Edwood

Enlightened
Show us your tool belt. :naughty:

Very nice work.

-Ed

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
Here are a few more added to the never ending list of SPECIAL CUSTOM Leather Holsters.

100_0313.jpg

The UNIVERSAL no strap friction fit that will work on almost all 1.25" diameter bezels. Including but not limited to the 'ARC mania' line of the Maxlites, Mega Micro and Extreme and also almost all the Surefire 'C' series non shock iso heads with or without the hex. These holsters requires a TWO POUND pull to remove the Flashlight --- And that is after numerous in and outs as well as tilting the Flashlight in all directions while inserting and removing. More pull needed if the one of the hex points hits the backing. I have made two types for high or low carry depending on the OAL of the Flashlight and how you want to carry it. Not complete, still need to do the trim work and add the beam shapers.

If you don't know my holster making by now, I guess I have to restate that I PRE-STRETCH the leather on almost all my holsters. This makes for a much tighter and secure fit and almost virtually eliminates future stretching. Ask someone that owns one to see if the head wrap has gotten wider or post here if you do own one of my creations.

For the Surefire Kroma Mil-Spec...

100_0302.jpg

100_0303.jpg

This holster was designed for left hand use only. As you can see by the angle, the tail is upwards towards the right when worn on the front left side of the belt line. This makes for a more ergonomic grab and go because the hand is naturally at that position if you place your left hand between your pant button and left pocket on your belt line. It also sports a ROTATABLE TWO button snap for a secure hold as well as a full open business end. I've tried a beam shaper in this one and it works great for the white LED but it dims out the colored ones too much, No IR goggles yet to test the IR LED through the beam shaper. This will also fit the Surefire U2 though the strap has to be changed. I also removed the stock clip for I didn't need it with this holster. Besides, if the clip remained and you insert it wrong, it would not snap shut. That too shows you how detailed my holster making is. I could make the strap fit when the clip is at any position though when inserted and the strap is not tight on the clip, the Flashlight will be loose and wobble. Red with black trim is killer looking.

And now for the 'ARC mania' SF-III...

100_0305.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

This is one nice holster even if I have to say so myself. The two tone red w/black trim has to be seen live for the pics just don't show the true beauty. I had to have this holster do the 'auto tilt' thingy. It is just awesome! It too sports the beam shaper window cover, that I am currently using to many of my holsters, to diffuse and spread the beam pattern to a more usable beam for wide area or close up use.

Anyone else use their SF-III on a regular basis?

More to come...

Njoy...

qarawol

Enlightened
Has anyone ever saw or used rawhide used as a holster? Rawhide is leather before it is leather as we know it. It is when the skin is taken right off the animal, stretched and hung to dry. No tanning process is used except for bleaching if desired. Bleached rawhide is mainly used for drum heads, lamp shades, shields etc. Anything that requires a stiff semi translucent white material. The tanning process is used to soften, color and make the leather pliable so that we can use it to make holsters, jacket, shoes, etc.

If you never seen rawhide before it is REALLY STIFF!!! I always wanted to make a holster out of rawhide but was scared due to the fear of it being so stiff and non workable... so I thought!

I asked if plain (non bleached) rawhide was sold in smaller pieces then the entire half a cow. I preferred the non bleached one for it is very translucent, looks semi clear brown and it shows much more characteristics then the plain looking white bleached one.

Two Leather Store managers never heard of rawhide used for a holster. Well you know me, I had to be different. I wanted to see if it was possible to make a holster out of something unique. Here is a sample of what I have made using small remnants of bleached rawhide.

100_0315.jpg

100_0320.jpg

The following pictures shows just how stiff this rawhide is. Look at the above picture again and look at the curvature of the retaining strap. Below are pictures of me holding the Flashlight up gripping just one edge of the strap with a pair of needle nose pliers.

100_0317.jpg

100_0319.jpg

Look how it doesn't bend much with TWO loaded working Flashlights. The SF-III is no light weight either and it is wearing its holster! Keep in mind that the strap is a mere 1/16th of an inch thick and only 1/2" wide. The head loop alone WITHOUT a flashlight inserted seems like it can withstand maybe 50 pounds + of crushing pressure. I pressed my palm down on it HARD! It compresses to an oval shape and springs right back. THIS IS SOME STRONG STUFF MAYNARD!

