Identification help

BenCarlson

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am new and this is my first post. I've been lurking for a couple months but, I am still mostly clueless. On to my question...

I picked up a chinese LED work light advertised at 3800 lumens. I don't think it is anywhere near that and will hopefully be comparing it with a comparable US vendor light this weekend.

I pulled it apart to take a look at it. Any chance you guys can tell by looking at the pic below what I am working with? I asked the vendor but he will not share details. It has 17 LEDs and 2 drivers. I am thinking about swapping the LEDs and drivers for something that will give me a better output, but regardless I am curious what I am starting with. The driver boards are labeled LD-512A. There are no markings on the LEDs. Specs say they are 3watt.

I know its a long shot but I figured it can't hurt to see if someone has an idea what they are.

IMAG0187.jpg

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
strange numbers. 17 LEDs driven by 2 drivers, what is this, series parallel with one added on somewhere?

Anyways, at first I thought they looked kind of like edixeon series LEDs, but true edixeon appears to have gold colored leads.

That's a pretty generic design, as far as LEDs go.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Look like generic 3w LEDs often found on ebay and various importer websites.

Drivers probably run in parallel to a string of series LEDs. In case one burns out, you still have 1/2 power(if you're lucky).

What is the voltage range of this light? the PN? advertised wattage? And, the driver chips PN's are???

BenCarlson

Newly Enlightened
Look like generic 3w LEDs often found on ebay and various importer websites.

Drivers probably run in parallel to a string of series LEDs. In case one burns out, you still have 1/2 power(if you're lucky).

What is the voltage range of this light? the PN? advertised wattage? And, the driver chips PN's are???

Drivers are labeled LD-512A.

9-30 volt range

43 watts

Thanks for the help!

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Thats the circuit board. Read off the PN's on the chips used on that circuit board.
Or post a pic zoomed straight in on the driver from the top. Might even be able to see the LED power traces to see how they are wired.

I was expecting 3x17=51w of LED and maybe another 10% eaten in the driver. I'd believe 3800lm if the power consumed was ~55w.

I wonder if they are claiming 3800lm LED lumen, and not OTF(out the front) lumen?

Is 43w the total power used by the light, or just the LEDs? Driver uses more or takes some of the 43w available?

There are 17LEDs, about 2.3-2.53w per LED depending on driver losses. 224lm/LED makes you wonder.

Connect it to a battery and measure the total power consumed with a multimeter, and the voltage of some of the individual LEDs.

Replace 1 LED with an XPG, Rebel, P4, 119, XML, ... and compare its output to the rest. Should be interesting to see how close a generic LED is to a name-branded one.