• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I am a new Gun Fan! Please educate me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imon

Enlightened
OK..cool!

What kind of rubber grip tape should I buy?

None. :cool:
I've always found the URX grip to be very nice. Be sure to do through research before buying any gun and this includes getting a hands-on feel on them. Many ranges I live around also rent guns - I don't know where you live but perhaps you could go through that route as well.

Edit: I should also add that how you hold your pistol is very important (stance as well).
When I train some of my newbie friends on handgun marksmanship there are 5 aspects I always hit on - 3 core aspects and 2 peripheral. The three more important aspects are trigger control, breath control, and proper sight alignment and the other two aspects are stance and grip. I personally use a grip where I use put the fingers of my support hand in the grooves of my dominant hand with both my thumbs on the same side of the pistol pointing forwards.
I find that a nice consistent grip often is enough to overcome average-feeling handgun grips.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually ordered a MKIII but then I swapped over to the SR22 just because it looks more modern and is easier to clean...The MKIII Hunter with the short 4" barrel is so nice but it's too expensive for me.

Whatever floats your boat. :) I just like the MKIII, low price, rock solid and its basic design reminds me of the Luger. I obviously don't like the Nazis, but they made one heck of a nice firearm. The SR22 reminds me of the Walther P22. That's also a nice little gun. I'm a little different from most shooters, I enjoy cleaning guns as much as shooting them. Something about the mechanical aspect of it and getting it back to pristine condition really satisfied me.

Have fun with the Glock, that was one of the nicest guns I ever owned. 17C. Required very little maintenance and was a joy to shoot. It just felt right in my hand and it really was "Glock Perfection." :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
No love for the Mosquito? Even in the badass carbon body?

30c601943d441b8838da3f7.jpg

Imon

Enlightened

The Mosquito and P22 in my experience are a bit temperamental with ammo.
They prefer the good stuff - CCI Minimags, Velocitors, perhaps Stingers but I have heard otherwise from different people.
In fact, some people have told me their P22 or Mosquitos eat up bulk .22 LR just fine. Seems to me, and I have spoken with scores of people on this issue, that it's split somewhere down the middle.

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
I have never owned a gun before. Never ever shot one either. But I been thinking about getting a .22LR handgun

So far from what I have researched there are a few I have come across.

Semi automatic: Ruger MKIII, Ruger 22/45, Ruger SR22, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, S&W M&P22

Revolvers: S&W 617, Taurus 94.

After hours of browsing and research I wanna try the S&W M&P 22. I got to see it in a gunshop and really liked it.

Youtube has alot of video reviews of these guns that are fun to watch and very educational.

hotlight

Enlightened
No love from me...
jams galore, unless using the CCI Mini Mags.... my slide developed a fracture after 600 rounds, sent back to Sig, they fixed the trigger but not the slide(nothing was wrong with the trigger), finally they sent me a whole new gun after about 2 months of waiting.

I'd stay away from the Mosquito, at least I can't recommend it.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No love from me...
jams galore, unless using the CCI Mini Mags.... my slide developed a fracture after 600 rounds, sent back to Sig, they fixed the trigger but not the slide(nothing was wrong with the trigger), finally they sent me a whole new gun after about 2 months of waiting.

I'd stay away from the Mosquito, at least I can't recommend it.

Hmm... that's a shame because it's a cool looking gun. Looked it up and this seems to be a common problem. It might be one of those guns that are really picky about what you feed it. Did you stick to manufacturer specs? My Desert Eagle .44 didn't cycle Corbon loads because the grain was too low. MRI also recommended no reloads. Personally I didn't shoot reloads in it, why destroy parts on a $1200 gun? I hear some people do really hot loads with their 1911s and they warp the frame, lol.

Edit: It seems Sig doesn't manufacture the Mosquito, they put their name on it.

Last edited:

98GPF

Newly Enlightened
I have a P22 and an xD .45 compact. They're both fun to shoot.

Illum

Flashaholic
I think you are on the right track with starting with the .22lr, first off its fun to shoot, inexpensive, and no recoil. I should have gone with that route, like many other college students I started off with police trade-ins. In my case, a glock 22... which was a big bundle of kick but groups nicely. I don't think I ever found the "fun" in it... now I did find rifles fun, and has once owned half a dozen mausers, but don't go there. they are impractical in this day and age except probably to defend the Alamo from rebels hiding in the desert.

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Hmm... that's a shame because it's a cool looking gun. Looked it up and this seems to be a common problem. It might be one of those guns that are really picky about what you feed it. Did you stick to manufacturer specs? My Desert Eagle .44 didn't cycle Corbon loads because the grain was too low. MRI also recommended no reloads. Personally I didn't shoot reloads in it, why destroy parts on a $1200 gun? I hear some people do really hot loads with their 1911s and they warp the frame, lol.

Edit: It seems Sig doesn't manufacture the Mosquito, they put their name on it.

I used to tell people that there was only one rule on shooting reloads.
1. Only shoot the cartridges that you have personally reloaded (You could perhaps make an exception on a very trusted friend).
That way if there is a squib or double charge and you lose a finger or two you only have yourself to blame.

Back when I was working in a gun shop I knew two people who had lost fingers shooting reloads. One of the guys had lost 3 fingers ... well parts of 3 fingers. His Ruger SR9 blew up when he fired a round after a squib - tragic stuff.

The Desert Eagle is a very unique handgun ... not quite sure why it was made other than to prove you can make a gas-operated handgun... I dunno, I've always considered it the Hummer of handguns - it's big, conspicuous, and expensive to fill up.

