• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I am a new Gun Fan! Please educate me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imon

Enlightened
Glock 19 is a fine pistol. First time I shot one though, I was surprised by its pronounced muzzle flip. Recoil wasn't an issue. But fast and accurate follow-up shots were. Other than that, I can see why it's an extremely popular handgun. Simple, bullet-proof reliable, and dependable.

Hmmm.... Sounds uncharacteristic to me...
What cartridges were you shooting? 9mm NATO? Was it a overpressurized round? Heavier than 115 gr?
Normal 115 gr loadings of 9mm in a gun that weighs 23 oz (~1.5 lbs, a G19 that's fully loaded weighs about 28-30 oz) should not have that much recoil impulse or "snap".

9mm guns that have been retrofitted to fit .40 S&W (Pretty much what a Glock 23 is) have a much greater "snap" to them.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
The way the Glocks have their grip angle, you shouldn't really get any 'muzzle flip' when shooting a 9mm (G17, G34, or G19). Even when I shoot my G21SF with a larger round and more recoil, I don't notice any muzzle flip.

My G19 with RMR-A has little flip, but maybe I just have a mean grip on it. For the short barrel in it, compared to a G34, it serves me well in steel matches that I've shot with it.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Cowboy action shooting is popular and family oriented.
Ruger vaquero in stainless and rimmed cartridges are nice in that you do not need full velocity to punch holes in paper.
Easy to check if loaded.
Savage 99 are lever action rifles that I think are the best looking cowboy style,carbine or rifle,but these shot rifle cartridges rather than pistol.
Be sure to wear good hearing protection the shooter in the next lane will ruin your concentration with high pressure loads.

I have progressive lenses so I have a tendency to look through the bottom of my lenses, causing misses.
Using just safety glasses lets me see the front sight much better.

If you hear a pop instead of a bang, do not pull the trigger again. Wait, then clear weapon then check for obstructions.

I am sure you have heard of being aware of what's beyond your target. Where your barrel is pointing and keep your finger off the trigger.

And most accidental discharges are when unloading a pistol. Leaving a cartridge in a barrel is bad. So is touching the trigger on a supposedly empty gun.

Be safe out there.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I own guns of various calibers that serve their designated purposes well, I wholeheartedly agree with the various suggestions regarding the .22s, especially the Ruger MK II (bull barrel).
There is practically no better target gun for the beginner or long time shooter. Another .22 favorite is the Ruger Single-Six convertible in .22LR and .22 Magnum. When properly sighted in it is hard to find a more accurate, fun and safe beginner's weapon that will still put a smile on an old timer too. With the included .22 Magnum cylinder it is practical for small game as well.

I'm a big fan of 12 gauge shotguns (mostly pump actions) as there is probably not a more versatile or reliable weapon available. It is excellent for self defense, hunting a wide variety of game, from small game, to birding, to deer and for various types of recreational shooting. By recreation, I am referring to trap and skeet, sporting clays and making rainbows.

Rainbows?

Last edited:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
To OP: If competitive shooting is something you find interesting, may I suggest bullseye or metallic silhouette. Both are appropriate for novice shooters and are an excellent way to learn gun safety and hone basic marksmanship skills. You can use a .22 cal handgun as well. Local ranges and shooting clubs should have info on all shooting sports available in your area. There are also websites that can direct you to paces to go shooting.

** OT edit - Kestrel **

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckg

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got into the hobby of Guns. They are just as addicting as flashlights! :)

For my first two gun I bought a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger SR22 Pistol.

Both are excellent guns!

My next purchase will be a Glock 19 :)

At the moment I am only interested in pistols. I will get into rifles sometime down the road but not right now. So here I have a few questions for everyone.

- What are your favorite calibers and why.
- What are your favorite pistols and why.
- What online websites have good prices?
- Are there any budget .22LR and 9mm pistols that are cheap and fairly reliable?

Tell me anything interesting. I love this new hobby!

Vinh, the Monroe show is coming up April 14th and 15th. Want to meet up there and discuss? I always get lots of inspiration at the shows.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hmmm.... Sounds uncharacteristic to me...
What cartridges were you shooting? 9mm NATO? Was it a overpressurized round? Heavier than 115 gr?
Normal 115 gr loadings of 9mm in a gun that weighs 23 oz (~1.5 lbs, a G19 that's fully loaded weighs about 28-30 oz) should not have that much recoil impulse or "snap".

