Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

carrot

Flashaholic
I just like 'em. They are useful tools, fun to play with, and many are extremely well engineered. What's so fascinating about flashlights?

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am and have been a huge knife knut! I buy and use custom knives only, or the most part. (I do buy CRK & Strider's.) I love using my custom knives, no matter how expensive they are. I know I CAN send them back to the maker for refurb. Ahhhhhh, the joy of using a custom knife!

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a knife since 13. Most important, if you use a knife for "self Defense" you are the one most likely to go to jail. Second,I'm not sure where your post is headed.I read it 4 times. If you are looking to buy a knife, go get a Swiss Army Knife. If you want to upgrade look at a Buck 110 or similar. There are lots of great knives out there, these two are good place to start.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Let me absolutely rule out using/wanting a knife as a weapon.

Although it will probably gives you all a good laugh, here is my "grand" collection of the "knives" I use to open boxes, envelopes, cut rope, strings, etc. I probably use the Walkers the most because it is small, easy to close, and sharpens easy.

The Rapala is for fileting fishing when I go out camping, otherwise stays in the drawer. Yes I use that Samarai Shark to sharpen all the ones in the middle, and all the kitchen cutlery because it's quick and gives a very sharp edge.

I got that Fenix knife free with some light I ordered a while back, but have not used it, as I suspect it is not of good quality. It feels too small in my hand. I'm not sure where my Swiss Army Knife is.

What would be a good pocket knife that I would enjoy having.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've carried a knife since 13. Most important, if you use a knife for "self Defense" you are the one most likely to go to jail. Second,I'm not sure where your post is headed.I read it 4 times. If you are looking to buy a knife, go get a Swiss Army Knife. If you want to upgrade look at a Buck 110 or similar. There are lots of great knives out there, these two are good place to start.

I'm really not crazy about my Swiss Army Knife, I always feel like I'm gonna break one of the blades/tools. The main blade is too thin, too rounded at the tip, dulls easily, and none of the tools ever seemed quite adequate for what I needed them for, and too hard to open most of them. I think I just figured out why I don't know where it is. LOL!

I looked at Amazon & a couple other sites for the Buck 110, and it looks nice, but if I only get 1 or 2 knives I think I would rather get one that is more than $35-40 price range just so I have something to appreciate in terms of craftsmanship.

I'm not jerking anyone's chain. I'm asking about these with sincerity. It is just an area that I never paid attention to, or took the time to learn about.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find that levels of craftsmanship and variety of knives as broad an area as those aspects related to lights Lux...and I'm sure you've already realized that fact. You may want to try A. G. Russell as a catalog source of some very find production knives and picking up a copy of Knives Illustrated or Knives magazine will give you some basic ideas of what may be out there.

No one knife can or will serve all cutting functions perfectly and personal preferences are many. While my EDC Swiss Army knife serves me for accomplishing most of my daily cutting tasks, it does dull easily in comparison to some of my other knives---but, it sharpens as quickly as anyone could hope with a few touch up swipes on my steel. Always a trade off. My field garb on hikes permits me to carry a sheath knife while the same carry choice in the office would draw undue attention, questioning of my stability and at worst, a visit from security.:eek:oo:

Karl

Fulgeo

Enlightened
I'm really not crazy about my Swiss Army Knife, I always feel like I'm gonna break one of the blades/tools. The main blade is too thin, too rounded at the tip, dulls easily, and none of the tools ever seemed quite adequate for what I needed them for, and too hard to open most of them. I think I just figured out why I don't know where it is. LOL!

I looked at Amazon & a couple other sites for the Buck 110, and it looks nice, but if I only get 1 or 2 knives I think I would rather get one that is more than $35-40 price range just so I have something to appreciate in terms of craftsmanship.

I'm not jerking anyone's chain. I'm asking about these with sincerity. It is just an area that I never paid attention to, or took the time to learn about.

The Buck 110 is an excellent knife LL. I would also suggest the Buck "Prince" series. The Prince has a 420HC blade that holds a better edge than 440. Also it has a Blade Length of 2.5". Most importantly its bolsters are SS or nickle silver. This is important because the Buck 110 has brass bolsters and well although brass is nice I do not like the smell brass gives off when it starts to oxidize. I think you can pick up a Price for just over $30. It is a small enough knife not to draw to much criticism form the boys in blue but has a large enough blade to get the job done. It is well constructed and "tight". I have one of them and was able to field dress a deer with it one season.

kwkarth

Enlightened

AGRussell is a good company selling great knives from many manufacturers. One of the manufacturers whose knives they sell that you might want to consider is Lone Wolf Knives. http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/home.shtml

All of their knives are designed and manufactured in the USA of good materials, are VERY well made, and VERY reasonably priced. You would be hard pressed to find a better value.

