Increasing earthquake activity

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are we talking about this activity is leading to a major quake, and or tsunami's to the coastal cities?

:tinfoil:

No. This activity has already lead to several major quakes and several tsunami warnings (especially last month). The fact is that the activity is increasing in frequency around the Ring of Fire. Many volcanoes have become active since the 8.2 magnitude April 1 Chile earthquake. We had 7 earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or higher last month alone. Several tsunami warnings accompanied these quakes though nothing produced was even remotely as bad as the tsunami from the 9.0 Japan quake. During the months of 2010-2011 (during the times of the 8.8 Chile quake and the 9.0 Japan quake), the most quakes we had per month of 7.0 and higher was 4. Last month was nearly double that with 7. For 6.0 to 6.9 quakes, in January, we had 6. In February, we had 8. In March, we had 16. In April, we had 18. In just the last 10 days, we have had 10 quakes 6.0-6.9 including the 6.0 in Mexico today. From 2010-2014, the most 6.0-6.9 quakes we've had in any given month was 23 in March 2010. This was the month before the 7.2 Baja California quake and the 7.8 Sumatra quake in April 2010 and the month after the 8.8 in Chile. We had a large 8.2 quake in Chile last month just like February 2010. Now we are seeing a large amount of 6.0 to 6.9 quakes just like March 2010. In April 2010, we had a 7.2 near Southern California and a 7.8 in Sumatra. We had a 7.2 in Mexico last month as well. I don't know what will happen, but the pattern is similar to the quakes of 2010-2011 and that caused a lot of big quakes including a 9.0.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that we just don't know enough about the complex interactions of the earth's crust plates and the molten mantle to be able to say what's going to happen next. We can look at previous earthquakes and make assumptions, but, they're educated guesses at best. All we really know is that earthquakes happen and areas that have had large earthquakes in the past will probably have large earthquakes again. If you live in one of these areas then you should be worried, but, you shouldn't look at recent earthquake activity and use that to get you to prepare for the next one: you should have been prepared years ago.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really interesting (and informative) thread, thanks!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we had a 6.8 in Panama today. We had a couple days with no quakes 6.0 or above and now this strong one today. 11 in 13 days is still well above average. We had a 5 off the coast of Oregon yesterday. It seems that the faultlines on the west coast of the U.S. are starting to wake up with more than just microquakes. We've had some threes and a four or two in California so far but nothing bigger than the 5+ last month in L.A.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't seen anyone mention a generator yet. Around here I could pick one up for as little as $100, and at least be able to keep my fridge running so the food doesn't spoil. Keep a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans around, and you have a few days worth of power to preserve your perishables.

Also, know how to disconnect/shut off your natural gas, electricity, and water supplies. In an earthquake your structure may be compromised and the last thing you want is for gas to be spewing everywhere, or have your house/apartment flooded by water due to a line break.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generators do help in the short run for blackouts caused by a large earthquake or other natural disaster. I just got my power back on from a couple hour blackout from the Santa Ana winds. Multiple small fires are popping up in San Diego County today. (I did not need a generator for this blackout.) The issue you have with a large earthquake or large fire is that it can destroy the infrastructure required to get gas for the backup generator. If a main road is damaged or a rockslide takes place, it could block the resupply of fuel for the gas stations. An earthquake can knock out the power which is required to run the gas station. If there is no power to the ATMs or banks, all you may have is a bit of cash for supplies such as food or fuel. We are too dependent on a just in time delivery system for all of our needs and few people have any backups. Any disaster that knocks out the power for more than a day or two can deprive you of water, food, refridgeration, air conditioning, indoor plumbing, money, lighting, transportation, communication, and the means for cooking, cleaning, and sanitation. Furthermore, if an earthquake causes a blackout, fires often are caused either by sparking downed power lines or people using candles carelessly. Once you have damage from a large earthquake, you could be homeless with all of the things you need being impossible to get, and possibly having to run from a fire, looters, or other problems that pop up. You can prepare for earthquakes. The problem comes when the option of a resupply becomes impossible due to an interruption in the transportation system or your preps are buried, burned, or destroyed in the initial disaster.

Here's some advice:
1. Keep a supply of non-perishable food and bottled water handy in case of any disaster. I'd suggest 2 weeks worth per person to get through most disasters.
2. Keep your car gassed up. Don't let it drop below half a tank on a regular basis. Disasters tend to happen when you're not prepared. Don't let yourself be stranded when something bad happens.
3. Have a source of fuel or power for a generator, flashlights, lanterns, and stoves and keep all these things easy to find before it gets dark.
4. Have a backup plan. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You can prepare for everything short of the end of the world, but if your house full of preps burns to the ground or gets eaten by a sink hole, you're screwed. Have somewhere else you can go if disaster strikes at home. You can call this a bug out location or Grandma's house. I don't care. Just have somewhere you can go that has what you need.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the update on earthquakes this month so far. We are up to 15 quakes between 6.0 and 6.9 in 15 days:
1. 5/1/14 New Caledonia 6.6
2. 5/2/14 Indonesia 6.0
3. 5/4/14 Fiji 6.6
4. 5/4/14 Fiji 6.1
5. 5/4/14 Japan 6.0
6. 5/5/14 Thailand 6.0
7. 5/6/14 West Chile Rise 6.1
8. 5/7/14 Papua New Guinea 6.1
9. 5/8/14 Mexico 6.4
10. 5/10/14 Mexico 6.0
11. 5/12/14 East Pacific Rise 6.5
12. 5/13/14 Panama 6.5
13. 5/14/14 Micronesia 6.1
14. 5/15/14 Micronesia 6.6
15. 5/15/14 Philipines 6.2

Three more and we'll match last month for the most 6-6.9 quakes this year, and we're only halfway through the month. The most 6.0-6.9 quakes in any given month within the last 10 years was in October 2009 which had 31. At this pace, we may get close to matching that for this month.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we might have a 6.0 in Guadelope today (as long as the USGS doesn't downgrade it to a 5). That would make 16 6.0-6.9 quakes in 16 days. Things are still pretty active. This one is not part of the Ring of Fire though.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was not a large earthquake, but given it's proximity to Los Angeles (and a lot of people), it is significant. Today, there was a 3.9 near Big Bear City. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...city-california-20140519-story.html?track=rss . This is almost large enough to stand out on this disaster map, but not quite (4+ magnitude quakes show up in color. Anything under 4 shows up in white.): http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php . Seems as though the fault lines around Los Angeles are still pretty active. I wonder if this will be the peak of the activity or if it is a foreshock for something bigger.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck Greece today (5/24/14). It's hard to find news reports on it so far, but it is recorded on the USGS website.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a 6.2 in Mexico today (May 31). That makes 19 6.0-6.9 quakes for the month unless we get more than one today.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a 6.0 earthquake just struck Red Dog Mine, Alaska. This was not in the main area of the recent earthquake swarm.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The nice thing about earthquakes is that they are localized, and you can build for them. With certain exceptions, the further you are from the epicenter the less damage is done.

I have lived near Silicon Valley most of my life. I live within 10 miles of two known faults. A magnitude 5 quake 10 miles away is felt, but causes no damage. Even a 6.9 right at the epicenter will cause little damage to a properly built house.

The scary part is that many of the seismic designs are not tested until there is a major quake. That is what happened to the elevated freeway in Oakland during the Loma Prieta quake. A 1955 design for concrete support columns was not tested until after the freeway collapsed. Since then, every freeway overpass that used similar designs has been reinforced.

All of this is just to say that I'd rather live in an earthquake zone as opposed to a tornado or hurricane zone.

Daniel