If you could only have one flashlight...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: If you had to choose one flashlight for the rest of your life

COuld I have an assortment of drop ins at least?

:D

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just one light :ohgeez:

[FONT=&quot]I would commit suicide[/FONT] :eek:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I were forced to have only one flashlight I would definitely go with function over form. But being a member of this site has helped me appreciate both form and function.

Still I would want a light with a widely available battery, a rugged design and lightweight enough to carry EDC style. It would likely be either a SC51w (or SC52w - 3 months on low ekka!) or a HDS.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek Predator XPG2 R5. I think it's the best overall. Pocket size, throws, lots of low modes, and lots of disco modes. Can take many different 16 to 18mm diameter batteries. I still can't think of anything I would change about the light if I could.

H-Man

Enlightened
Solarforce host and a dropin.
I can continue to change cells, bodys, heads, switches, tailcaps, battery configurations, emitters, and yet it would still be H-Man's light, just like how the human body has cells constantly being replaced yet is the same body.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens Quark X AA2

-small enough to EDC
-versatile output: moonlight to max and very well spaced out
-readily available AA cells
-not the ideal tactical light but can also work as such
-enough output to illuminate the entire room in a power outage
-moonlight runs for 15 days in a survival situation
-enough output as a bicycle lamp
-lightweight enough to mount on a helmet
-runtime is sufficient for nearly all applications

david57strat

Enlightened
If you could only have one flashlight for use with everything you typically use a flashlight for, which would it be? Stock or modified is ok. And why do you choose that particular light?

I wouldn't have a clue which light to choose, to be my all-encompassing flashlight. I carry five different EDC lights at all times. It would be an impossible choice.

Could I narrow it down to maybe just three lights (lol)? All the lights I carry, have different strengths. I have yet to find one that suits all my needs/wants. I'm not even sure one even exists.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA X. This light is now called the Quark QPA. I put a neutral XML head on mine (the beam looks awesome,) and I run it on a 14500 for 300-400 lumens (58 min runtime on max on this battery and 2 hrs on high...nice.) It will run on a standard AA battery as well. It has moonlight mode, low, med, hi, & max, plus blinky modes. Among the smallest, compact, & lightweight lights in its class (with a clicky switch.) Legos with the other quark body sizes, heads, & switches. Runs on all battery types - alkaline, NiMh, lithium primary, and Li-ion rechargeable.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Armytek Predator XPG2 R5. I think it's the best overall. Pocket size, throws, lots of low modes, and lots of disco modes. Can take many different 16 to 18mm diameter batteries. I still can't think of anything I would change about the light if I could.

+1
I was gonna vote or this too. Best all-around with 120-day runtime on a very usable 0.1lumen firefly mode to a kick @ss thrower at 558lumens. The xpg2 also has a very white tint! No blues, greens and purply colors. And it's uber-programmable. I love this light!

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
One Only

Kind of like you are going to heaven and can take exactly one earthly flashight with you?
I'm going with an Olight SR95.
May as well go with some serious fire-power.
No, I do not own one now, yet,.....
lovecpf

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I posted in one of these threads. Did not see my post.

The only useful light is the one you have on you. When you need light. Which means it should be one of your current EDCs.

I know a CPF member in town that always carry a backpack with him. With a 3D Mag inside. That would be his one light.

My EDCs are:
Loose in my pocket - Quark MiNi AA. 3 level 3-25-90 lumens 60-18-1.3 hours.
On my primary keychain - UK 2AAA eLED. 3 lumens 20 hours.
On my backup keychain - Millermodded Arc AAA 2 mode. ~10-50 lumens 15-3 hours.
For a one only light I would probably swap the Quark MiNi AA on to my backup keychain. Last all night at a very useful 25 lumens. Should I be looking at extended blackouts (NY,NJ after hurricane Sandy) I would grit my teeth and stay with low.

My 3C SSC-P7 Mag will NOT be my one light.
It is too big. Won't fit in my pocket. I do not carry a backpack.
It does not have enough runtime. 1 hour is not enough (direct drive single mode). Minimum runtime is 'last all night' for the one and only light. Uber brightness does not matter.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to go with my Fenix TK45. The flood is really nice for working on things and the brightness is adequate for pretty much everything. It's also not too big to carry in a backpack all the time, which is what I do.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight sc600. It illuminates everything in front of you, on top of you, to the side of you... .1-750+ lumens and with a runtime from 2hrs-80 days! All in a pocketable package

cordystoy

Newly Enlightened
It seems sad but I really like my Fenix TK20s ( I have 2), I have a bunch of brighter smaller ones for pocket stuff, a Streamlight sl20, Dereelight v3, a bunch of G2's with various drop ins, but I always seem to grab the TK20.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
HDS EDC Rotary 200 ...

If it was more efficient on moonlight mode then IMO it'd be a perfect light for this era in flashlight evolution.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm extremely happy with my HDS HCRI Rotary and I have noticed a distinct loss of desire to look at other flashlight specs ever since receiving the light.

However, if the durability is there then the Armytec V2 Predator might well be a contender for me in the Just One light category. It's certainly easier to actually get a hold of one, and between its throw range, programmability, firefly modes and battery type the light seems very well thought out.

Also, as wonderful and durable as the HDS is I don't like that I can't simply pop in a new switch boot without solving a mystery first. The Predator seems pretty maintenance friendly, pop in switch boot, swap reflectors, etc.

Last edited:

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
Have to go with the Armytek Predator V2.

- Great throw
- Nice beam
- Nice tint (r5/1c)
- Built like a tank
- Programmability
- Firefly modes
- Backup circuit
- Aesthetics (black accents)