I can't make up my mind!

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps the powers that be here at CPF can help me make up my mind about which light I should get as my first (small) LED. I basically have 2 lights right now, since I am just getting started with this hobby - a 2D Mag that I put a 3w LED upgrade from the local hardware store, and a SF G2 that I picked up at a local sporting goods store (found CPF in the morning, found a SF by that afternoon - instant gratification!).

I like both lights very much, and I'd like to add an LED light similar (in size) to the G2. I started out looking at the Inova X5 on flashlightreviews.com, as my local hardware store carries them. I then came back to CPF to see what I could find out, and discovered the T-series from Inova, so I thought that perhaps the T3 would be the way to go. I head back to flashlightreviews, only to discover the T5! Argh! :xyxgun:

So....back to CPF I come for more reading on the T5, and yet I find a DIFFERENT light yet - the 3rd Gen. X0 from Inova. Holy cow...this is getting crazy, and yes I've read the mantra, "When in doubt, buy both!", but I'm trying to stay reasonable with this and take baby steps. I think it's also fair to mention that while I'm aware of the Fenix P1D-CE, I actually think it's a little too small for what I want at this point. That, and the fact that I'm more of a "wait-and-see" kind of person (i.e., where the Cree technology goes in price and availability in the next few months) leaves that one off my list.

So.... Of the ones I've listed above: :dedhorse:

X5
T3
T5
X0

Which one should I buy?! At this point, I think I'm most interested in really "throwy" lights. For whatever reason, I just get a kick out of illuminating treetops and such from hundreds of feet away - no reason, really, other than that I think it's cool. I suppose that takes the X5 off the list, as it seems to be more of a short-range, spread type beam from what I've read. Nonetheless, people seem to love their X5s, so I figure there's got to be a reason for it.

At any rate, that's enough rambling out of me for now! Thanks for taking the time to read my post...

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
The lumapower d-mini sounds like something you should look into.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, try out the LumaPower D-Mini with a Cree. Less than $60 with very good throw! If you don't want to spend that much, then go for the new model Inova XO, a very good light indeed.

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
Raptor# said:
Throwy, Cree... well, maybe mod a cheap existing light with a cree? Or the lumapower D-mini.
Maybe you should take a look at this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146169 :grin2:
Nice... The Cree modded light in that thread that runs off a single AA would be nice, but I know there's no way I could do the mod myself. Just don't have the tools (or the know-how!)... Maybe I'll be able to buy something similar at some point relatively soon. Until then, any thoughts on the lights mentioned above?

carrot

Flashaholic
If you want a satisfyingly powerful light, why not a 15 million candlepower Cyclops Thor, for $30 from Costco? (If they still sell it...) It's large and heavy, but GUARANTEED to put a smile on your face once you see the output.

Or there's the Streamlight TL3 (xenon) which I believe throws better than either the Inova T3 or T5.

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
If you want a satisfyingly powerful light, why not a 15 million candlepower Cyclops Thor, for $30 from Costco? (If they still sell it...) It's large and heavy, but GUARANTEED to put a smile on your face once you see the output.

Or there's the Streamlight TL3 (xenon) which I believe throws better than either the Inova T3 or T5.

Yeah...I've seen that guy before at Costco. I was always curious about it's beam, but was skeptical (it's Costco afterall, right?). Maybe I'll pick one up for fun in the backyard. In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to pull something out of my pocket about the size of an average EDC light (i.e., a G2) that puts out light like a Cyclops Thor! I get a kick out saying to people, "Hey....watch this...." and then seeing these -- :drool: :huh: :drool:

Anyway, I looked at the thread on the Lumapower D1 mini - that looks like it might be a way to go. The price is definitely right, and anything that is referred to as a "throw monster" and "pocket rocket" all in one breath sounds like it's right up my alley. Though it does sound like there are some issues with Lumapower and some recent earthquake, so maybe I'll wait before PayPaling any $$$ to ensure that they're back online and are able to process orders.