9mm guns that have been retrofitted to fit .40 S&W (Pretty much what a Glock 23 is) have a much greater "snap" to them.

9mm NATO.

I confess it felt odd to have such a pistol jump in my hand. Despite the solid, two-hand, hold.

Edit:

Then again, during the very same shooting session, I had an H&K MP5 jam on me even before I got the first round off. The Range Master checked the weapon, and even he couldn't get it to fire. Meanwhile, the MP5 has a legendary reputation for reliability.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
CPF Revolver gurus: get in here!

I could ask this at any number of gun forums I'm on, but I know we have a lot of students of the handgun lurking here at CPF, and I'm curious what you guys think.

I'm looking for a revolver. I've been shooting, training with, and exclusively carrying a Glock 17 for seven years now. It's the only handgun I shoot. It's the only handgun I carry. But lately, I've been feeling the need to pick up a wheelgun, for the sole purpose of shooting and familiarizing myself with running a revolver in a serious defensive manner. I'll be dry-firing, manipulating, and shooting the hell out of it. I'll hopefully be attending a class with it as well, if possible.

Pretty much everything about using a revolver in a practical manner is 100% foreign to me, along with what makes a good wheelgun for my intended purpose. I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy for this little familiarization experiment. A few parameters:

1) I'd like to keep this no more than $1,500 total. This includes the gun, a *good* holster, speedloaders, carriers, snapcaps, and any custom work I may need (see below).

2) No J-frames/ small hideout pieces. I want a full sized framed, 2-4" barreled, steel gun that's appropriate for use as a primary handgun. Heavy is fine.

3) .38 or .357. No real preference here, as loads are available in both calibers that penetrate sufficiently. .357 might give some more options with respect to heavy loads, I suppose. At this point I don't care much either way.

4) Bobbed hammer. I know enough to know that target hammers are 100% inappropriate on a carry/ defensive wheelgun. I realize the gun does not necessarily need to come from the factory this way.

5) Smooth trigger face. No crazy serrations or checkering on the face of the trigger. Again, inappropriate for a defensive gun.

6) If I go with a S&W, I REALLY prefer no lock. A lock isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it just won't sit right with me.

7) No adjustable blade rear sights. See #4 and #5.

8) Don't care if it's new or used. Looks are 100% unimportant, provided the timing, lockup, and overall function is sound.

I'm totally clueless here about where to start, so help me out. I'm all ears.

Imon

Enlightened
Re: CPF Revolver gurus: get in here!

I wrote a long and rambling post about my thoughts on revolvers but I thought I might bore everybody and irk the mods so I'll just condense it down to this. :confused:

I was originally going to suggest a S&W 640 but you've probably already looked into that so I'll just say look into the Rhino revolver. Unlike most conventional revolvers the Rhinos have the barrel situated at the bottom of the cylinder instead of the top which reduces muzzle flip.
Besides for that it has been awhile since I've familiarized myself with revolvers but just scanning through my mind... S&W, Ruger, Charter Arms, Taurus, Rossi, ... Dan Wesson? I don't know exactly what you'd like but I don't just want to throw models out there...

8ball29

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100/SP101 would fit the bill.

Why did you choose to disregard J frames? I would suggest a S&W 642 over any other revolver out there.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
S&W 340 PD is the almost universal answer to the "defensive carry revolver" question, but it is indeed a J frame. Outside of that, the 686 is the wheel gun of choice of those few remaining police officers who still carry them..

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
686+ with 2.5" barrel is fun to shoot. Also the 'plus' model holds 7 rounds of .357 Magnums. It's also more practical to use than the .44 Ruger Alaskan 2.5" I used to have (that was a beast and very cool, but pointless for me to own & shoot).

The PD revolvers are pretty light, where as the 686 or other similar framed revolvers are lot heaver and can help with recoil & muzzle flip. Try shooting a 340 PD with Magnum rounds for awhile. The scandium frame and the full Magnum rounds will being to take its toll on you.

Newly Enlightened
Why did you choose to disregard J frames? I would suggest a S&W 642 over any other revolver out there.

I have nothing against J-frames at all, it's just that I don't care to shoot or carry small-framed handguns. I've been comfortably carrying a full sized auto with an X300 attached for years (all year 'round), and see no reason to compromise performance and shootability just to get something smaller or lighter.

I think it's a poor choice when I see guys taking a training class decked out with a full sized Glock in an OWB holster and two reloads, when what they actually carry every day is a J-frame in a pocket holster accompanied by a speed strip. I make every effort to shoot and train with the setup that I actually live with every day.

