I'm getting ready to begin a Mag623!

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
I completely plan to.

I love threads with lots of pics, so I try to supply lots of them in the threads I start. I have been a newb a ton of times with many different things, as I am now with the flashlights. I've always found that pics do help, sometimes much more than explanations...

Taboot

Enlightened
So if you want a stock 4D, you can only fit 4 long x tri config (12 cells)...unless you want to have me add a 13th 4/5 SubC that is also 1700mAh that fits in the tailcap (you can see pix of it on my battery packs thread 1st post).

Just to be clear, this is to say that you can put together a pack that makes 15.6V that will fit into a stock (not bored) 4D?

Thanks for your time. Crummy day here in CT, eh?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just to be clear, this is to say that you can put together a pack that makes 15.6V that will fit into a stock (not bored) 4D?

Thanks for your time. Crummy day here in CT, eh?

Although tonight is one of those "thick as pea soup fog" nights that is a flashaholic's dream, while dancing with the foghorn here on the coast. :party:

Fits in stock 4D

Taboot

Enlightened
Although tonight is one of those "thick as pea soup fog" nights that is a flashaholic's dream, while dancing with the foghorn here on the coast. :party:

Fits in stock 4D

PERFECT! I'll take one. I'll post it over on your Custom Battery Pack thread. Hey, if you are nearby, perhaps I could save the shipping... Just a thought. If not, that's OK.. I live in Montville, work in Old Saybrook..

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened

Fits in stock 4D

That's exactly what I had in mind. I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row, I'll hopefully get this rolling very soon.

I am going to start a WTB thread in the marketplace seeing if anybody has a mag D-incan driver, reflector, and boro lens that I can buy. Any money that I can save is great for me. If anybody who reads this wants to sell me any of these items, just pm me or post here.

Taboot

Enlightened
That's exactly what I had in mind. I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row, I'll hopefully get this rolling very soon.

I am going to start a WTB thread in the marketplace seeing if anybody has a mag D-incan driver, reflector, and boro lens that I can buy. Any money that I can save is great for me. If anybody who reads this wants to sell me any of these items, just pm me or post here.

I hear you on the cost. I'm in for around $250 already and no charger yet. Fortunately, I'm getting a great refund this year and I had a Home Depot gift card, which bought me the 4D host (Grey) and some de-anodizing equipment. I found a good set of grinding stone things that fit in a drill. Worked great.

Good luck,

Taboot

Empyfree

Enlightened
Nobody's really commented on the OP's question about reflectors yet. I have a 623 setup with one of FM's 2.5" megareflectorthingys. I thing you're right about the beam quality not being perfect, but unless you plan on using this to illuminate perfectly flat white walls :sleepy: then go for smooth and go for throw! :rock:

I applaud your choice of a welded battery pack, I have a decent quadbore battery holder in my set up and sometimes struggle to get a good connection between cells.

:welcome:

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input on the reflector! What you said was the direction I was thinking would be best.

Taboot

Enlightened
Well, I built one. And HOLY COW it is bright. Just go ahead and build it Phat. No matter the cost, you won't regret it. I used the following:

4D - MagLED host. I liked the grey color.
BulbConnection for the 64623 100 W 12V bulb. Its a tight fit in the AW driver, you will need to apply some force to press it in. Wipe it off after it's in.
Lux Luthor's Stock 4D 15.6V pack - Awesome. Built better than you will imagine.
AW D Incan driver w/SS and multi level. The UI is simple. Installation is cake. Perfectly built. Remember to back out the setscrew before trying to install.
FiveMega 12.7 reflector dual (cam or no cam) and Boro lens. Great and quick shipping.
I used a grinding bit for a cordless drill to de-anodize the tailcap.
AW ships extra stand-offs for different bulb height. I think I will use the shorter one for the 64623 as I had to unscrew the head quite a bit to focus it to my liking.

These guys (Lux, AW and FM) are to be commended for their efforts. They have made it pretty much a snap-together project to build a ridiculously bright M*g mod.

I'll try to do some pictures this weekend. I have kids, so no promises.

Good luck,

Mike

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
What about battery chargers? I can't imagine paying $150 for something to recharge the Lux 15.6v Battery pack. There's gotta be a more economical way.