A few models you may want to consider:
4001859434_4270f8f468_o.jpg

"Blackfoot," CPM-S30V, plain edge, 3.00 in. blade, checkered Ebano scales, Best Value Knife of the Year - 2009 Winner @ $121.99 MSRP

4001860378_ecb2fd22d4_o.jpg

"Longhorn®", CPM-S30V, plain edge, 3.5 in. blade, checkered Ebano scales @ $139.99 MSRP

4001095349_17839a4344_o.jpg

"Paul® Presto" Burl-wood Folder, 2.4 in. blade, 400 Series high-carbon stainless steel, $149.99 MSRP

4001095525_110310ec6b_o.jpg

Paul® "Defender™", 154 CM, 3.9 in. blade, cocobolo scales, $219.99 MSRP - 2009 Overall Knife of the Year - Blade Show

4001912946_d82f4f5802_o.jpg

Lonewolf Designs – The "U.S.45" Rosewood folder, 440 C, 3.3 in blade, $99.99 MSRP

Limited Lifetime Warranty on all of the above.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I like the idea of a pointed blade, and that last one is a great looking model. I'm gonna order that one. Thanks guys very much for your expertise.

Oh one last thing....knowing nothing about sharpening....what is your advice regarding this knife?

LOL....one more thing...going to that link I'm immediately drawn to that Defender 154 knife of the year, even at twice the price. I don't know the benefits between the two on a practical basis.

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened
I like the idea of a pointed blade, and that last one is a great looking model. I'm gonna order that one. Thanks guys very much for your expertise.

Oh one last thing....knowing nothing about sharpening....what is your advice regarding this knife?

LOL....one more thing...going to that link I'm immediately drawn to that Defender 154 knife of the year, even at twice the price. I don't know the benefits between the two on a practical basis.

Both of the knives that you mentioned are excellent knives, but they are very different form one another in operation. The 45 represents a fairly conventional design, executed in top notch materials by top notch craftsmen here in the USA.

The Paul Defender is a very unique and revolutionary design, also executed in top notch materials by top notch craftsmen here in the USA.

See the Paul Pohlman instructional videos in the middle of the page below to understand how the Paul knives work.
http://lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products.shtml

You will easily get more than your money's worth in either knife.

" Paul holds over forty US and Foreign Utility Patents and numerous design patents. Over 20 of these Patents are for folding knife mechanisms. Besides being a great inventor, designer and product engineer, Paul is also an extremely talented custom knife maker."
The term "Legend" is used to describe many people in the knife industry but Paul W. Poehlmann is the genuine article. He is one of the few designers who is both a highly skilled custom knife maker and a mechanical design genius.

Paul W. Poehlmann has been interested in mechanical devices since he was a child. Paul followed this interest and trained to become a mechanical/design engineer. After graduating from university he worked on a broad variety of mechanical engineering projects. He designed tooling, production processes and products including harvesting machinery, bicycle components, aircraft escape system hardware, multi-purpose tools, two-position boat seats and a wine cork-extraction device plus many other interesting complications. With the experience he gained from this broad engineering background, he then moved into the aerospace industry. He worked for over 14 years as a mechanical design engineer designing many types of aircraft escape systems hardware. During this time period he held the positions of engineering manager, chief engineer and director of research and design.

Paul has always been interested in guns and knives. He likes their overall design with primary focus on the mechanisms involved. In 1974 Paul started to design folding knife mechanisms as he knew there was a better way to lock a folding knife blade open and closed than what he had seen. During this time period he designed, developed and patented the "Axial Locking Mechanism" for folding knives. This new lock design was revolutionary in that it is durable and safe, locking the blade in both the open and closed positions while also bolting the side plates and blade together. The Axial Lock is so precise in its fit and operation that people are amazed at how smoothly it snaps open and closed. Knives with the Axial Lock were truly some of the first one-handed opening knives and launched a wave of product development efforts by major knife companies to achieve one-handed opening without violating Paul's patented designs. During this same time period Paul also built hand-made folding and fixed blade knives. These knives are extremely rare and are highly sought after by knife collectors from all over the world.

In 1976, Paul contracted with Gerber Legendary Blades® to have production Paul® Knives produced. Gerber produced Paul® Knives from 1977 to 1986. These knives were very popular with knife enthusiasts and collectors sought them desperately after Gerber stopped production in 1986. A second edition of the Paul® Knife was introduced in 1996 and was produced for two years. This new Series II, Model 2 Paul® Knife had some design improvements over the original models and it soon became very popular. In spite of this, Gerber discontinued production in 1997. The Series II, Model 2 Paul® Knife also became a collectable item as soon as it hit the market.

