary-only operation. I haven't disassembled one yet but looking at these photos it seems pretty straight-forward. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this? Yes, I want to eliminate the click of a McClicky...any thoughts?

I should clarify that I may have initially misunderstood your request ....

I first thought you were asking how to convert a McTC (or equivalent) from clicky to momentary.

Now I realize that you may be asking how to modify the McClicky mechanism itself to function differently. If that is the case, others here may have ideas on how to accomplish that.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
A twisty SF momentary switch would also increase reliability, although I have the feeling that NH Lumens intends to modify a Malkoff MDC body. Again, stating the obvious, but no tail cap to swap out.

Yes, this - for a Malkoff Bodyguard.

I'm wondering if there is a way to limit plunger travel so it cannot be depressed far enough to click. Or, modify the ratchet to eliminate the click. The switches are cheap enough to replace but looking for ideas before I try modding it.

Latest posts