Inova T5

Bradlee

Enlightened
TorchMan said:
Hmm, mine does give me the blinking blue, it's a pain to get right lately, but once it's on correctly, it stays solid blue until going green to indicate full. I wonder why yours blinks after being solid?

Wow, I'd never even heard about the charging indicator turning green. The LED on my charger reliably turns blue when the light is inserted, then shuts off when the charge cycle is finished - no green or any other colour to be seen. I guess there have been some revisions to the charger?

ledled said:
What brand of LED does it uses? There is no 4 watt luxeon.

I seem to remember some discussion about a special overdriven 3 watt, or something like that. I could be wrong, though.

-Brad

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Bradlee,

Yes, they did update the charger. When I first got mine, I noticed everyone here indicated the light turned off when charged. Mine went green, and the manual states that it should do that as well. I feel the light just going out is not the best way, an indicator should do just that, indicate. There was a thread here a while back that had a link to a site selling the T4. In the display photo the indicator was red! Don't know if that was charged, charging or just a PhotoShop type job.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey PFmedic...
(hijacking the thread for just a moment)
They did revise the T4 charger so that it shows blue when charging and turns green when fully charged.

I was having a bit of trouble with charging my T4 as well (I also read and followed the instructions about how to seat it in the charger...boy did Mag do a better job of that with the magcharger).

Anyway I took some 99% isopropol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and carefully cleaned the contacts on the charger, the contacts on the light, and I also pulled the battery and carefully cleaned the springs inside and the contacts on both ends of the battery. BUT the real difference was when I took the alcohol and cleaned the end of the light where the tailcap meets the body (not the threads, the very end where the electrical contact is really made between tailcap and body). I got all of this lubricant off the end and the inside of the tailcap and suddenly my light is behaving just fine.

If I'm not being clear about what to clean let me know and I'll post a picture. Since you have trouble turning the light on this may be the other part of your issue as well.

(Now back to our origional broadcast)

I'd love to see a T5 though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy one as the T4 is perfect for my use (nightly walks). I have to agree that the T5 really does feel sort of "orphaned" like it doesn't -quite- fit in anywhere.

Last edited:

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
pfmedic, I had the same blinking blue light problem with my first T4. For whatever reason, the electrical connection was not being maintained throughout the charging cycle. I returned it to the dealer who replaced it on the spot. The replacement T4 has functioned flawlessly for the past several weeks. It gets used every day and, when it's not being used, it sits in the charging cradle with solid blue going to solid green every time. Just like SF I guess, you've simply got to get a good one.

Last edited:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Zespectre-

The most recent T4's have an led that does the following:

glows solid blue when charging
flashes blue when not properly seated
glows solid green when fully charged

Big Bob-

Even so, I think that I'd be more happy with the T5. In hindsight I always realize that the more complicated something is, the more that can go wrong. Plus I think the T5 is far more water resistant than the T4, all things considered. Plus, my cat likes cords. He doesnt care if it's my Inova cord or not. Luckily he never got at the inova cord or I wouldnt be able to return it. :laughing: