how tough is a Luminox?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if one would be tough enough for bicycling. (LOTS of vibration transferred through the handlebars.) Currently I use an old Casio digital G-shock. I'm contemplating buying a new digital G-shock but I see that they sell analog G-shocks now so I'm wondering if an analog watch is an option and if so, which ones might be durable enough.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Rolex Explorer/Submariner or an Omega Speedmaster/Seamaster? I always thought the mechanical parts would suffer with the vibration and the metal bracelets would be subject to wear and breakage. Not that I would wear an expensive watch for this use but I'm wondering how one would stand up if I had to. I would however perhaps wear an analog Casio or Luminox for biking.

Skyline

Enlightened
I'd stick with G-Shocks for biking if I were you. You can get one of the stainless steel or titanium ones if you prefer.

Some say that Luminox are durable, but I've also seen reports of them breaking. They simply are not designed to take shock, vibration, and temperature extremes like a G-Shock does.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
How about a Rolex Explorer/Submariner or an Omega Speedmaster/Seamaster? I always thought the mechanical parts would suffer with the vibration and the metal bracelets would be subject to wear and breakage. Not that I would wear an expensive watch for this use but I'm wondering how one would stand up if I had to. I would however perhaps wear an analog Casio or Luminox for biking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they would handle it just fine. Unless you're doing 30 mile laps on cobblestone roads, I don't see where you think bicycling is hard on watches. Its really not that big of a deal. Plenty of Rolex users shoot guns with them on and I would say that is far more abusive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

As for Luminox's breaking, all thats happening is the mineral crystal is cracking. Don't go swinging your arms around and banging them directly into sharp corners and you'll be fine.

Mark

guncollector

Enlightened
I would not subject any quartz or mechanical movement to repeated strong vibrations as you will experience mountain-biking, road-biking, or even tennis...yes, tennis.

Years ago, the constant shock and vibration of playing a lot of tennis with a TAG Heuer on caused it to fail. Per my watchmaker, it resulted in minute particles (no, I don't know what particles, or where they came from) inside the casing to come loose and clogged up the mechanism.

If you're made of money, and don't mind the inevitable trip to the watchmaker, go ahead and use your mech/auto/quartz watch for this vibration-intensive activity. Me, I'd stick with a bombproof G-Shock.

Deanster

Enlightened
Luminox is good, and seems to take vibration (all kinds, from shooting to powerboating, to go-karts) quite well, but any analog watch will eventually have troubles under excessive vibration - automatics will have the worst time, as the internal works are both complex and somewhat delicate, quartz analogs (like luminox) will be next best, and digital quartz, followed by ruggedized digital quartz, will be the best.

In short - I don't worry about my Luminox much, and it's been rock-solid for six years, but if I know I'm going to be really pounding on things, the G-shock goes on. Haven't yet tried the analog G-shocks.

Jeritall

Enlightened
Reality check time! If you are going biking, scrambling, boarding, skiing, climbing, gliding, bouldering, diving(sky or deep), camping, fishing, gambling or down to Deep Ellum(a fun area in Dallas),and you really think you need to know what time it is, stop somewhere on your way out and buy a cheap Timex, Casio, whatever for around $12.00. If you're styling, smoozing, pimping or courting, break out the good old Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer,, Luminox....If you don't like any of these suggestions, google Dakota... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have worn an original "seal" luminox 24/7 for past 8 years. I am a career firefighter, and this watch never leaves my wrist. It is one of the strongest watches ever made. After 8 years, it is +1second per two weeks.

On Omegas. I have two Seamasters, an auto and a quartz. I am not sure about auto but my SMP quartz is rated to 5000Gs. It is not a misprint. 300M has a bullet-proof movement.

matt_j

Enlightened
Honest suggestion from actual user...

Can't beat the illumination from the hands and that's the best thing about them. Now the sad part is that I broke 2 Luminox watches. Crystals just cracked in the middle. I abouse my watches and I am hard on them but I never had a cracked windows. My daily activities include kayaking, camping, climbing and I work as a paramedic. After cracking the second one I gave up especially becasue of the snoty attitude I got from the company. I went with Chase-Durer watch (UDT) but even if it felt solid and slick I couldn't deal with dim readout after being spoiled by Luminox. So I bought a basic Marathon watch which is basically the same stuff as Luminox but the glass dome window was gettign scratched very easily so I gave up. I went on ebay and bought another Luminox but this time with fiber/steel casing since there is a local guy in Queens NY that can change crystals on that one (he couldn't do it on the regular model). Also their plastic strap are very good. They are tough and strong which saves you a buck or two since you don't have to replace them. I didn't care much for the velcro strap. So the watches are decent. Customer service is crap. Definiately not Navy Seals hardcore unless my lifestly is more demanding that theirs (which I doubt).

Matt