Interest in Mid Atlantic campout in VA?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, my, god. I had no idea you guys were that "close".

I hate to disappoint you guys, but the only led lights you will see there are the ones you bring. You may see some on the newer trucks on display, but thats it. I guess it cant hurt to be the first to make a steam powered led light. :)

What I like is seeing parents show their kids the animals. Most have never see a cow, sheep, pig up close before. I thought it was odd the cows kept 3 ft from you while the horses would rest their mouth on your shoulder.

Then you got them racing cement mixers. You havent lived til you see cement mixers race.

OBXTucker

Newly Enlightened
Of course, worse is to see suburbia move to beautiful Goochland. I grew up about a mile from the original Short Pump Country Store (it was slightly east of Pump & Broad). Amazing how much has changed. Even the cows are moving farther away (3 ft.!).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we bring friends? I know someone who would love to gear up and crawl around on theri belly and what not inside a real cave.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
I'm going to miss this by a couple weeks, I guess.

My daughter lives in Buena Vista, VA and will be having our first grandchild in the first week of November. I'll be traveling back to see them mid November, although my wife will be there for the birth.

Bill

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I haven't checked back in a while. I am out all next weekend and the 1st weekend in Oct. So it would have to be probably the 3rd weekend of Oct (21st). Who all is interested in that weekend?

I'll start making some reservations and plans around Oct 11th. So post between now and then if your interested.

Last edited:

TOB9595

Enlightened
I would hope to come for this as it sounds GREAT!!!

Plus I want to see Jim's tent again....
Tom

AnimalHousePA

Enlightened
Last weekend of the month would be best for me. I'm going to Florida the 2nd week of the month. Tom, I'm actually thinking about buying a Hennessey Hammock for my next outing. Of course before I go anywhere, I'll need to purchase a sleeping bag which is rated to the lower temps...:) If I had the money, I'd like to get a camper for my truck...

TOB9595

Enlightened
Get the Hammock :)
We need to hook up so you can lay down in it.
Maybe spend the night while I lounge in your MSR
Tom

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, thought I missed it. I am open on the weekends til the week before turkey day. I was going to drive down, meet you guys, take a look at your lights, maybe take a mini tour of a paved cave/cavern and come back home. Kind of make a day of it.

Let me know, [email protected] I have limited net access at my jobs, thats 13 hours a day and sleep.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, I'm back from camping in the finger lakes. One night it was 35deg :eek:
Hopefully it will be warmer in VA. We had a fullish moon this last weekend though so my lights didn't get used much. A week of bicycling and camping and all I used was a PT EOS headlamp and a HDS EDC B42. I did drain the set of NiMh batteries in the EOS (a first), one cell may have been weak or perhaps the cold did it in, I thought I charged them before I left.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Do we really only have one confirmed person camping and one day tripper? It will be cold camping out, which is fine by me, but may scare off others. I'm thinking about postponing/cancelling at this point. I will decide and post on Monday. I could do the following weekend.

Location has changed to Grand Caverns and nearby Natural Chimneys campground.
http://www.uvrpa.org/grandcaverns.htm
http://www.uvrpa.org/naturalchimneys.htm

PS The cave trip is a commercial cave. Paved, lighted and decorated for holloween.

Camping:
Cave Dave
Ras_Thavas
TOB9595 (possible)

Day trip:
cobb

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a street address? I am near exit 82 Chamberlayne Ave on I95. Looks like I would take 64 west til it hits 81, right? Whats that 2 hours?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like its not going to happen if I can't drum up more interest.

I updated the first post with revised details and a link to a not to scale map to the campground. I would say about 2 hrs from richmond.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I get that feeling too. I was unable to attend field day as I had some car issues, but did want to meet a cpfer and maybe see some of the other lights on the market. Seeing the mountains with my recovery of vision sounded like a great excuse one weekend in the fall to also see the leaves as they change.

Sorry if I seem a bit blond, but I got my license in May and am just not that familiar with getting around inside not to mention outside the city of Richmond. As long as I can get a map, I can figure it out.