• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I3S-CU Brass Alloy in Matte and Polished finish

Berkshirehunter

Newly Enlightened
Doh. I've actually come to appreciate the spacing on the I3S EOS, M-H-L. So, I don't know. At least their sequential, and L is still last on both. :shrug:

Is the tint about the same? It's the same emitter(bulb?) I believe.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Mine are HML....loving it! For regular person MLH would be better but for ppl like us with a million eneloop aaa's...who cares. It's a backup to my backups backup.

Olightworld

Enlightened
We decided to go with the hml for the final production version due to most of our customers preferring the higher levels out of our smaller lights. It is just a matter of getting used to the sequencing for the light.

PKFan

Newly Enlightened
We decided to go with the hml for the final production version due to most of our customers preferring the higher levels out of our smaller lights. It is just a matter of getting used to the sequencing for the light.

Oh, I certainly appreciate the higher output from this little guy. Just not on the first twist. ;)

ronniepudding

Enlightened

The post from Olightworld on 2/3 stating L-M-H mode order occurred on the same day I got a newsletter from GoingGear stating the light was available, and the same day I ordered the light. It shipped from Georgia the next morning, so the final production version had to be complete and out the door from the factory long before that post.

I understand that some people like their lights to start on high, but I know very well that I'm not alone in preferring the opposite. My preference to start on low is not just an arbitrary thing, it's a practical need to preserve night vision and battery life. It's about being comfortable using my light in public places like movie theaters and restaurants without worrying that I'm going to accidentally blast someone with 180 lumens. And since this light is very, very bright on high, it is not suitable for those who have those valid, practical requirements and uses in mind.

In this context it's a bit ridiculous to state that it's a matter of "getting used to" the mode sequence. The problem here is not that I've gotten into a rut with my low-mode-first lights and need to expand my horizons ;)

The machining on this light is brilliant and the raw brass is beautiful. Unfortunately the UI design is pretty near useless to me, and so I've wasted time and money because of misinformation. I'm out of pocket for shipping cost in both directions because tomorrow I'm sending it back.

I don't mean to come across as harsh or rude, but I feel like I need to be clear about this because the quoted comment makes it sound like Olight isn't concerned with providing accurate product information to its customers. Speaking as someone who currently owns 5+ Olights (and as many Foursevens), I sincerely hope that's not the case.

Last edited:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Heck going gear told me the wrong sequence on instagram the other day, when they arrived I was very pleased they were wrong. Olight can't make everyone happy. I hate the Olight side button crap on the S1 for example, s10,15,20 ect.. But tons of people do..(edited..like the side button) I finally get a win with the i3s-cu. Thankyou olight!

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Heck going gear told me the wrong sequence on instagram the other day, when they arrived I was very pleased they were wrong. Olight can't make everyone happy.

I am sincerely glad that this light works for you; I am in no way bitter that all of Olight's products aren't built to my taste. My point above is that Olight (and its partners) should try a little harder to publish accurate specs and descriptions, to enable us to figure out which ones are and which ones aren't.

As of yesterday, GoingGear had this light listed as XP-G2. According to Olight's web site, it has a magnetic tail cap. Both Olight and GoingGear misrepresented the mode order to you and I and others ...

PKFan

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Pudding has captured my sentiments exactly. Although I'm not sure I'd place too much blame on GoingGear, as they probably only know what Olight has told them. And the missing magnetic tail cap, too! Not that that would have been a deal breaker (unlike, say, H-M-L). Not sure if I'm returning mine yet, depending on the hassle to do so.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I do like H-M-L on a keychain light. I certainly would not like it in an edc. When I use the keychain light I am usually walking up to my door in the woods in pitch dark. Having just gotten out of my car my vision is not adapted to pitch dark. What I usually do is twist on then allow the light to hang on its own. I have a briefcase in one hand and keys in the other and sometimes food as well. Bottom line is I need enough light so even if pointed straight down I can recognize my door key and find the lock in the door. When I have a free hand I pocket carry a better light that when directed at door produces ample light on low. With keychain light bouncing about (if both hands are full and it is hanging from carabiner ) low won't cut it. For years I looked for a light like this one however I recently purchased a single mode eos that is smaller and lighter and puts out 120 lumens so this light comes too late! Maybe a cheap one will appear in mall and I will try it. I think my single mode model does the trick so I don't know. Sorry most of you guys are disappointed. You certainly should have been warned of ui in advance of purchasing.

