I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

Brigadier

Enlightened
I'm with Lux, I miss the days when the mods would keep the incan bashing LED fanboys and their drive by posts out of this forum.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I meant CPF in general, not just the incan vs. LED, or cool vs. warm, or anything else vs. whatever. There are those whose company I'll miss, but there is way too much of this in the past 6 months or so. I've been here long enough to watch the tone change, and have made it a point to try to contribute where I could, and have the sense to read and learn if I disagreed, and allow others their opinions and preferences. Respect the opinions of others, and enjoy the hobby, wherever it took me. LED's, Ti customs, budget lights, and my small collection of SF incans. This, for the most part, has been a very pleasant distraction from real life, and it's time for a change when it's not. To everyone whose company I've enjoyed, opinions I've respected, and those I've learned from, thank you. :) scout24, out.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technical gobbledegook and long-winded opinions aside, I have tried both because I've always read some people's insistence that the incandescent light is superior quality, better outside, more detail, etc etc. So I figured I'd see for myself.

I put together a SureFire P90 combo in a SolarForce host with 2 18650 Li-ions, which from what I read seems to be a popular, easy combo. I took this light out for a trail walk that included both a woodsy section and a wide open field section. I can't quite remember now what the LED light was that I used; I think it may have been the Fenix PD31 w/R5. It had one output mode that was about on par with the P90 light that I could use for comparison.

I really couldn't tell any visual superiority between the two lights. The incan just made stuff look "browner" (grass... it was winter) and the LED made stuff look "bluish". I didn't notice any difference in the level of detail that I could see with either light. The humidity was high and neither light had an advantage in the misty conditions either that I could tell.

So, that was my experience anyway. I can't tell any visual performance difference either way... at least I tried it though *shrugs*

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm with Lux, I miss the days when the mods would keep the incan bashing LED fanboys and their drive by posts out of this forum.
The comparison between the two basic choices invites all opinions of those caring to weigh in and while bashing has gone on a bit, it's most definitely been on both sides and yours is one of the worst type, suggesting that everyone who disagrees with you is a sophomoric fanboy.

Your preferences towards incandescent lighting is 100% valid, but for you to suggest that anyone, like myself, who has a general preference towards LED's from a pragmatic and practical position, but still loves incandescents, is a fanboy is unnecessarily antagonistic and is fully trolling in content, particularly when you could have posted in a less abusive manner.

You love your incans and I'm glad to hear support for them still - how about acknowledging that we all have the right to like what we like.

Brigadier

Enlightened
The comparison between the two basic choices invites all opinions of those caring to weigh in and while bashing has gone on a bit, it's most definitely been on both sides and yours is one of the worst type, suggesting that everyone who disagrees with you is a sophomoric fanboy.

Your preferences towards incandescent lighting is 100% valid, but for you to suggest that anyone, like myself, who has a general preference towards LED's from a pragmatic and practical position, but still loves incandescents, is a fanboy is unnecessarily antagonistic and is fully trolling in content, particularly when you could have posted in a less abusive manner.

You love your incans and I'm glad to hear support for them still - how about acknowledging that we all have the right to like what we like.

You are reading too much into my posts, and putting words in my mouth. Yes I like incans. I also have and use LED's. I prefer incans. Now, I challenge you to search the LED forum and find me posting over there saying that incans are superior to LED's..............you won't find it. I don't go over there and do drive by posting saying incans are superior to LED's - it is my opinion only, so I leave well alone. I just wish LED fanboys would so the incan forum the same respect.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You are reading too much into my posts, and putting words in my mouth. Yes I like incans. I also have and use LED's. I prefer incans. Now, I challenge you to search the LED forum and find me posting over there saying that incans are superior to LED's..............you won't find it. I don't go over there and do drive by posting saying incans are superior to LED's - it is my opinion only, so I leave well alone. I just wish LED fanboys would so the incan forum the same respect.
This thread is about incandescent and how they compare with LED's - there are no fanboys coming in here to rain on the parade and the term itself would be best left out of the thread, particularly in the interest of mutual respect for fellow CPF'ers. Let's talk about lights now and quit trying to exclude members from the thread.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
my friend gave me a custom HID, He told me it's smallest in the world. Love it so much .

What an awesome friend! I like HID's as well. Only have one though, a vector POB. Doesn't really compare to that sexy little beast of yours though, the POB is bulky! A few POB owners have changed out their bulbs for lower temps (4300K range). I kind of like the crystal- like bright white of the original bulb, but might try a lower temp one if it ever burns out. Thanks for posting the vids flashlightist. I thoroughly enjoyed them!