If I were to summarize what defines a "Paul" folding knife it would be:
1. They are invented, designed and engineered by one individual, Paul W. Poehlmann.
2. Each component of these knives is constructed from the finest materials as applicable to their use.
3. All components are manufactured within a very close band of tolerances to assure longevity and more precise operation than any other knife available.
4. All Paul Knives, handmade or factory produced, over the years have experienced an appreciable gain in value. A Paul knife is great to use, interesting and fun to collect and a further reward is that they are a very good investment that is continually appreciating.

Paul holds over forty US and Foreign Utility Patents and numerous design patents. Over 20 of these Patents are for folding knife mechanisms. Besides being a great inventor, designer and product engineer, Paul is also an extremely talented custom knife maker. He is as good with his hands as he is with his inventive mind and this shows in all that Paul touches. He and Joanne are gourmet cooks and great hosts if you are lucky enough to be invited to a meal in their home. They live on a beautiful island in British Columbia, Canada. When he is not designing new products they travel, hike, kayak and garden. He continues to be a driving force for environmental protection and throughout his life has coveted the physical and natural beauty of the world.

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened

Sharpeners, here's a good one for light touch up;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CQTLJM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=8

gollum

Enlightened
Variable, but usually within the 3" range, +/-0.5". Knife clips are about the same as flashlight clips, so I'm getting some wear near the pocket's edge.

Of course, if I'm carrying a small FB (thanks Gollum!) then clip wear isn't an issue at all.:D

thanks mate

I think the small fixed blade is the most overlooked edc

if its small enough to carry comfortably then it is a great option

RIMG0001.jpg

IMGP4201JPG.jpg

RIMG0719.jpg

RIMG0728.jpg

RIMG0677-1.jpg

RIMG0683.jpg

RIMG0074.jpg

or extreme fixed blade edc (joke)
RIMG0665.jpg

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, it's weird but I like to carry one to slice and peel fruit. I got a whole bunch of Macintosh apples last week that had really thick skin. It made me glad I carry my Spyderco Salt 1 around. Far as I'm concerned it's the ultimate edc I like that it is innocuous (rounded tip, 3in blade) its slim and light and has a great clip, plus virtually no maintenance with the H1 steel. I've been thinking of getting a knife with titanium handles for something a bit dressier lately. Carry what you like. I wouldn't really think to much about defensive use. That's a bit of a Hollywood cliche. Chances are if someone else is going to mug you with a knife theirs will already be out and open. If you ask me you're better off running if it's an option, rather than engaging in a "knife fight". Most places the law sees it that way too.:shrug:
Don't get me wrong I still have a few auto's I keep mainly for the fun/cool factor. But I typically don't carry them.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I ordered that LW-45 model from AG Russel, and the sharpener from Amazon. Thanks again!

LOL....and So It begins. :nana:

I used to collect knives....lots.....(99% folding pocket knives) before I started ( heavily) on flashlights :whistle: ....I still have some good ones...But I dont have the same hunger for them anymore....I was always hunting for the perfect EDC...I dont think I ever found it...yet, but I have come close.

I carry a knife with me almost everyday...( sometimes more than one) but that is not as crazy as it sounds. I'm no knife fighter, haven't ever been......despite being in fights, whilst having knives in my pockets, I never, Ever, even considerd using it...never even thought about it.

I carry because I need & use them; that & I think a gentlemen should have a small pocket knife about their person, & be skilled and able to use it.

We are in a prepacked society today, so a pocket knives are used less than they were, but I would be lost without one.

Living in the UK we are restricted by laws...but fairly sensible knife carry/ use if you ask me. there are still a few good choices to be had... I used to carry a locking folder as my work required it.

I tended to go towards the "harder use knives" as I would use them for tasks that knives shoulden't be used for...Why...because I'm not a purist, and there is something staisfying about completing a multitude of tasks with just a pocket knife, just today I used my pocket knife to fix 3 little niggly little problems on my car whilst it was getting a thourough cleaning, and I only used it to cut once.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get the no locking knives in England thing. I think that would potentially cause more injuries. I remember fixing some desks in art class in high school with an old Swiss army knife and darn near hacking my index finger off when I pressed down on the screwdriver blade. It bled like crazy, I've still got the scar and a little divot in my finger.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't any laws that prohibit defensive violence, but that violence must be reasonable under the circumstances. A knife would require realistic threat of serious injury to justify it's use.

Here are two real life San Diego examples of justified knife use:

A gang attacks a woman, presumably to rape her. She stabs one in the leg, and he bleeds to death, if I recall. The others run away. No prosecution.

A pair of robbers in a car pull up to an older man walking on the sidewalk and one gets out with a handgun, demanding money. The victim stabs the gunman and he drops his gun. The driver shoots at the victim but misses. The victim picks up the handgun and returns fire, killing the first robber. No prosecution.