Taboot

Enlightened
What about battery chargers? I can't imagine paying $150 for something to recharge the Lux 15.6v Battery pack. There's gotta be a more economical way.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=836

$24.99

What the whole shebang cost me:
4D Host - $35 (because I got a MagLED)
AW Driver - $81 shipped
Lux 15.6V Pack - $78 shipped
FM Reflector - $30
FM Boro lens - $5.50
BulbConnection 64623 - $3.75 (I bought 4 - so $16 +shipping)
Charger - $25 + shipping
Grinding tool (deanodizing tailcap) - $7.00 - Home Depot

It's not cheap. But in the end, it's not the kind of thing you would want to cheap out on, I think. When you have this much electrical energy in a small conductive tube, it's reassuring that I know I bought good stuff from good suppliers.

Phatcenter, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread. I was motivated by your OP and the info you had compiled. I'm just trying to add to it here.

The light is SO dang bright. In a dark room, when you turn it on, it's like turning on several regular bright ceiling lights. The light looks really white to me. It literally lights up my ENTIRE back yard. Ton of flood. The ground in front of me and the tree tops are all lit up. It's awesome.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup i am also building Mag623 and still waiting for Lux's battery pack and the bulbs...cant wait to turn it on!

Loup

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm also looking at building a Mag623. Is it possible to build it in a 2D host? I already have A Mag 2D, boro lens and aluminium reflector from a ROP and am trying to keep costs down as low as possible. I was looking at the "Elite 1500mAh 2/3A cells 15.6V (13 cells)" pack made by LuxLuthor. Would this be ok to power up the bulb?

Thanks

Taboot

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm also looking at building a Mag623. Is it possible to build it in a 2D host? I already have A Mag 2D, boro lens and aluminium reflector from a ROP and am trying to keep costs down as low as possible. I was looking at the "Elite 1500mAh 2/3A cells 15.6V (13 cells)" pack made by LuxLuthor. Would this be ok to power up the bulb?

Thanks

Confirm with Lux, but I think you could use either the 14.4 V or 15.6 V Elite 1500mAh packs to power a 623 in a 2D host. However, you would need to have it tribored to fit either of these packs in the 2D.

This guy will either sell you a host or bore yours:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156080

Looks like $55 if he supplies, $35 if you supply the host.

Good luck & enjoy.

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to order everything this coming week. I'm glad you posted the battery charger, I have been looking around at chargers and was wondering what you were going to use...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have a link to those cheap universal NiMH chargers which work fine for these packs in my battery pack thread. It is good to let the pack rest for a couple hours with the 15.6V packs to avoid flashing the 64623.

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
M*g623 Guidance

**I realize there a few threads on this floating around, but I'm mildly dyslexic, so please forgive me for starting another. Following multiple threads was proving difficult for me.**

On to business:

I have been trolling the forums here for a while, and decided to register a couple of weeks ago to buy some of FiveMega's stuff for my first M*g mod--a Mag85. Needless to say, I had a blast with this simple mod, and I fear I'm becoming a full-blown Flashlight nutbag.

So, I've decided to step it up a bit and take on a Mag623. I think I've gathered the information I need from the other threads, but I would like some feedback, suggestions, opinions. Here is what I have gathered:
  1. I have selected a Pewter tri-bore 2D mag host from here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=156080
  2. I have selected a Gun-metal Gray TypeIII from here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174247
  3. I have selected a ceramic D socket from here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171607
  4. I have selected an Osram 64623 HLX replacement bulb from here: http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/132/oc/64623 HLX/item.html
  5. I have selected a 13 2/3A Elite 1500mAh 15.6V pack from here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176185
Now to the fun part--feedback. Any suggestions, alternatives, advice, etc. before I order? What advantages (other than slow-burn and multi-mode) does a switch replacement offer? ex.-https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177316
Am I missing anything in construction parts? Are there any nifty "what I learned from building a Mag623" tips?

Thanks in advance for humoring me.:thanks:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: M*g623 Guidance

Looks like you got all the bases covered....but recognize the HA head color does not match the pewter mag.

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
Re: M*g623 Guidance

I wondered about that in passing. I'll probably re-sand and re-paint, but I guess if I'm going to do that, I should at least get matching parts from the start. :laughing:

Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:

Latest posts