As for the Mosquito you can tell they are made in Germany, most likely by Walther, because of the German proof stamps on the slide and the barrel. American made guns are all proofed like in Europe but I don't necessarily know of any American gun makers who proof stamp their guns (perhaps Ruger?). Oh, and Sig has a long and complicated history of ownership... Sig is Swiss then they team up with Sauer & Sohn (German) to export guns, then created an American subsidiary Sig Sauer and now it's owned by a German investment firm... something like that ... it confuses me sometimes.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I spend quite a bit of time on another forum and have read mixed reports regarding the Mosquito.

.22 semiauto handguns are incredibly fun. While a S&W .22 revolver is always a fine choice for long-term use, the Ruger MkII / MkIII's cannot be beat for a beginning shooter IMO. I have more rounds through my MkII Target than all of my other handguns combined. If anybody does go for a Ruger MkII / MkIII, definitely go for the 'bull barrel' target models with adjustable sights. I've shot both styles and the target models are much nicer to shoot IMO.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the .22 caliber. I'm not a huge fan of pistols preferring rifles for target shooting and plinking, but given the short distances for typical pistol target practice .22 is cheap, fun, accurate, low recoil, and oh yeah....fun.

What Kestrel said; unless you plan on carrying concealed, etc., the target versions are so much better at the range and rewarding.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I'm a firearm enthusiast as well as a flashaholic. Too bad my bank account can't cover all the things I want. I love the .22LR caliber. Got a Ruger Mark III Hunter (stainless fluted 6 7/8" barrel) and a S&W Model 41 target pistol. Both have red dot optics. Fun as heck to shoot. Glock 19 is a favorite as well as the Glock 30. Just got my new Ruger 10/22 Tactical with wood stock and looking to mount a new Nikon scope soon on it. Finally, AR-15 rifles are fun to shoot and build and everyone has to get a shotgun in their arsenal. Revolvers are also a favorite and I like .38spl and .357 magnums.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned by others, the .22 LR is a great starting point for handguns. Inexpensive, low recoil and just plain fun! Right now I have a Sig Trailside Target, Ruger MK2 custom and 22/45 all with Tasco Propoints (much needed for my aging eyes!). The Ruger .22 autos (MK2,3 and 22/45) are easily customized and have almost as many aftermarket options as my other favorite the 1911 .45 ACP.

Welcome to your new hobby!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have never owned a gun before. Never ever shot one either. But I been thinking about getting a .22LR handgun

So far from what I have researched there are a few I have come across.

Semi automatic: Ruger MKIII, Ruger 22/45, Ruger SR22, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, S&W M&P22

Revolvers: S&W 617, Taurus 94.

The Browning Buckmark is another excellent .22 caliber automatic worth considering.

sawlight

Enlightened
I've also heard a lot of problems with the Mosquito, sad because most Sigs are some of the best built guns!
I had a Glock 19, added night sights, loved it! But I wanted more bang so I sold it and got a Delta Elite in 10mm, the "original" 40S&W!
A friend of mine bought a Springfield XD in .40, liked it, but wasn't in love like he'd hoped. Sold it and got a Glock 19 and he's in heaven! It's really a great gun for what it is, I think the Sig 226 is about the only gun I'd chose above it in that class but it would have to be stainless.
I'm not a big fan of the 9mm myself, it works, does what it should in it's means, just don't go above the 124 grain loads and expect good results from what I've learned.
I also have to get on the 10/22 bandwagon, another one of best in class guns! My dad and I bought mine when I was 16, I'm 43 now and still shooting that same rifle and still get that giddy feeling every time I go plinking with it!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Just a FYI for everybody please keep in mind that this shouldn't become a 'handguns for self-defense' type of thread, as stated earlier there are many good firearms forums for that topic. All the constructive discussion so far has been greatly appreciated. Best regards,

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got into the hobby of Guns. They are just as addicting as flashlights! :)
I'm the opposite. Been into firearms for quite awhile and recently have been getting into flashlights.

My next purchase will be a Glock 19 :)
The G19 is a fan favorite. People will dislike it for various reasons, but it's also one of the more popular and reliable guns out there. My advice is to go to the range and rent one and see how it feels in your hands.

I have 3 myself.... 2 x Gen 3's and 1 x Gen 4

I have a few questions for everyone.

- What are your favorite calibers and why.
- What are your favorite pistols and why.
- What online websites have good prices?
- Are there any budget .22LR and 9mm pistols that are cheap and fairly reliable?
I don't have a favorite caliber. But most of my guns are either 9mm, .45 ACP, .22LR, .223/5.56, and 12 gauge.

I my favorite pistols are Glocks and 1911's.

There are a few good sites that sells firearms. PM me for more details as I don't want to advertise anything (I have no affiliation with any of the places. I've just bought from them in the past).

The SR-22 pistol is popular right now, and so is the GSG 1911.... both in .22LR caliber. Lots of 9mm handguns to choose from. Again, it really comes down to what you like and what feels good to you. Hold as many as you can, and rent/shoot as many as you can before you decide on buying one. Or you can be like me... buy a gun because you want it and then shoot it. Then if you don't like it or get bored of it, sell it.

Tell me anything interesting. I love this new hobby!
It's an expensive hobby, but a very fun one.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Glock 19 is a fine pistol. First time I shot one though, I was surprised by its pronounced muzzle flip. Recoil wasn't an issue. But fast and accurate follow-up shots were. Other than that, I can see why it's an extremely popular handgun. Simple, bullet-proof reliable, and dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.