Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the bare Ti Draco's ship before the plated ones since they don't need to be plated?

loalight

Enlightened
Yeah, I gotta say my Draco is a huge hit with me. It hangs around my neck now, which makes the first time a light has had that distinction.

CRAZY bright for such a small thing.

Luff

Enlightened
Beautiful. Shiny. Bright. USEFUL.
Extraordinary craftsmanship.
Well worth the wait, anticipation and outlay.
Thanks for creating & competently manufacturing the Draco!

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Jonathan -

This is the coolest light! I can't say enough good things about this little powerhouse. The fit and finish is outstanding - super quality!

My co-workers were stunned to see what something this small could output - the Draco has such nice output and throw, even without the Turbohead.

I will be ordering a second unit soon.

Thank you very much for this one!

Chris

Question: Is it possible for the settings to get out of order? I seem to have the settings go from high to user to burst. I don't mind, but it wasn't like that when I first used it. Also, I noticed that with long intervals in between power on (> 2 seconds) the FluPIC is still operating in sequence.

Last edited:

marcspar

Enlightened
My Draco has arrived and I couldn't be more pleased. It is far smaller than I envisioned and the could be from Tiffanys with the jewel'd chrome finish [I have the aluminum one].

The beam is perfect for an edc and the flupic is cool. You can just turn the light on and off - or get more involved with multiple levels and settings.

So far I am still on the original battery after playing/testing with all weekend.

It is not as bright as my usl that arrived the same day, but it fits in my pocket much more comfortably!

Thank you, Modamag, for a great little light at a very fair price.

Now I just have to decide whether to splurge on a titanium one or get another in the aluminum/chrome.

Marc

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fell a little behind this weekend. I anticipated to make the complete final batch but were only able to crank out like half that amount due to other distraction (Gun Show on Saturday and Wood Working Convention on Sunday). Another lame excuse is I ran out of Krytox grease :D
So here is the third and hopefully second to last shipment:
chasm22, Dfiorentino, Dogliness, DrJ, jhung, k-2, kiely23+, Leef, M_R, NetMage, Nuutaro, Roboholic, rscanady

They have been shipped to the following members:
darmawaa, dduane, Doc, JeffT, loalight, Luff, milkyspit, Rockwood, schiesz, Tronic, vag, Wong

Thanx all for the complement, it's really uplifting and making the endless hours of design, machining and D@#& assembly all the worth while.

Morelite: Unfortunately the engraving process is after the plating. So you're shipment date is still the same.

Rookwood: Yes and No.
No the software is program in that order alrealdy Burst/Usr/Lo/NOP/Set.
Yes that this could happen due to noise.

What I normally look for is the quick flash, ~2-3 seconds after the light have been turn ON. This usually tell me that the next time I turn it on it will have the same setting.

jefft

Enlightened
OK, Jonathan, I've just done something that I've never done before. I have purchased a duplicate (well almost, went with a different emitter) light. I haven't felt the need to buy an extra light from anywhere, be it custom or routine retail, until now. PayPal sent for another Draco. (also listed on your purchase thread)
This light is _that_ good.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to tell you how fantastic "Draco" is.

Fit and finish is excellent, and light output and beam quality is nothing short of amazing for anything in this size class. :aaa:

The Flupic makes this light as practical as it is amazing !

You "knocked one out of the park" with "Draco" Jonathan (Modamag) :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think you have set a new benchmark, and that the Draco is destined for legendary status.

Bravo !! :clap: :thumbsup: :party: :buddies: :wow: :goodjob: :rock:

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Alright...settle down ! You're making me lust for my unshipped Ti Draco..... I'm starting to get flashlight withdrawal. :rant:

Cliff

and that's a good thing.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr_Joe, You forgot to tell us whether you "like" the light or not.
crackup.gif

BTW, you can take that poop eating grin off your face now
Sen_Smilewide.gif

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Jonathan,

Can you tell us the relative setting intensity between the FluPiC and CC driver settings?

As I understand it, the constant current driver has a High and Low setting - is there a way to compare that to the FluPIC settings?

And speaking of FluPIC, is the Burst mode equal to the highest of the ten user settings?

This light has been used in a power failure! It did very well in my computer lab at work - I was able to go in in near-total darkness and reset the power supplies. I'm so glad I had the Draco.:thumbsup:

Thanks
Chris

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rookwood said:
Jonathan,

Can you tell us the relative setting intensity between the FluPiC and CC driver settings?

As I understand it, the constant current driver has a High and Low setting - is there a way to compare that to the FluPIC settings?
I'll jump in until Jonathan can give you an exact answer. The CC board only has one speed - somewhere in the 300mA to 350mA range. The original design was for 2 speeds, but there was just not enough room on the board to accomplish that.

Burst on the Flupic is in the 600mA range and low is around 40mA. User set level can be anything in between.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
clapcheer.gif
clapcheer.gif
clapcheer.gif
clapcheer.gif
clapcheer.gif
clapcheer.gif

17222.gif
17222.gif
17222.gif
17222.gif
17222.gif
17222.gif

clap9jf.gif
t_ups.gif
clap9jf.gif

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Way to go is right!! I've been laying low to let the light speak for itself and it looks like its yelling out YES YES YESS!! And I love mine Jonathan!

I set the Draco on level FIVE which is about half brightness and walked the dog for over half an hour and still had juice when I got back home.

Another great thing is I set it on level ONE which is VERY low and actually LOWER than the stock low setting. The new FLuPIC version with the slower scrolling through the set level setting is much better too. Way to got Goldserve!

This will indeed be a classic and there is more to come yet! We still need to hear about the awesome Turbo head and the AAA body size and the wicked Ti versions!! One more thing, I have a sweeet little surprise coming that will be a first, despite what my good friend JimH says. :D

-- Stay tuned! ---

bravo.gif

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just couple quick production update.

1. I think all the FluPIC orders (that was paid in full as of Sunday) have been shipped.

2. I had a little stumble on the CC light. I forgot to ready the instructions before assembly :duh: It must be the sleep deprevation. After reinstating the instruction verbatim from dat2zip, I was able to assemble 5 units. The assembly of these are a little slower than but the performance is just as great. I showed goldserve a side-by-side comparison between the two unit you can barely tell the difference. Thank you GOD for that log scale brightness response.

3. On the other side of the production front ... Ti Draco. If you like the machining of the Al Draco you will love the finish of the Ti version, I surely did. Personally it will be a very very hard decision for me regarding which Draco to EDC. I tempted to NOT polish these baby ... hum :thinking: :confused:

Final question ... "have anyone tried the Turbo head"? love it? hate it? What's the verdict?

Rookwood: The CC setting is most likely a tid bit brighter than any light in similar size and form factor.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I'm glad you asked that question Johnathan, I've read all kinds of kind word and praises about Draco but nothing about the Turbo-head. How about it folks, worth it, not worth it ???

And Johnathan, any pics of the assembled TiCN Ti's to whet our appetites ??

Cliff

loalight

Enlightened
the turbo head is great. it works especially nicely with the AAA extension. the beam looks beautiful, considerably more focussed.

the reason i didn't mention it is because the Draco w/ McR-11 is just blowing me away. I haven't much felt the need yet for more reflector. perhaps on my next camping trip...

david

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
Final question ... "have anyone tried the Turbo head"? love it? hate it? What's the verdict?
Hate it - now I have another impossible decision to make. Do EDC the perfect standard head, or do I EDC the perfect turbo head. My brain is going "tilt". I got a terrible feeling this is going to cost me more money
smoker.gif