The adage 'Train like you fight' is so overused it almost makes me cringe when I hear it... but it's an important concept, and it's why I prefer to carry full sized handguns.

I appreciate the suggestions, gents. Both the 686 and GP100 strike me as solid choices; I'll be checking them out. Any more thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Illum

Flashaholic
Glock 19 is a fine pistol. First time I shot one though, I was surprised by its pronounced muzzle flip. Recoil wasn't an issue. But fast and accurate follow-up shots were. Other than that, I can see why it's an extremely popular handgun. Simple, bullet-proof reliable, and dependable.

Wait till you try out the Keltec PF9... I was surprised to find a 9mm having such recoil sneaking up on me. Now that I think of it, maybe I should have kept the glock instead of selling it for a rifle.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just recently got into the hobby of Guns. They are just as addicting as flashlights! :)

For my first two gun I bought a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger SR22 Pistol.

Both are excellent guns!

My next purchase will be a Glock 19 :)

At the moment I am only interested in pistols. I will get into rifles sometime down the road but not right now. So here I have a few questions for everyone.

- What are your favorite calibers and why.
- What are your favorite pistols and why.
...and your wife thought lights were expensive! :D

1. 9mm & 22LR - cheap, universally available, versatile calibers for defense, plinking, hunting, reloading (9mm)
2. SAO's, mainly. KISS, intuitive, fast to service, inherently safe (when user is properly trained).

Do yourself a favor and, if you haven't already done so, invest some money in training, good training, really good training. And then some more training. Did I mention quality training?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
686 6" with Hunter cylinder and custom grip - because deterrence.

634082463000000000k5dr4.jpg

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hello 750.356

You don't sound like a neophyte when it comes to carrying or shooting a pistol. I have carried a pistol for more than 35 years 90% of the time it was a revolver. From S&W J frame, Models 36 & 37 - 2" - round butt, to K frame Models 10 - 3" - Rd. Butt, 65 - 3" - Rd Butt, 66 - 21/2" - Rd Butt and L frame 686 - 3" - Rd Butt (called a CS-1 built for the U.S. Customs Service) add to that a Colt Detective Special - 2" -. I never felt under armed with any of the K or L frames, the J frames were comforting to have when weather or dress options required it.

I think you can't go wrong with a K frame or even the old Ruger Security Six with a 21/2 to 3" barrel and round butt. You can turn a round butt into a square butt with a grip change but you can't do the opposite. The little bit of extra barrel allows for a complete shell extraction over a 2". I like steel frame guns and would not be afraid of used guns if you know what to look for. If you don't know what to look for you can learn. I'd be happy to help you. Alot of used guns have been carried much more than they've been shot and are good deals.

The L frame and Ruger GP-100 are excellent pistols but they are bulkier and even thou you are carring a decently large gun in the G-17,( I have one also) the K frames are just that much more comfortable to carry in my opinion.

The .357 mag. allows you to shoot .38 special rounds as well but you can't revese that. So go with the .357 as a first choice and hve the option.

I also want to recommend two books to you that I have nothing to do with. I have read them and find the information to be sound.
Gun Digest Book of the Revolver by Grant Cunningham, this should answer most of your questions and The Modern Day Gunsinger by Don Mann it's one of the better shooting books. Again this is just my opinion.

Good Luck.

Newly Enlightened
^ Excellent info, GRunner. Much appreciated.

I handled a S&W 19, a GP100, and 686 yesterday, all in 4" flavor. All were heavier than I was expecting (carrying a plastic auto all these years has spoiled me). Of all 3, I liked the overall feel of the K-frame the most (it was also noticeably lighter)

I'm also starting to think more about something a little more minimalist; .38 special, lighter profile barrel, unshrouded ejector rod, shorter 2.5-3" barrel. Either that, or maybe considering some of those exotic scandium/aluminum framed S&Ws to mitigate the weight issue. Now, I can kind of imagine myself tiring of carrying a nearly 40oz hunk of steel in my pants (with 1/3rd of the capacity of my much lighter G17). I definitely want to shoot a few of them though, to see what kind of impact on shootability the light weight has.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
.38 special, lighter profile barrel, unshrouded ejector rod, shorter 2.5-3" barrel. Either that, or maybe considering some of those exotic scandium/aluminum framed S&Ws to mitigate the weight issue.

You're sure you wouldn't try the 340PD? It's basically everything you've described minus the rod..

340d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.