I just got this crazy huge flashlight at the fleamarket for ten any idea what it is?

joeyss

Newly Enlightened
The front with the reflector is about a foot long and the rest of the thing takes up around 2.5 feet.

It took a 7ah 12 v SLA but i was about to put a 8 in there since it had the same terminals and the one that came with it was a but sulfated.

it has too modes lower and higher and when you switch to higher the beam gets narrow and really bright. like 3300k.

I took some pics and that red filter is from the Stanley LED 10 watt spotlight.it gives you a code idea how big it is.

Also the inside of the bulb has a brown deposit. Any idea what it is and what mods can i do?

http://imgur.com/a/VN7Jn

PolarLi

Enlightened
The usual mod is a HID kit. Not sure if this one has room for the ballast inside, but you can always put it on the outside.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
I have one too, bought about 20 years ago.
I think I payed something like USD 60:- for it new.
Uses standard H4 halogen bulbs for cars, so it's as bright as a car headlight.
Very impractical to use though, it's HUGE.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search the threads for mods to that big ole thing. I know I saw some where someone did a mega led mod with a huge copper heat sink and a computer fan. I think it was the same light or similar.

joeyss

Newly Enlightened
I have one too, bought about 20 years ago.
I think I payed something like USD 60:- for it new.
Uses standard H4 halogen bulbs for cars, so it's as bright as a car headlight.
Very impractical to use though, it's HUGE.
yeah but it has Very low spread and it hit over 850 feet away at night

I think i'll wait till the bulbs burn out then take it apart the battery connnectors are simple just one for negative and one for positive

How would a cree xml be in this?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like an old "Thor"
allegedly 10 million cp (it isnt, more like 500,000cp)
Its not a bad light, but heavy, bulky and with a short runtime - it does throw pretty well though - we could still kinda just see the beam touching stuff at 800m with mine.
best thing to do is get a cheap H4 hid kit and install it - if you search for "thor hid" you should be able to easily find an old howto guide - more light and longer runtime all in one simple mod !

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still nowhere near the 10mcp they claim....

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Looks like the beginning of the China lumen.

I've got one of the 18 million cp lights. My oldest Maxa Beam is 6 million cp and blows the Cyclops away. Even the crappy Xenonics II with a 20 watt HID throws further.

The only saving grace on the Cyclops lights are they are cheap and dropping $20 to replace the lead acid battery beats $400 for a LiFePO4 that's designed for the other lights.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do make good HID hosts tho!

I have been kicking that idea around. I don't want just any HID short arc conversion though, I want to do a dual wattage version.

After conversion with one of the knowledgeable folks from here, I was informed that to keep to my budget of $200 I'd have to go D2S instead of D1S. I kinda liked the D1S version due to the bulb holder having an advantage for this mod.

Guess I'll be going cheep the first crack, then doing the dual wattage version next time.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blew the bulb while running it from my psu without the batt.

it blew both bulbs.

is this the one to replace it.

it's only a little over $4 https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/98669/EIKO-01019.html
Yes, its just a standard H4

a 55/60w may improve performance a little, as the current draw wont drop the voltage quite so much resulting in whiter light and longer life (or just throw a HID kit in)

joeyss

Newly Enlightened
I i found a off road car light on amazon thats 130w/100w.Worth trying for 6? and I already have a HID.

Worth trying I can get a car light from one of our junk cars.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I i found a off road car light on amazon thats 130w/100w.Worth trying for 6? and I already have a HID.

Worth trying I can get a car light from one of our junk cars.

Right now, you've got whatever you paid for the light. You need bulb and battery. ECHO has recommended using a lower wattage bulb because the light will run longer and have better color since the higher wattage bulb is going to drag the lead acid battery down fast and the higher wattage bulb needs lots of current.

Do yourself a favor, go with the lower wattage bulb and enjoy the light for a while. You're also going to have to replace the wiring and switches because they weren't designed to handle the current draw of teh higher wattage bulb. If you plan on using the light any amount of time, you probably won't miss the higher wattage bulb and the battery will last a lot longer between charges as well as it's lifetime.

BVH

Flashaholic
The Cyclops I bought came with the 130 Watt lamp from the factory. The same factory in China has made most if not all of these different versions of large spotlights we've seen here on CPF. The wiring in my 130 Watt Cyclops is the same size as the wiring in all my other Cyclops-style lights that came from the factory with 55 watt lamps. If it were mine, I'd buy the 9 Ah replacement battery and the 130 Watt lamp. Don't buy the 7 Ah replacement battery - the 9 Ah capacity replacement battery is exactly the same physical size and usually a dollar or three more than the 7 Ah.

joeyss

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 8AH that fit and I only paid 14 or so for both. What about making a Lithium ion pack? I have sony green cells the ones that can handle a 30A for a short load. I have 2 12v laptop packs with 9 cells per pack.

Also The 7ah hour battery that that came with it seems like it takes a charge. I brought back a dead 19ah SLA that read 0 volts by using my psu it took a week. It was one of those power on board yellow boxes with a 400 watt inventor. It ran a 300 watt light for 35 or so mins after I fully recovered it.

whats the best car bulb to use that has a high color temp and isn't too much and not colored?

Can i use the other lead acid as a auxiliary through the DC port?

I know it would be heavy.

I also have 3AH SLA