Olightworld

Enlightened
I do apologize for the misinformation. We typically get several different answers on a light before it actually comes out from our factory. We test every programming imaginable before the production version comes out to make sure that we do it the right way. This is definitely not the typical case.

The post from Olightworld on 2/3 stating L-M-H mode order occurred on the same day I got a newsletter from GoingGear stating the light was available, and the same day I ordered the light. It shipped from Georgia the next morning, so the final production version had to be complete and out the door from the factory long before that post.

I understand that some people like their lights to start on high, but I know very well that I'm not alone in preferring the opposite. My preference to start on low is not just an arbitrary thing, it's a practical need to preserve night vision and battery life. It's about being comfortable using my light in public places like movie theaters and restaurants without worrying that I'm going to accidentally blast someone with 180 lumens. And since this light is very, very bright on high, it is not suitable for those who have those valid, practical requirements and uses in mind.

In this context it's a bit ridiculous to state that it's a matter of "getting used to" the mode sequence. The problem here is not that I've gotten into a rut with my low-mode-first lights and need to expand my horizons ;)

The machining on this light is brilliant and the raw brass is beautiful. Unfortunately the UI design is pretty near useless to me, and so I've wasted time and money because of misinformation. I'm out of pocket for shipping cost in both directions because tomorrow I'm sending it back.

I don't mean to come across as harsh or rude, but I feel like I need to be clear about this because the quoted comment makes it sound like Olight isn't concerned with providing accurate product information to its customers. Speaking as someone who currently owns 5+ Olights (and as many Foursevens), I sincerely hope that's not the case.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Here in the UK, products must be "as described", among other things.

If someone in the UK had bought this light from a UK dealer on the basis that the mode sequence would be L-M-H, they would have a statutory right to return the light for a full refund, including the price paid for the light itself and shipping costs in both directions.

In other words, the customer would get their original payment back in full and they'd get an extra payment on top to cover the cost of shipping the light back to the dealer. The dealer would end up paying for shipping the light twice, with no sale to show for it.

Imagine what a UK dealer would be saying to Olight about this.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I am sincerely glad that this light works for you; I am in no way bitter that all of Olight's products aren't built to my taste. My point above is that Olight (and its partners) should try a little harder to publish accurate specs and descriptions, to enable us to figure out which ones are and which ones aren't.

As of yesterday, GoingGear had this light listed as XP-G2. According to Olight's web site, it has a magnetic tail cap. Both Olight and GoingGear misrepresented the mode order to you and I and others ...

No you are right, I would be dam unhappy if it had a side button for example. I now see your gripes completely. I think I was blinded by a light finally cutom made to my exact tates.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I do apologize for the misinformation. We typically get several different answers on a light before it actually comes out from our factory. We test every programming imaginable before the production version comes out to make sure that we do it the right way. This is definitely not the typical case.

Apology accepted, and I agree this is atypical. Olight has been releasing (and I presume selling) a lot of lights over the past few months, including the home run S1. But ever since it was first announced in the fall, this i3s-cu has been at the top of my list because 1) I don't yet have any brass lights, and 2) the regular i3s is so good.

Ah, well -- perhaps there will be another special edition i3s in the future that will be right up my alley. I have to say that a i3s-cu with a Nichia 219B would be fantastic. How many units would we need to do a group buy for a special run of those? :)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I read through this. I was about to order one in matte finish. H-M-L kills it for me, I don't want to be blinded when I turn it on.:duh2:
maybe they'll do an actual copper run...

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I read through this. I was about to order one in matte finish. H-M-L kills it for me, I don't want to be blinded when I turn it on.:duh2:
+1

Wow. I am also glad that I read through this thread to the end. I was ready to buy the light based on the appearance, performance and L, M, H mode sequence. When I read that the mode sequence was actually H, M, L, that was a deal killer for me.

Maybe Olight can do a run of L, M, H brass lights for those of us that won't tolerate a keychain light that starts on high? I would buy one now if it were available.