I'm looking for a multi-tool

lightinsky

Enlightened
Get the SOG powerlock with v seatbelt cutter and call it a day. The other companies are good too but I've had the leathermans, gerbers, swiss and the SOG beat them in cutting and crimping hands down. Just m2cents.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a bigger pocket and budget, you may want to consider this?

giantswiss.jpg

:whistle:

GreatDane

Newly Enlightened
Get the SOG powerlock with v seatbelt cutter and call it a day. The other companies are good too but I've had the leathermans, gerbers, swiss and the SOG beat them in cutting and crimping hands down. Just m2cents.

I joined the forum (instead of just lurking) just to give this a +1!

sappyg

Enlightened
The only problem with the Victorinox Spirit is that it weighs a ton. It will pull your pants down unless you really cinch your belt super tight.

the spirit is definately heavier that the skelitool. it weighs more. it does more.
i like the skelitool but there is not enough to it really be completely useful as an MT IMHO.

aerotive

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. After spending some time in "flashlight department" i've started to thinking about getting some nice pocket multi-tool. But i have ZERO experience with this kind of gadgetry so i would need a bit of a help here.

firts of all, my budget would be around 80-100$ max. It must be easy-to- carry in a pocket and it has to have essential parts(sharp and durable knife, tongs, screwdriver,...), saw would be a nice addition since this tool would be used on mostly camping and hiking in woody areas. And very important: It must be left-handed friendly!

I only know brands like Leatherman and Gerber and i prefer knives made in Europe or USA. But that doesn't mean i'm oriented only towards these two brands.

*i'm searching for something similar to leatherman freestyle, but this model doesn't have a saw...

Thanks for help and replies.

I've just had a good experience with Victorinox. I have one their little USB drive/multitool gadgets, and I broke the knife while doing a bit of auto repair. It was right on the line between legit use and abuse. Anyway, I sent the knife in to them for warranty repair, expecting for it to disappear into the ether, never to return, or to get a hefty repair bill that'd be more than the cost of a new one.

They ended up sending me a completely new one gratis, along with a bonus ditty bag. Given the way most companies operate these days I was pleasantly surprised by how they treated me. It did take about a 1.5 months for the repair to go through, but even with that I'm very happy with them.

kwkarth

Enlightened
the spirit is definately heavier that the skelitool. it weighs more. it does more.
i like the skelitool but there is not enough to it really be completely useful as an MT IMHO.

I agree, for me it's right on the ragged edge of being a viable multi-tool, but with interchangeable screwdriver bits, a CM154 blade, a very sturdy needle nose pliers, wire cutter, wire stripper, bottle opener, and carabiner, it's surprisingly useful and well equipped for such a small and light weight tool.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like all sorts of multitools, plier based and knife based. However, my choice for "outdoors things" is the Victorinox Farmer, which has the bare essentials. If pliers is a must have, you'll end up adding a lot of extra weight to the tool... but a Swisstool Spirit is an excellent choice.

For urban EDC I like the Skeletool a lot. It is not exactly ergonomic but its convenience and minimalism makes it worthwhile to me.

kwkarth

Enlightened
Or maybe the russian version?

russian-knife.jpg

Personally i edc a new Leatherman Wave since a couple of years, but i'm thinking about swapping to a Crunch...

I didn't know that Vodka came in corked bottles!!!

The crunch is a cool tool, I love mine, but for EDC, I still prefer the lightness and compactness of the skeletool CX

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
:) Hi people, any m.t. will rust if not looked after. stainless meens stain-less, as in stain less than carbon steel.there is maybe h1 by spyderco that is rust proof. I have lots of multi tools and look after them but used in a harsh enviroment they only need a little t.l.c. [ oil & cleen].I e.d.c. my juice xe6 lately and dont find it too heavy to carry around,does everything asked of it and comes back for more. some smaller model juices have enough tools to get you by without being bulky.The leatherman diamond coated files are one of the best multitool additions to any of them. in America I know you can buy them at a good price,They are quite pricey down here in the land of skippy. Just my 2cents worth.:wave:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Stick to anything by Gerber, Leatherman, or if you are so inclined, swiss army. They are the quality leaders in multi tools.

I have had my First gerber for 8 years and its still look and works as good as the day I bough her.

DArklite

Enlightened
Just now noticed this thread. While far from being a lightweight, I've used my Gerber ProScout 600 since... forever. Well it seems like it anyway. Eons. It still works like new and it's been through hell and back. I'm on my second belt pouch for it.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i was a really big gerber fan, ive had about 5 various models, but they new stuff they are putting out is cheap quality junk, i bought a leatherman charge xTi, to replace my last gerber, and its nice but Victorinox or SOG is much nicer and better thought out, ill be buying SOG pocket powerplier, its smaller than the charge, but has everytihng i need, and is lefty friendly, im a lefty to...

irlmarko

Newly Enlightened
I have a Leatherman Core as a work carry tool. It's one of their bigger tools and it may be a tad big in the hands unless you have large(r) hands. It's heavy too, you won't forget it's on your belt.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I would go one of two ways , either a Vic. Spirit , or a Freestyle CX paired up with the SAK of your choice . The selling points of the Vic. is the quality of the implements and the F/F .

Chris

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
The crunch is a cool tool, I love mine, but for EDC, I still prefer the lightness and compactness of the skeletool CX

Got the crunch since a couple of weeks now and edc it at work always and it's so much better than the wave in my opinion. it's really useful when you just fix something with the pliers and can work with both hands. not possible with the wave or any other normal multitool.

Patriot

Flashaholic