Hybrid Solar LED Flashlight Review

Marduke

Flashaholic
Classic case of lux != lumens. The hotspot intensity is very misleading and does not tell you the overall brightness of the light. Notice how there is practically no spill whatsoever.

Besides, 40 lumens is absolute impossible from that emitter.

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if they updated the l.e.d.? I purchased mine in September of last year. Mine have a 1/2 watt l.e.d. and are around 10 lumens. They use the same l.e.d. and are similar in brightness to the River Rock 2AAA flashlight which uses the same l.e.d.. Here's the link to the review I did of this light then.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208567

Aloha Hooked on Fenix. Had I known you had done your review, I would have just replied to it. By the way, I likey my Fenixes too. I have a handful of them.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes a very focused beam. One of the reasons your light appears bright is that it's focused the beam to a circle of 1/3 the diameter of the others. Since A = (1/2*D)^2 * Pi,

The hybrid light would have (other) * 1/9 as much light as one with an equally bright hotspot.

75/(9) is about 10 lumens, but at a very high lux.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Awesome photos, Hanzo! It looks like a good thrower, and I see why you are impressed by its performance.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does look a lot like the River Rock 2AAA's .5 watt emitter, but this one looks to have 4 wires, I want to say the RR had 6. There is the multi die LED that is used in the Killer AAA, I have no info on what that is howerver or how bright.

Great shots, that's a pretty impressive beam, especially the tint. 40 lumens or not, I'd definately find that useful.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I don't have any beamshots and haven't really compared the total output to anything I would consider a standard. Mine definitely has a lens and reflector but it does produce a fairly narrow beam.

The beamshots above I think are a fair representation of the tint, however, on the two I acquired. It is pretty nice, particularly for that price point and for the unknown emitter. I didn't see a lot of variation between the two we have either, YMMV of course.

I suppose this falls into the category of it is more than it is - my expectations were pretty tempered and it has exceeded them. But don't expect this to be a L4 wall of light or something. It is not screamingly bright and while reasonably well made for a plastic light, if a bit large to accomodate the solar panel, it is not HAIII aluminum. It is, however, a pretty useful light to have hanging around as a backup, late night utility, camp, power outage light. I have not taken it camping, but likely will, and I really like it for a power outage - over a day or two you could use it all night and know that you can charge it the next day and not burn through batteries. Compared to shake and crank lights, to me at least, the quality and utility is much higher on this light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This does look a lot like the RR LED. Just checked and the RR seems to have six wires, like defloyd77 says.

Geoff

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! This definitely looks like something to throw in the camping box.

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for your comments and for explaining TIR to a non-technical flashaholic. I almost blasphemed and said I have too many lights, but then I came to my senses and bought some more. :whistle:

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention, when I took the pictures, the Fenix flickered a lot in the camera display but not the hybrid. I remember reading about the Fenix lights pulsing to improve battery life. I can't see it by eye, but definitely can by camera.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
This does look a lot like the RR LED. Just checked and the RR seems to have six wires, like defloyd77 says.

Geoff

Wow, I'm surprised I actually remembered that right. Any of you know what the Killer AAA uses or at least how many wires it has?

5kids

Newly Enlightened
One or more of my Local Costco's (Tempe, AZ) is closing out at $14.97 per 2 pack. Costco Item 700138
I think I'll go by 2 packs today during lunch.