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
I'm not responding here to support either, as I use both and my opinion as to which I prefer is irrelevant to this post. I think the OP can lead to those who may prefer LED's to say why they may prefer those over incan's.

Last edited:

Littlelantern

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, this is my third post in the forum.I just registered an hour ago. I edc 9p p91hola and p2xfury .on any occasion each of the flashlight have the pro and con.but I personally love the glorious beam of my 9p vs the greenish white p2x fury.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread, but here is what I think. A while back I retired my incandescents because all they had was standard output and the battery life wasn't that good. My LEDS seemed to put out soo much brighter light compared to bulbs, but I started reading about color rendering and I also learned that the government is out to do away with incandescent lighting. It seems that Leds are being forced on us if we want any kind of light. Now that the government is forcing this foolishness on us and me not trusting the government as much as I used to got me thinking...what's up with this? I still use led lights, but I also got more incans and use them regularly and I really do like them. They have their purpose and in case of a EMP crisis I'll have some light along with a few others in the family. I also found out that it is counterproductive to use a light that is brighter than what you need because the glareback reflection can ruin your night vision. We have gotten by for years without LEDS--think about that. LEDS are useful, but it might be wrong to get too caught up in them.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like incandescent because of the tint and color rendition. It feels so natural and is pleasant for the eyes. Compared to the early generations of LEDs the LED just sucks with the cool bluish tint. But the development has went much further since then. Now there are a bunch of ~3000-4000K LEDs who very much remind of incandescent. There are also LEDs with 90+ CRI. I guess there is still a difference worth to appreciate but the huge difference in efficiency and durability/lifetime makes LED to be just great today. Consequently I think LED to a certain level has made incandescent superfluous.
I MAY be wrong because I have still not experienced a 2000lm incandescent flashlight side by side to warm white LED....
Actually I think this question is pretty much similar to the comparison between vinyl disc and CD...

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Incandescent lights are just so darn pleasant. My dream LED is one that replicates good incandescent light. Or direct sunlight. Not the weird 6500K "daylight" that looks nothing like daylight to me. More like moonlight.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys a think were all missing the coolest thing about incandescent lights... when the light is turned off and on there is a split second where you actually SEE it turning off and on.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Incandescent lights are just so darn pleasant. My dream LED is one that replicates good incandescent light. Or direct sunlight. Not the weird 6500K "daylight" that looks nothing like daylight to me. More like moonlight.

Moonlight is 4000K ... just saying.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Now there are a bunch of ~3000-4000K LEDs who very much remind of incandescent.

For most flashlight owners, except when the batteries are new, they are highly unlikely to see 3000K very often. There are regulated incandescents, but they are not the normal experience. There is no incandescent at over 3400K except where the bulb has been filtered in which case it really isn't an incandescent spectrum any more.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For most flashlight owners, except when the batteries are new, they are highly unlikely to see 3000K very often. There are regulated incandescents, but they are not the normal experience. There is no incandescent at over 3400K except where the bulb has been filtered in which case it really isn't an incandescent spectrum any more.

I think you are right. Compared to incandescent side-by-side 4000K LED is noticeable cooler. Still I really get incandescent reminding feeling with 4000K. Warm white LED is so much closer to incandescent than a cool white LED is to warm white LED.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...I also learned that the government is out to do away with incandescent lighting. It seems that Leds are being forced on us if we want any kind of light.
That was about 10 years ago and it was how they actually started pushing CFL's on us. Back at the time LED lighting was still not ready for prime time yet. I told everyone at work that within 10 years we'd have LED bulbs that were much better than CFL lighting as soon as A) Price came down, B) Output went up and C) Tints got close enough to incan for people to accept them. I was wrong about it taking 10 years as most of my friends had mostly converted to LED bulbs in their homes and businesses by 2015.

Incan will remain for many of us the gold standard for lighting, but I for one am very happy to have so many options available now. Just before posting I picked up my trusty E1e and compared its tint to my 3500k Rotary and there is less difference between them than there is between many incan bulbs.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think you are right. Compared to incandescent side-by-side 4000K LED is noticeable cooler. Still I really get incandescent reminding feeling with 4000K. Warm white LED is so much closer to incandescent than a cool white LED is to warm white LED.
That's why my 3500k lights are my absolute favorites. Reasonably warm, but white enough to use as an everyday tool.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife prefers the whiter colour of the led lights so hers is a polystinger led. Probably my favourite led light. I carry a neutral XML p60 drop in in a solar force host at work mainly due to the lower low and blistering high when I'm in a higher ambient light area. But for home use I always use an Incan. I never need super long runtime and much prefer the quality of light. My 3c mag puts out ~175 lumens for ~2 hours. What more does a person need.

Latest posts