Improved Raw Kit

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
any chance that HA III would be offered?
We will be sending some bare Raw's away for HA sampling. Not sure on time frame??

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes thanks, I have just had a look. We are sending samples to our local anodizer soon. I have had a head ache with anodising in the past so not that keen on reliving the experience. I also think that bare aluminium is the best colour for aluminium :thinking:
Regardless we will try some samples.
BTW the Reason I do the Raw Ns & Ti's is for the user who requires a harder wearing product with out the need for other finishing methods.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Yes, received all my clips (two each, in three sizes) but still waiting for arrival of my Raw NS...:popcorn:

TENMMIKE said:
all http://www.berkeleypoint.com/index.html stuff is the top of the line but you'll pay for it , they are fast shippers and like i said if they sell it , it the best that can be got. their little clips are superb like these in orbs pic
14250-NRec.jpg

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Is there any chance of asking for an upgrade to a "U" bin for the appropriate consideration? (I am right in thinking that all the current run are "T" bin as standard, aren't I?)

Don

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That statement about the PRCR2 giving 20 minutes on high before cutoff...does that refer to the 1w version? I haven't been keeping up (well, just a little) on all the RAW biz, but the last I remember, we were gettin' 12 minutes per charge. Have the numbers changed now that protected cells are available?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
D MacAlpine said:
Is there any chance of asking for an upgrade to a "U" bin for the appropriate consideration? (I am right in thinking that all the current run are "T" bin as standard, aren't I?)

Don
Yes we can offer UWOJ or UXOJ thanks to Photonfantic for £6 extra.
Or as you say the TWAJ as standard.

Trashman: The PRCR2's arw 350 MaH & do give 20 mins before cut of on high.
7-8 hours on Low.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
orb said:
Or as you say the TWAJ as standard.

Trashman: The PRCR2's arw 350 MaH & do give 20 mins before cut of on high.
7-8 hours on Low.

Damn! Now I've got to have one, how do I order the upgrade?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
D MacAlpine said:
Damn! Now I've got to have one, how do I order the upgrade?
You can order via the web site, & pay £6 for a Tritium vial to cover the cost of the U bin upgrade. If you send an email to state this as well you will get the U bin upgrade.

Bright

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

A few questions re UWOJ/UXOJ verses the standard TWAJ:

I understand that U bin gives greater brightness (~100 lumens), but what is the effect of U bin on:

run time?

operating temperature?

Apart from brightnesss, how do the UWOJ & UXOJ differ from the TWAJ?

TIA,

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bright,

Welcome to the world of Luxeon bin codes!

Have a look at this for a full explanation, http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/index.htm

Since both are ***J luxeons the power consumption/runtime and operating temperature should be the same, the U bin is more efficient at producing light.

The middle two letters are the tint and that's a whole world of personal preference.... (for what it's worth X0 & W0 are apparently the whitest tints available, with WA being a "warm white").

Hope that helps, have fun reading through the dozens of threads on the subject.

Don

lightrod

Enlightened
orb said:
QUOTE]

Rob -

Can the U bins also be put into the Raw Ns? (I just got two!)
Could you sell the LED part of the light assembly as a drop-in replacement, and if so how much?

Thanks!

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many Raw Orb Threads so little Time :ohgeez: again.
So long as we can get hold of U bins with good colour tint & low ish VF then Yes.
We have UWOJ & UXOJ From Photonfanatic :)thanks:)
We charge £6 extra for a U bin of choice on the Raw & Raw Ns.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I ordered a Raw Orb on the 4th of July. Based on some of the posts I've read, I was expecting it to arrive to 10 to 14 days. But it is here today - only six days since the order was placed. And it is great! What a treasure. What a joy to operate and admire - and I'm just talking about the plastic shipping tube :)

Rob, thanks for a superb product and service!

Orb1.jpg

OK, so why did I puchase a Raw Orb when the Orb NS garners more recommendation? The RCR2 cell has protection. It has greater capacity. If needed, I can always toss in a standard CR2 cell.

How bright is it? Plenty bright. Is it 77 lumens bright? Hmm, I can't really tell. It is definitely brighter than my HDS B42GTXR. And at first I thought it was whiter than the HDS, but I think now the increased brightness makes it seem whiter. Neither light has any tint. Just pure snow white.

Any regrets? Well, I learned too late what was needed to be done to get a U bin device. I guess I would have preferred it, but this T really rocks.

[Start Of Rant]
"Tritium? We don't got no tritium. We don't need no tritium. We don't got's to show you no stinkin' tritium!"
Really, what a gimmick. I can't imagine a true CPF'er needing tritium to find a flashlight. Doesn't everyone know where all 87 of their lights are every second of the day? I know I do. I just don't get it.
Tritium? Bah! Humbug!
[End Of Rant]

Rob, thanks again. Your product and service are second to none.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Rob,
Hope you had a good holiday.
A quickie - before I order a new top & bottom for my Raw, is it straightforward to swap the PCB / lens?
Cheers

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't sure about whether my first Orb should be a Ns or a Raw.

Rob made it an easy decision. I am getting a GREEN Raw!!!!:sold:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frank Maddix said:
Rob,
Hope you had a good holiday.
A quickie - before I order a new top & bottom for my Raw, is it straightforward to swap the PCB / lens?
Cheers
Hi Frank, Yes we had a great holiday :thanks:
Yes you can transfer the internal components into the new Raw Case.

Evolution of the Raw Series:
newraw2oldraws.jpg

sixraws2.jpg

lightrod

Enlightened
Rob - why is the head/twist section of the newer Raws longer than the old? (looks like the overall length is the same other than the added metal for machining the attachment slots)

HighLight

Enlightened
Rob,

Will purchasing just the top side (lens side) and attaching it to the old Raw bottom side work? By work I mean giving it the added turns to separate the two halves and also giving it room to add the thicker UCL?