Infared (LED) light to see veins in a patients arm...Yes, thats right...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL :)

Bit off topic but I normally use the camera for building inspections although recently ive been using it for varied applications. I rigged up a parallel charging cradle for some 18650's the other day and used my Thunder AC680 to charge them. All 3 batteries went in at the same voltage (3.7v) but noticed that during the CC phase one of the batteries showed a slight increase in temperature compared to the others. Wasnt noticable to the touch but the camera clearly shows it. Ive marked this one and will be keeping an eye on it during future charging session. All came off at 4.18v

Back to the thread - I'm no expert in the medical field but would have thought an effective way of detecting veins without laying hands on a patient would be thermal scanning. The deeper ones would be a little more challenging but any near the surface normally show very well. My camera is very sensitive < 25mk which enables me to pick up very minute changes in temperature. I've scanned many poeple for hand and leg issues and the camera is very revealing. IR cameras price range from approx £1200 - £35,000. Generally you get what you pay for. having said that, FLIR have recently release a new range of cameras that have very good sensitivity for a reasonable price.

Did you manage to see the image I posted ? I'm not able to see it so I thought there must be something wrong. This is the first image ive posted on this forum.

Regards
Karl.

Yep the image shows nicely, I'm a city maintenance carpenter and our department has a few heat vision cameras. Works great for finding leaks and gaps in insulation, I don't have the course to use it but they are an awesome and handy tool.
I wish I could afford a flir camera, but at 8-14 grand is a little much for my likes. Can also be used as the most expensive stud finder ever made :D LOL

okent

Newly Enlightened
I assume you are talking about this: http://www.tnvc.com/shop/battleview-infrared-vascular-trans-illuminator/
I
was at the SHOT show in January and got to handle one of these. Works very well for those who have to start IV's in total blackout conditions.
Of course you would have to have night vision on to make this work.

What I thought was way better was some high res thermal. I played with a imager that was so sensitive I could see the veins in my fingers.

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Yep the image shows nicely, I'm a city maintenance carpenter and our department has a few heat vision cameras. Works great for finding leaks and gaps in insulation, I don't have the course to use it but they are an awesome and handy tool.
I wish I could afford a flir camera, but at 8-14 grand is a little much for my likes. Can also be used as the most expensive stud finder ever made :D LOL

Yeah - helped me find this stud wall while I was trying to hang the mirror in the spare room. I know what you mean about the price - ouch ! If you just want to play and not worry too much about accuracy then there are plenty of alternative makes that can be bought for around £1000 ( not sure what that it is in dollars )

6966337359_15fee8603c_z.jpg

kzb

Newly Enlightened
There is definitely a flashlight on the market which emits at 660nm. It is marketed as some kind of health device, it did not say it was for finding blood vessels. The implication was that deep red light has some health benefit. But how niaive am I, because clearly that must be what it is really for...!

I know this because I found it via Google or Alta Vista when I was searching for red-LED flashlights. I will try and dig back through my (extensive) history to re-find it.

z17813

Newly Enlightened
This might be one of the nerdiest threads I have read on this forum. It's awesome.

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
@karl666 that's awesome, I can see the screws and nails too

Here are few more.

The hot area (shown in red) in this image under the window near the dish was confirmed as a wasp nest inside the cavity wall.

6967172387_5104f91667_z.jpg

The dark blue and purple areas in the image below shows missing insulation in the loft space above this bedroom ceiling

6967172053_0eec4b46e8_z.jpg

Last edited:

caelifera

Newly Enlightened
I am a RN and have stabbed a few folks over the years, so I just wanted to add my $0.02.

My hospital has a Vein Viewer, and it would probably make a better trotline weight than a medical device. It is huge, and in my usage, not capable of finding deeper veins which I can palpate.

Over time, you will develop the skills necessary to palpate and stick accurately. When nothing can be felt, I have used my 230 lumen EDC with more success than the Vein Viewer. In a dark room, the bright LED pressed against the skin will illuminate a vein enough on either side of the bezel so that you can mark it's location with a sharpie.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my red LED Surefire L1 for this purpose. I pushed it against the skin and moved about.

There is a subtle effect I might have not noticed if I was not looking, it can sort of produce a dark outline of a vein around the arm (elbow area, other side of course) and close to the wrist. Not too visible, but definitely there.

Mark down another use for this amazing red L1!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
I just re read the quote and what I'd written make no sense at all, I read aren't as are:oops:.
It's 6:30am here, maybe I need a coffee before I reply to any more threads.

Norm

eatkabab

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what kinda projector these vein finder things use? It looks like a laser projector but it must be so small to fit into that machine.

Also, I suspect that night vision cameras (security cameras) don't have IR filters given that they have IR LED arrays...so why doesn't night time video from a security camera show veins?

I know I'm probably fooling myself, but this thing looks pretty easy to make. If in fact all it takes is no IR filter over a CCD and a long pass filter, I think I can get one running from spare parts + chepo eBay goods.

Last edited:

Xplo

Newly Enlightened
Hey OP, I'm in a lab tech program and just finished a phleb rotation at a busy clinic with 400+ successful sticks. Didn't sit for the board (I'm not going for a phleb cert) but FWIW the clinic I did the rotation at would happily hire me, or so they said.

Vein viewers only sound like a good idea if you have no phleb experience. Once you get into actually doing it, you're going to find out that you use your fingers and your knowledge of anatomy to find veins most of the time, this also allows you to assess the condition of the veins (as someone said above, if you can't feel it, you probably shouldn't stick it). And then you're going to realize how clunky and useless those things really are.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
men's feet because there warm, my Wife's feet are
;)
I almost spilled my coffee over the screen
:crackup:

I do not think that this really makes sense, as - at least where I want to be "injected" - there should be bright enough room lights,
and with good white light sources the whole "seeing" should be way improved - imho of course, but I am no expert.
F.e. I am wondering how to put a needle somewhere while holding a light ...
:thinking:

unfortunately I dont have very deep red led just to test that "veins showing up", all the "normal" reds do the same - the same as my UV led(s) are doing --> show nothing at all.
Both ends of the spectrum are considerably worse than any white light.
Sure that this really works?
(unfortunately the lights linked here in this thread do not show a picture while being shined onto skin ...)

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Digging up an old thread to see if there are any good options now under $100. My wife is a medic and would like a light to help find veins (or arteries - not sure which). Generally not needed, but sometimes helpful. Her EDC can work, but heat is an issue. Been reading the at red LED in a specific range works best. Not really sure.

Any medics or other heath care professionals have a recommendation for something affordable and very portable?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m not a medic but First-Light USA (American company) has a Tomahawk MC (multi color) with secondary red, green, and red+green which performs really well where the red OR green falls short. Not sure if this is what you are after but I m currently working on some videos of these on YouTube. My channel is sdsteveb and soon may change but not at this time

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK Tomahawk MC has nothing to do with medical devices. i'm not sure how green and red together will be helpful, or would do something either green or red wont, sounds like a marketing pitch, nothing more, and i have build over few dozens of multicolored lights.

Latest posts