Working with this rawhide takes a lot more time. Maybe because it is new to me though I do know it still takes more work since you have to do a few more steps to do what you want it to do. Since I know now how to work with this tuff stuff.... Now to buy the expensive plain rawhide!!!!

Again, more to come...

Njoy...

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
Show us your tool belt. :naughty:

-Ed

Are you ready for it Ed????

How many electricians here read this thread?

I just realized that a lot of info regarding the tool system (tool belt) is not listed on my OP.

Here the more info to tease y'all more...

It took FIVE YEARS to determine what tools are REALLY needed during the course of the day on NORMAL SERVICE work. No major new installs, large industrial work etc... just basic service work... troubleshoot, basic new small to medium install, panels, outlets, switches etc. PM work and everything in between. I have all the larger tools though they are not needed during the course of service work.

- I went through three prototypes of holsters (tool system) until this number four one. Maybe add another year or so for trial and error times on the other three

- It all fits in a standard attache case - no not your computer type repair case that holds tools. Remember, this is made of leather and I do wear it.

- It comes apart to separate the two types of tools used in electrical work (think about that a bit)

- I can throw it on a roof or invert it and no tools fall out

- carried on the body like no other tool pouch out there

- It can be released from my body in under ONE SECOND!

- a one second peek and I can see if any tools are missing

- the backing of the main section that holds the primary tools is only 4.25" (108mm) x 6.75" (171mm) and that consists of... wire strippers, arc joint pliers (channel locks), needle nose, diagonal cutters, linemen pliers, screwdrivers (x 3, one main and two trim), utility knife, electrical tape holder.

- the backing of the additional tools is a mere 5.25" (133mm) x 7" (177mm) and holds a lot more tools

- all tools made by Snap-On

- I can fit my ENTIRE tool system less attache case and large meters in a carpenters nail bag.

- much more to share for this Tool System does a lot more.

Again, How many electricians here read this thread?

This system can't be appreciated without knowledge of the everyday rig-em-roll of electrical work, though other trades may...?

Njoy...

qarawol

Enlightened
Looky what I just picked up. A full half side of Rawhide...

100_0349.jpg

See how translucent it is? Even the tile pattern shows through nicely without any back lighting...

100_0351.jpg

100_0352.jpg

100_0354.jpg

This thing is so stiff that I had to hold the chair down for it pulled it back to the coffee table. It even pulled out from the leg of the coffee table and that is a solid marble top = heavy. When I first started to roll it out, it got away from me, curled back up and slammed on my toes. OUCH!!!

Ya think I can make a holster or two from it? It seems big enough. 'Edwood' mention that this will be a good natural alternative to Kydex. It is stiff like Kydex and very wear resistant yet I can mold it to what I want without a large oven mold making rig.

Let's see what I can come up with this new stuff.

Njoy...

Last edited:

Blackhatch

Newly Enlightened
WOW is all i can say! awesome work man! love the red leather!

i wanna make a holster for a belt that holds my inova X1 and my casexx 2 blade knife,but its not even gonna compare to these!

Shooter928

Newly Enlightened
Wow,the picture of the holster with the surefire g2z is amazing, I would love to have one of those! Any possibility of having one made? The only thing I would like different is a retaining strap with button closure.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Re: I make my own Leather sheaths and holsters. Warning! many pictures.

The Boss is okay, but if you're going to spend that much money to sew I'd suggest looking for a used Adler. Much, much faster. Of course some of the Ferdco models can be quite affordable new.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tippmann's products. I learned to sew on an Aerostitch. I just think you don't get anywhere near your money's worth with the Boss.

A few years back Dusty Johnson did a couple articles in the Leathercrafters Journal about a dremel versus an awl. He tested which was a stronger method. Short of the story the drill makes a better hole that's less likely to pull through and tear. He finished the article by saying something to the effect of: "the only reason old saddle makers used an awl is that they didn't have electric tools."
I couldn't find a used Adler 205 here if my life depended on it. You seem to have a lot more industrial cylinder arms your way. The best we can hope for here is a 153 Singer.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Re: I make my own Leather sheaths and holsters. Warning! many pictures.

I want to get into leather working for a hobby & make the sheaths holsters etc that the OP does. I tried to buy a Singer 153 cylinder arm 120 miles away & was to pick it up this week but the lady suddenly remembers that it doesn't work right & makes a noise( yeah, you betcha). I don't want to hand sew & turn of the century stitchers go for the price of a used motorcycle so a medium duty cylinder arm will be it.

Latest posts