I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...!

Might not be human. A horse could live that long. A REALLY healthy horse.

Last edited:

lightlust

Newly Enlightened

A man says, "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!"

The waiter replies, "SHHH! Now everyone will want one!"

If you brag about it, then EVERYONE in the neighborhood would want a backyard gravesite.

:laughing: SHHHH! :laughing:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

sounds like a fun saturday for your kids(if you got 'em)...

Just make sure you wear some good gas mask and good gloves when you dig it up. I have been near decomposed bodies and the stench is pretty barf-inducing...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

270winchester said:
sounds like a fun saturday for your kids(if you got 'em)...

Just make sure you wear some good gas mask and good gloves when you dig it up. I have been near decomposed bodies and the stench is pretty barf-inducing...
If they died in 1911 there will be probably be nothing left except bones and certainly no smell.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

JPasquini said:
This sort of thing happens every so often in my area of New York/New England. Typically, however, it turns out that the tombstones aren't marking a grave but rather were used at one time or another as a stone walkway. Such as story made the news in my local town a couple of years ago when four or five stones were found, and they all turned out to be "recycled" pavers.

I've seen that a few times myself - I can remember one in Flushing (NYC) at one time - it was an old "Bluestone" walkway. Now gone - in fact, almost all the old bluestone walks are gone - one of the last was along side my Mother in Laws old house - now ripped down - thing the walk is still there, but not for long

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Lots of humor & fun thoughts for sure - but indeed out of respect for the "possibly buried deceased" and family, I'd do a little research, contacting some appropriate authorities with questions perhaps?

Someone could be very happy/thankful that you've found one of their ancestors? Ah, but then all that gold would be known about. Hmmmmm? :thinking: Finders keepers? :D

CLHC

Flashaholic

Interesting find here. . .Hope you figure out who, and whatever needs to be done. Curious to know how it'll turn out though.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."

"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble...."

I would be very respectful of the non-living and research through the local town library or internet. I don't think i'd go poking in the ground just yet. Unless i had a priest and some Holy Water nearby to bless the ground after it had been disturbed.

I'd also wait until around Halloween to make the experience as spooky as possible. :poof:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

C'mon, do you have any idea how expensive human skeletons have gotten since India stopped exporting them? :devil:

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

I don't think you have any recourse against the seller. A seller doesn't have to disclose any information voluntarily, but has to answer truthfully if asked.

Lightmeup

Enlightened

If there is a legible name on the stone and you have a local newspaper that was around in 1911, they might have an archive of their old issues. You could look through the obituaries from 1911 for the name. Or a local library might have some records from that time.

Darell

Flashaholic

BugOutGear_USA said:
I don't think you have any recourse against the seller. A seller doesn't have to disclose any information voluntarily, but has to answer truthfully if asked.
Errr. Wrong thread? :thinking:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Darell said:
Errr. Wrong thread? :thinking:

Right Thread. Phaserburn asked in the first post if he had recourse due to non-disclosure by the seller.

Some people may pay more for the exotic feature. How many folks have a body in their back yard? Wait. I don't want to know.

Daniel

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

A picture would be cool, thats for sure!
There is a chance that it may be for a pet, there were crazy cat women back then too.. :ohgeez:
Isn't there some equiptment that can photo through the earth? Maybe I just watch too much CSI...
Another thought.. What if you do find out that there is something under the ground that may interfere with your deed, like multiple graves or something? Me, I would get a shovel and get to work!
A picture of where it is orintated may help someone with a little more common sense than me help you figure this very cool little mystery out..

turbodog

Flashaholic

After being involved with some long-term exhumations, I can guarantee you that absolutely nothing is left by now. No coffin hinges, buttons, etc. If you're lucky you might find some discolored dirt.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, a pic may be possible. I tend to get home when it's dark, though.

First of all: digging anything simply isn't happening. Even if I didn't have issues with disturbing a potential grave, my wife and family would be completely freaked out. This is not far from my home at all - today. Back in 1911, it was almost all woods. I of course told my wife, but don't want to disturb the sleep of my 7 year old son just yet! He still sleeps with a nightlight, know what I mean? Even if there were some remains to find, a metal detector might not penetrate the proverbial 6 feet under. Also, there is a name on the stone, and while not complete, clearly isn't a pet.

In answer to some of the questions and comments posted:

This is not a paver stone or the remnant from a walkway or anything like that. It's clearly a seperate grave marker. It isn't a headstone; it was intended to lie flat in the earth. To me, that in itself is odd for a single body buried off in the woods like this.

My town of Bethany is very small, pop around 5000 in the latest census. It is around 7-8 miles from the city of New Haven. New Haven is home to Yale University, a collegiate monster with a world-class library and rare books/records archive. If I had the time, I'd be down there right now poking about. Heck, I'd like to spend a few weeks in there just because! They have some really interesting and amazing things that date back to even long before Elihu Yale decided this was a good place for a school of higher education (1701).

I am going to poke around the local historical society and see what I can find out about the history of my property. For a little date perspective about the area:

1638 - Colony of New Haven was settled by the Puritans from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The town of Bethany was part of this land purchased from the local Native American tribes. For the next 194 years, Bethany was a part of New Haven.
1832 - Bethany incorporated as a seperate town.
1849 - My Mystery Tenant was born.
1861 - US Civil War
1875 - Hartford named capitol of the state of Connecticut.
1910 Census - Bethany pop 495.
1911 - The Mystery Tenant "departs".
1914 - World War I, and the first paved road in Bethany.

I've heard some word of mouth stories about the original builder of my home. I won't go into detail yet as I want more solid info, not just speculation. Nothing wild or anything. A few odd things, though: The road I live on was originally intended as a place for Yale profs to live; still are some that do. Each home/property has a name. The name for my property is, "The Cave". I don't know why. There are 3 acres or so of woods, and I don't remember a cave anywhere. But there is a spot on a hillside that is now covered in rocks that perhaps was it. There is also a pumphouse off in the woods by itself that is built into the ground with stone stairs leading down to a sealed wood door that is locked. I've never been inside. It used to supply water from a well to the residents in the area; now each has there own well, as do I. It hasn't been open in at least 60 years. I have no idea, other than a well, what is inside this structure or how deep/large it is inside, underground.

My property is at the end of a half mile dead end road that has no outlet except the far side. Basically, it's kind of a remote place to "leave" someone. There is a cemetary that's fairly old around a half mile away, as the crow flies.

Last edited:

Monolith

Enlightened

County records will have your plot maps for the area showing ownership and the divisions of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.